Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ducted Fan housing

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ducted Fan housing

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 02:40 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ducted Fan housing

I plan to make a trainer DF out of a highly modified 120 Lanier stinger. I want to mount the engine (K&B .82-dynamax) on top of the wing. What dimensions should I make the inlet and exhaust for the DF unit?

I have read the inlet should be about 100% +- 10% of the fan area and the outlet about 10% smaller. Is there a good rule of thumb for length in front of the fan and behind?

The goal will to train to fly a 1/5 HE-162 at 15 pounds built from VTH plans balsa, ply and glassed.

Thanks Carl

Old 11-18-2005, 11:17 PM
donniercjet
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Ducted Fan housing

for something like that i would set the fan as close to the front as possible a inch inside the inlet would be ideal you can draw all the air your fan can suck in for the thrust tube (aft of the fan) do you want the pipe concealed?? if i were to build this setup i would make the thrust tube around 16 to 20 inches long my mig-15s thrust tube is 26 inches long start out with 5 in. (dynamax shroud) and exit with a 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 inches if your flying off of grass if you have a hard surface (concrete etc...) i might even go 4 inches at the tail thats 20% less than the fan diameter good luck with your project lets see some pics when your finished donniercjet
Old 11-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

carl,Balsa USA sells their enforcer setup for a Byron fan. They have a cowl unit that would be simple and clean to make for a HE-162 setup. It uses the os91 and byro fan at about 13lbs thrust. I am not sure if the plans are sold with theenforcer or if it is a n aftermarket setup.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:03 AM
carlbecker

I found a BVM setup for the HE-162. 13 pounds of thrust. I fly off of grass only.

For this DF Stinger its just something as cheap as possible to get some experience with DF. I don't care about looks in the least. I was thinking about trying to copy somewhat the feel of the HE-162 so I should mount the fan very close to the lip and have a longish tapered outlet?

I wore out a Stinger but really liked it and its pretty cheap so I thought I might really get into trouble doing this.

Carl
Old 11-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This going to lead to another "Becker Originals" that we can look forward to in the future?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:26 AM
carlbecker

I'm not sure what it will lead to but it might be "interesting"[:-]