Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

hate to be a noob, buuuutttt.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:09 PM
rock_the_stock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hate to be a noob, buuuutttt.....

i see that general discussion is suffering from lack of noob threads . but anywho, i would like to get into nitro, i currently have an electric buggy, and would like a nitro off-road vehicle. ive been eying the nitro rustler, but i noticed some traxxas products (mainly the maxxes) seem to be overpriced compared to other brands. if you pea-oples have a nitro truck to sugest that is preferably under $300 dollars, please do so. also discuss the pros and cons and whathaveyou if you would like, you know the deal.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:28 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: hate to be a noob, buuuutttt.....

I don't post much in the car forums(I'm more of a plane guy), so others may have more up-to-date info, but my first nitro car was an RC10GT plus RTR. It was rugged, pretty fast, and came with good equipment out of the box. I thought it was a pretty good intro to nitro cars, loads of fun and really bulletproof. I have since sold it and moved on to a monster GT, but I would definitely consider another RC10GT if I could afford to run multiple cars...
Old 12-20-2005, 03:00 PM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

what you need to do is look at a few variables before making your decision. your first one is made with your price of under $300. next you need to look at intentions, and support. if you are relying on a local hobby shop for quick access to parts replacements, you'll need to consider what brands they carry and stock parts for. what type of terrain will you be driving on, is racing something you plan on getting into? the rc10gt is a very popular choice because it is a proven racer, great price, and simple to work on. it may not be best for you, but if your looking for a 2wd stadium truck with or without the possibility of racing in the future, it would be a great choice.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:47 PM
rock_the_stock

yes well i know that, im really only going to be bashing around, seeing as how there are no tracks anywhere near my city. my LHS are not very good, so i would be relying on TH mostly. i probably wont go crazy with hop-ups either, other than the usual here-and-there upgrades. whats better about the rc10GT than the nitro rustler? thanks for your hellp.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Smiff 24

Well I like traxxas stuff pretty well so....
ive got a elec. Stampede and have had all kinds of fun with it !!!!!!!!
Ive also thought it would be a great nitro to add someday .
So my vote would be the nitro Stampede. (if you want a truck)
$ 299 at THobbies
Old 12-20-2005, 10:32 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: rock_the_stock

my LHS are not very good, so i would be relying on TH mostly. i probably wont go crazy with hop-ups either, other than the usual here-and-there upgrades. whats better about the rc10GT than the nitro rustler? thanks for your hellp.
Associated has a long history and generally good parts availability through all channels, mail order and LHS. Since there's no onboard starter, the RC10GT is mechanically simpler(a good thing, less to break), and lighter I believe as well. This benefits twofold--it's easier to get better handling and acceleration performance from a lighter vehicle, all other factors equal, and secondly, less mass=less inertia, meaning you have to crash harder to break stuff(not that the rustler is fragile by any accounts). I'm pretty sure the rustler is faster out of the box itf that's importand to you, but speed isn't everything. Another thing to consider is the engine, both performance and tractability. I know that the RC10GT stock engine(AE .15) is made by thunder tiger and is a solid, reliable unit--the couple people I know running the AE(myself included) have had good experiences with it--once broken in, it's pretty much set and forget, unless there are braod swings in temperature or humidity. On the other hand, both here on the boards and at the LHS, it seems that a lot of people have issues with the traxxas 2.5. Probably nothing wrong with it for the experienced user, but the last thing you need when you're new to nitro is an engine that won't readily hold a tune. just my 2 cents...
Old 12-24-2005, 12:13 PM
TRAXXAS829

Well i'm 10 and i'm getting the Fun Factor MT2 tomorrow. I've researched it and decided that it looked durable, pretty fast, and fun. What do you think?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:49 PM
rock_the_stock

well scratch that, i think im going to go for a savage as soon as i am able, moneywise. unfortunatley, im not wealthy enought to receive one for christmas.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:20 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Get one used. Check in the [link=www.rcuniverse.com/market]RCU Market[/link] and type in, "Savage" in the search. I'm sure there is something for you. I scored a Savage 25 with 1 gallon through it, Integy aluminum shocks, Proline Mambo rims and Big Joe tires for $275 shipped.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:48 PM
rock_the_stock

yeah i was thinking about used. sounds like a good idea if i dont want to break the engine in...
Old 12-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Nitro Rustler Racer

if you want a truck that will take serious beating, and is reliable, both the RC10GT and the nitro rustler will fit you, but....rc1ogt's parts are a bit more expensive then the nitro rustler, to keep the rustler running strong, you need to maitaince it well, the rc10gt you dont have to as much, both strucks are nice, i havent driven the gt, but i own a rustler, and for the past 5 years(as long as i woned it) i stripped the differential once, and broke and engine mount, and a spur gear, thats it, this hobby isnt cheap, no matter what you get