Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Location of aileron links on biplane?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Location of aileron links on biplane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 02:48 AM
mrbonk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Location of aileron links on biplane?

Greetings,
Just curious if it matters where I put the link that joins the upper & lower ailerons on my World Models Ultimate 120. The instructions don't actually tell you where to mount the horns, just that you *need* to do so. I was going to put them right next to the aileron control horns, to avoid any potential twisting of the lower aileron under flying load. Is this necessary, or doesn't it really matter where I put them?
Old 03-20-2002, 04:16 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On both my Sig Hog Bipe and my 1/4 scale Cermark Pitts I had the aileron interconnecting rods between 1/3 and 1/2 way into the aileron. Both setups worked fine.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:41 PM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Bonk,

Two quick guidance points on aileron links -

1) Place the link closely in line with the control horn linking to the servo. This will yield the stiffest control.

2) Place the link point (in side view) in the same position on the top and bottom aileron. In other words, if you link on top of the aileron, do it the same on both. This will provide for the same deflection on both ailerons.

If you want to get fancy, try a forward of hinge line link. This requires something like a horizontal horn. It helps mass balance the ailerons and is how many of the full scale bipes do it.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 04-01-2002, 05:37 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr. Bonk:
Onone of my World Ultimates I placed the inter-aileron link at the center of the ailerons (lengthwise). The attachpoints were placed as far forward on the aileron as possible, both being at identical locations.

On the second World Ultimate, I placed the link behind the interplane strut in the attempt to minimize drag. Same forward locations as #1. Neither placement showed any increase in performance over the other. No flex or flutter has ever been noticed.
Silversurfer
Old 11-18-2005, 06:57 AM
PMJC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Location of aileron links on biplane?

I'm working on a Great Planes Ultimate, the top wing servo wiring to the fuse is new to me. Anyone have a clean dependable system they wouldn't mind sharing?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:37 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Location of aileron links on biplane?

I just built a WM Ultimate, As I recall, if you look closely, you'll see where they have pin holes in the covering where the horns should go.

In any case, you want them to be as close to the Aileron's Trailing edge as possible
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18542.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	356293