Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

new engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:56 PM
xplayer930

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new engine

I have a GP giant extra 300L an have decided on powering it with a Super tiger G4500. I saw one fly with this motor an it seemed to pull pretty good besides the gas consumption.lol How much does this eninge usaully cost. thanks!
Old 11-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: new engine

Why? With cost of fuel, you could buy several gas engines. I had a used one for a few flights, 16oz of fuel= 7 minutes! A side from that, you should talk to the owner of that engine, I know that a lot of people had to get different carbs for them and you have to add a pump and I'm not sure what else to make them reliable, I didn't want to deal with it.

You might want to check in the warbird forum, I have noticed that a few people use them in scale projects.

Is a ST-4500 equal to a ZDZ 80? The 80cc or 100cc is the engine you should be running anyway.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:14 PM
xplayer930

i just got back from the hobby shop an they told me im outta my mind cuz ill burn up too much fuel. How about a zenoah 80cc twin? Im goin for the best bang for the buck.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

I think you would be happier with a used 4.2 (75cc) sach's type engine, there around $400.00
Old 11-27-2005, 03:03 PM
xplayer930

can you find them on ebay? DO they have electronic egnition?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I have seen a few 4500 tigers run ,seemed ok for power but the gas bill was nutz. 4 flights on a gallon of fuel is way to much for me. Theres a varity of engines you could use, but I would not go with a glow engine myself in a plane of this size.
Ebay ,RCU are good places to look for a good used engine ,also some of the manufacturers have used reconditioned engines,for less than new.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:01 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: xplayer930

i just got back from the hobby shop an they told me im outta my mind cuz ill burn up too much fuel. How about a zenoah 80cc twin? Im goin for the best bang for the buck.

Wow. You have an honest hobby shop there. They could have sold you the engine and seen a lot of you when you came in for fuel every few flights!

Ask them what they recommend and order through them if it's reasonable. Folks like that earn our business with good will.

BobbyG

Old 11-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've run a ST4500. I needed a Cline Regulator to make it work right. But, thats only because I wanted the tank on the CG.

The fuel bill was rediculous. I was running the cheapest glow fuel that I could get my hands on. 5% Omega at $12.50 per gallon. For a 15 minute flight--I needed a 32oz. tank. Thats over $3.00 per flight.

Shoot!! It cost me almost $25 worth of fuel just to break it in enough to fly it.. Yeah, 2 gallons of fuel just to get the cross hatch slightly worn off the cylinder and get a semi-decent idle.

I sold that sucker REAL QUICK. Lost a bunch of money on it too. Had to practically GIVE the thing away.

You can sometimes pick up a GT-80 on Ebay for $600. Thats what I paid for mine NIB. Add a C&H ignition system, and you got a NIB GT-80 for less than what Horizon wants for them.

You won't find too many ZDZ80 or DA100 on ebay. I had too look for 6 months to find my GT-80. Haven't seen a DA100 on Ebay yet.

I would consider a Quadra too. You can buy them NIB pretty cheap from the manufacturer. They even come with electronic ignition now.

Shoot! The 3W 75 isn't all that expensive. I've never had one--so can't commment on performance or reliability. But, they are cheaper than a ZDZ.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:24 PM
xplayer930

i think im gonna wait it out an look for a used engine liek you guys are suggesting. Damm some times its sux being the poor dental student lol. It also sux cuz i cant build the fuse till i got the engine. I think on Great planes part that was a mistake.[&o]
Old 11-28-2005, 11:29 PM
tkilwein

I have two st4500's they run a 20-22x10 prop here and burn approx 2.5oz per minute wide open.
Much less when not full stick.
They were my second and third big engine, a st3000 my first. Money budget prevented me from buying a 3W or DA.
I now have a used 3W150TS and a brand new DA100.
All three st's needed a pump when the tank was below the carb.
There is a insert that goes inside the carb barrel that helps alot for fuel draw, without a pump.
On mine I found out using 15% omega green was a good fuel to use.
When it is cold out it takes a FEW MINUTES of the starter to get it fired up. they do not like the cold. Then let them warm up before flying or you will deadstick. Personal experience several times on this one.

the ST4500's from Tower was $279 new + $39 for muffler + shipping.

If money is not a problem go with a gasser.

Hope this helps.

Tony