Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

CA Hinges on UCD

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

CA Hinges on UCD

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 02:50 PM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CA & Crayon marking

Originally posted by coomarlin
As far as the "Crayon trick" is concerned I'm not sure I believe it actually does anything. Think about it..........thin CA has the consistancy of water. If it can flow 1/2 inch from the center to the outer edge of the hinge, it isn't going to have any problem flowing beneith the crayon mark on the hinge.

Check the pic below
I think the crayon technique does have merit .

Only the outer fiber layer of a CA hinge will absorb and flow the the CA glue, the center of the hinge is solid and no CA will flow through it. Marking the center with a crayon fills those fibers with wax. The CA will not bond to and is slightly repelled by the wax, the same reason why we use wax paper over our plans when building. That leaves the center of the hinge CA free and therfore less likely to become brittle and crack from the CA.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:53 AM
archer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Hinges on UCD

Black "greese" pencil is even better then crayon. The biggest thing that the mark does is prevent buildup of excess glue at the hing line that could make it more brittle.
I think the gap seal with monocote is probably the best preventative for breakage though. Avoids any hint of flutter and if you see any pull away you can tell where areas of stress are.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:46 PM
leroifort

Default CA Hinges on UCD

crayon

sorry, but my english is not very good
in my mind "crayon" is a fat stuff like "pastel", drawing a line at hinge gap with that stuff should in fact protect the hinges from the CIA to go inside
Am I correct?
Old 01-14-2003, 07:28 PM
StarskiPZ

Default Hi Lero

Your english is fine,

Crayon is that coloured wax used frequently by children, you know, when you were a kid - did you not deliberately leave them on the radiators to watch them melt down - messy.

guilty!!
Old 01-14-2003, 07:38 PM
leroifort

Default CA Hinges on UCD

in fact, thanks I see exactly what u mean now
Old 01-14-2003, 09:33 PM
brittain

Default CA Hinges on UCD

I haven't noticed anyone talking about air speed and flutter. This type of aircraft is not designed for full throttle flight. The only time you should ever think about full throttle is when you are heading straight up! I had mentioned my DP Extra 330L in an earlier post. It has a Taurus 2.6 and hovers at around 1/3 throttle. I've been doing waterfalls, walls, blenders, and the like all season and the Radio South CA hinges are in fine shape. The only time I've seen folks at our field blow CA hinges has been flutter related, and flutter is related to air speed, slop in linkages, and open gaps on hinge lines.

BTW there is a pix of my Extra at http://home.attbi.com/~wbrittain1/
Old 01-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Default Very nice....

Extra. That is a real pretty plane. How she fly?

OBTW - I used Radiosouth hinges in my UCD as well. No issues. Not even after the plane tore through some trees....

Pug
Old 01-14-2003, 10:57 PM
StarskiPZ

Default high speed & flutter

hi folks!

Yep I got this problem once in a too long a dive....

One thing I noticed with some of these 3-D & Funfly models is that some of the trailing edges are quite 'square' in profile ie-don't taper to a fine aerofoil shape.
This must be a significant factor for flutter?
Old 01-15-2003, 01:31 AM
Extra300s7
My Feedback: (36)

Default CA Hinges on UCD

I would have to agree on the flutter issue. The only time I had CA hinges fail was in my Sig Extra300XS, high speed full throttle split S down wind (oops ), flutter on the aileron ripped it right out of the wing! I did love the screaming sound though

Also, what type of CA hinge? Is it just their standard CA hinge? For the bigger planes I use Radio South 1/4 scale CA hinges as well, never had a problem!

I thing I might have to get me one of them just to try it out

Justin
Old 01-15-2003, 01:43 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CA Hinges on UCD

The CA hinge failures on my UCD had nothing at all to do with flutter. Vibration?......maybe. Extreme control throws?.....maybe. But flutter?......no way.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:25 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CA Hinges on UCD

Originally posted by Dave McDonald
Unfortunately, sealed gaps didn't prevent CA hinges from breaking on several other planes I've had
A great many people have used ca hinges with complete success. You have an issue with many planes in your fleet which points to something you're doing differently. are you using thin ca ? sometimes improperly stored thin ca becomes thicker and unuseable for ca hinges. it's gotta be real thin. as someone pointed out earlier, or you'll get a brittle hinge line. why not you detail your method of hinging and perhaps someone can spot the difference.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:09 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CA Hinges on UCD

why not you detail your method of hinging and perhaps someone can spot the difference.
Already did that. Go back to the first page of this thread.