Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ignition question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 04:25 PM
iwannafly
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition question

I am building a bird that is going to be nose heavy. I have installed a zdz 40 and am going to mount as much on-board electronic and servos in the tail as possible to help with achieving the CG. My question is this. Is it a safe procedure to install the ignition batt. in the tail along side and close to the rx and other componets or does this present the danger of interference?
Old 11-19-2002, 06:16 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ignition battery's wires can radiate ignition noise and interfere with the receiver. Keep all of the ignition components up front. Perhaps a light weight Duralite battery would help ease the weight situation in the nose.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:07 PM
iwannafly

OK. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-19-2002, 10:08 PM
kevin mcgrath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All engine related electronics MUST be kept as far as possible from the airframe related components.This includes all wiring,on off switches and batteries.Most builders put the engine stuff on either side of the firewall,and the plane stuff as far back in the fuse as possible and I have more than once put a rx or battery near the tail with hatch access on the bottom of the fuse.The bigger the plane the less critical is the plane radio location from a CG location point of view......
Old 11-26-2002, 02:28 AM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

Default Maybe its time to rethink

Traditional theory has it that you have to completely separate engine ignition stuff from other electronic stuff. However, with modern engines with well shielded electronics (ZDZ, 3W, DA for example) you seem to be able to mount servos very close (3-4" )from the carb and get away with it. At this year's TOC in Las Vegas, most of the planes had some components (usually servos) of the radio electronics right up close to the engine and its ignition. It may not be recommended, but people are doing it more and more.

Gerry Rosebery