Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Test Flying New Radio's,,, anybody else still do it??,,,

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Test Flying New Radio's,,, anybody else still do it??,,,

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 12:20 PM
bofrcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Flying New Radio's,,, anybody else still do it??,,,

Hey guy's!! When I buy a new radio system,, I've got an old hack,,(1/4 scale bridi rearwin speedster) that I install it in. I feel a lot more comfortable knowing things work,, and the range is good,,(can't beat haveing the plane 1500' away,,, and the anntena pointed either directly at it,, or 180 degree's from it!!),, after anywhere from 3-6 flight's on the new radio,, I'm ready to install it in my new or good plane. This has been a practice of mine for almost 40 years. (first radio,,was a 10 channel orbit reed set!!),,(btw,,took 2 channels to perform 1 function,,ie 1 channel for up elevator,, and another,,for down elevator),, yeah,, I know,, modern technology has advanced the manufactureing process greatly!!,,, BUT you can plug eveything together on the bench,, wiggle the sticks,, do a range check,, and you still ,, well,, DON'T KNOW !! Oh,, yeah,, the guy's in my club are somewhat amused,,(and,, in my thinking,,lucky) that I do this,, my son just rolls his eyes !!,, I can't believe that anybody with the more expensive planes,, giant and jets,, don't do this!!,, when I buy servo's,, their flight tested,,, reciever's,, same thing,, when I'm asked if I think this is necessary,,, I say no I don't THINK it,, I KNOW it!!,,,LOL,,,,yes,, I've had to repair the speedster,, yes,, I've seen guy's take a brand new plane,, new engine,,and not make it once around the field,,reducing it to junk!! It used to be standard operating procedure,,(years ago),, to test fly a new,, or repaired radio,,(still a good idea) OK,, the 64$ question I guess is,, do any of you guy's still do this??,,ok,thanks for reading this,, btw,, the "bof" in my handle,, stands for "bullheaded old fart" ,,LOL,,hope to hear some reply's!!
Old 12-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Test Flying New Radio's,,, anybody else still do it??,,,

Considering what it takes to mount 10 servo's in one plane, no.

Also I do not have a beater 35% to 40% to test fly my system.

The systems are pretty simple, they either work or they don't. Heck, I only range check on the maiden.

It has worked for me for 13 years.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought a ne JR 945 receiver. I'll test fly it for about 5 - 6 flights before I put it in the new 36% Katana, that I bought it for.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Banche

wiw I would be too anctious to test fly anything like that, hehe I would just go right out and do fly it...
Old 12-22-2005, 06:39 PM
TXDA2000
My Feedback: (2)

I performed the first flight on my 14MZ in a Composite-ARF 40% Extra. I did a proper range check of course.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Bob Laine

To each his own. I prefer to burn in new servos and receiver, transmitter and servo components in a less costly aircraft. Being a ham radio operator, and building a lot of my own gear, I understand that the first hour on new equipment is the most critical.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:43 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Receiver gets stuck in a old model for a day's flying before being put in a larger bird, servos I have never worried about.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:51 PM
tkilwein

I normally fly a new receiver in a 2meter glider for a few weeks, then everything goes in the intended plane.
Servos I run using the built in servo test in the futaba 9ZHPS menu.
I let this run for approx 1 hour in 15 minute tests, then ready to go. During the test I add resistance to the servo arms and let them
get go into/get close to a stall condition to see if they drop out. I use both analog and digital servos.

My latest lawn dart is a 36% katana with DA100 , HS5955TG servos, power is thru two Fromoco regulators feed with 7.4v 4000mah lipos going to 2 Futaba PCM129 receivers and to the HS5955TG servos. A 1900mah nimh for the ignition.

I have to say in 20+ years, I have had a problem with one servo and 1 crystal, this is with a large assortment of equipment so it is not
a test of a few parts. Over 60+ servos and 14+ receivers.

This does not include parts wearing out with usage over time.

Just my two cents worth.

Tony

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61581.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	377142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21442.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	377143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18072.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	377144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83705.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	377145  
Old 12-30-2005, 07:30 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Even with the smaller planes if I have a new radio and a plane I am very fond of I will test the receiver/bettery/switch in another bird of less value to me.

I still remember Citizenship!

JEB
Old 12-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Bob Laine

Tkilwein, I'm building one of the Katana 36% ARF'S myself. Hope to test it in the next couple of weeks. I'm also useing a DA 100, with All Hitec 5945's two on rudder, four on ailerons, two on elevators, and noe 5645 on throttle. I'm using two JR 945 receivers, two fromeco, 7.4 volt, 4800 "lithium ion's for reveivers with fromeco regulators, and a fromeco 7.4 volt, 2400 ion W/regulator for ignition.

BPS, I still remember The FM Matador, Mule, PCS, Bonner, Gallaxie, Orbit, and Babcock... Citizenship SH 100 escapement's and the Royal.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:59 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I test flew my new 2.4 SPEKTRUM this week - -in a very expensive foamie----
The Rx looks like something off a bubble pak assortment in the grocery store - just two little pieces of vac formed plastic to cover some chips and 6 sets of servo prongs and two 3" long antenna wires sticking out - 8 grams all up
But I bet you it will work with a 40% gasser -if you know how to fly in close! no crystal - no slugs to tune -
I fly 53.00 stuff (ham) on all my other stuff -to avoid the current onslaught of 72.00 newbies with RTF models -just toooooo spooky . (whut's these numbers mean Jebbie?)
I am definately going to try it in my Seniorita just for shucks .
Old 12-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Bob Laine

It's amazing how the electronic's have changed over the years. I also fly on the Ham Bands (50 mhz). I'll bet if you wanted to sit down and work on it you could design an amplifier that would even extend the range of that receiver without adding hardly anything to the weight of it. Bet it works just fine in the "Sernorita" Let us know.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

This is what a simple system looks like in a 35%.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14129.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	377987