Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What Batteries For 28%

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Young-RCPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Batteries For 28%

Hello Guys, I was wondering where you get your batteries from and what kind do you think I will need for a 28% Plane Running one reciever and what size do you think I should run for the Ignition. Also I know this hase been asked a lot but what do you think is better Nicad or Nimh I think Nimh would be better but thats just what I have heard. Also I dont want to spend to much I have $70 rite now, so something thats not over $100 for both.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Young-RCPilot

Default RE: What Batteries For 28%

Thought I would let you know the plane is the new 28% AeroTech Yak.

Old 12-27-2005, 03:22 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

NIMH get a 1200 for the ignition and 6v 1500 or higher for the receiver...I run 1500mah nimh on my 27% without problems, but I don't fly 10 flights a day only 4 or 5 and I charge them before each flying day...Another thing to make sure of is that your charger can handle Nimh and max mah..My Ace chargers only go to 1500mah so for larger capacity I have to use a different charger.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Young-RCPilot

Whats the difference between using a 4.0V pack VS a 6.0V pack for the Ignition, I know that if you run 6.0 on the reciever it gets better performance out of your servo's but what does it do for the Ignition?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

If you are using a 3W ignition, they recommend a minimum of 6 volts going to it to avoid overheating issues. Most igniton boxes are similar, but aren't as sensitive to voltage as 3W's. I would very much advise 6V for RX. The other option would be a 2 cell Li-ion 2800mah pack. You could fly all weekend with one of those. I don't run regulators because they aren't needed, but if it makes you feel comfortable you could put one of those in to. That combo wouldn't be over $70 if you have a Li charger.

NiMH batteries are better than NiCADs in pretty much every aspect, not least of which they don't develop a "memory" like NiCAD cells do.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get a nice 6V battery from www.radicalrc.com

Click the 3rd link to the right (Battery packs, NiCad, NiMH, & Parts)

Click on Reciever packs. Go to the second page.

About 1/2 way down the page is a black 6V pack with 2/3A size cells. It's 1050mah and high discharge.

I'd put 2 of those on the RX with a seperate switch for each battery. Plug the switchs/batteries into any unsed port on the RX. It's all one big power buss inside the RX.

Moving on to page 3:
There is a 1650mah 6V MH pack with standard AA size cells. Thats what I'd use for the ignition.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:56 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Some ignition systems can not use 6v so make sure prior to buying the battery which one yours can handle...
Old 12-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

If you fly foamies, I started a thread and was surprized by how many people where using their 2 cell Li-Poly's in their planes. (many of these where 40%'s)

I will on my next plane.

BTW, I do not use regulators either with my Li's. (six years now)
Old 12-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Darrinc
BTW, I do not use regulators either with my Li's. (six years now)
Darrinc,

You've got me convinced to give the Li-Ions a try without regulators whenever I have to replace my battery packs in my 28%er. Up till now I haven't gone that route because of the regulators. Just no advantage other than flight times with the Li's as compared to the NiMH by the time you figure in the regs.....

My set up on my 28%er is an 1100 mAh 4 cell on the ignition, and one 1950 NiMH 5 cell dual lead/ switches on the receiver. The 1950 is a low impedance cell so it works very well. My other 28%er has same ignition pack, but two 1100 NiMH 5 cell packs/ 2 switches. Both set ups are good for 7-15 minute flights.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:33 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On my BME Edge II I have a Fromeco.org 2800 NIMH into a reg and into the rx, and another one for the ignition.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Young-RCPilot

I have heard that if you dont use a regulator for the reciever it will burn out all your servo's and reciever, and so I also stayed away from Lithium because of the regulators. Also my charger says Lithium Ion and could i still charge Lithiums?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

You heard wrong. I run a Futaba reciever with Hitec servo's, and have ran a few Futaba servo's but not much, and my friend runs JR receivers and Hitec and JR servos with no problems over the years.

As far as the charger goes, a Li-ion charger will charge a Li-poly pack and vice versa.

ORIGINAL: Young-RCPilot

I have heard that if you dont use a regulator for the reciever it will burn out all your servo's and reciever, and so I also stayed away from Lithium because of the regulators. Also my charger says Lithium Ion and could i still charge Lithiums?