Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

MODEL TECH EXTRA 300 QUESTION

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

MODEL TECH EXTRA 300 QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:30 AM
BULLSEYE
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MODEL TECH EXTRA 300 QUESTION

I am in the process of buying the Model Tech Extra 300 .25-.36

Here is my question:

What 4-stroke Saito or O.S. engine would you recommend? I was thinking of buying the Saito FA-50, but thought that maybe it would be too heavy. I didn’t know if the Saito FA-40 would be too weak. I want to have unlimited vertical, but also keep the weight down. When I looked at the specs for this plane, it only lists 2-Stroke recommendations of .25-.36. Please help!!

Jose (aka Bullseye)
Old 12-13-2005, 03:05 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MODEL TECH EXTRA 300 QUESTION

I haven't tried a 4 stroke in mine. I'm running an old worn out OS .25 FSR ABC (about the same as an OS .25 FX). The plane balanced without any additional weight. I used Hitec Mighty Mini servos for the control surfaces and a HS 81 for throttle - which equates to about 3oz of servos and 10oz of engine. I don't get unlimited vertical but the plane is very fast and a absolute blast to fly. If you go with the Saito FA-40 which weighs about 10oz, I don't think you will get the unlimited vertical that you seek. The .40 spins a 10/6 prop at less than 11K. If you went with an OS .32FX which can spin the same prop at about 6-7K more RPM, I have no doubt that you will get the unlimited vertical that you seek. Be careful though as this plane is very low to the ground. I had to re-bend my landing gear and use larger wheels than what was supplied to keep from mowing the lawn with a 9/6.
If it were my money, I'd buy the OS 32FX ($125.00, an OS pitts muffler $33.00), and 4 gallons of fuel for what you'd pay for the Saito 52.
Using a 4 stroke does not guarantee more performance.

You will love the plane, it's one of my favorites. Easy to see in the air, very aerobatic and fast, stable, cheap.... The list goes on.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Saito, but I have no experience with it. But I think if you want the vertical, you need the .52 four stroke, or the .3X size 2 stroke. Keep the weight down with mini servos ect. Light flies right.

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2005, 03:16 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MODEL TECH EXTRA 300 QUESTION

I don't think a big 4 stroke is a good choice for this plane. It's already a bit heavy, and it has a very thin airfoil. It ends up a bit nose heavy even with a 2 stroke. Mine has a Webra .32 and vertical is nearly unlimited (hasn't reached orbit yet). The plane would be happier with a good .36 and a low pitch prop than a small, underpowered, or a larger, but heavier, 4 stroke. If you really want a 4 stroke, the weight of a Saito 40 is in the same range as the .36 engines, so it might be worth a try, but I doubt you would get unlimited vertical. The next larger size 4 stroke is going to be too heavy, IMO.