Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Designing engine nacelles.

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Designing engine nacelles.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 04:23 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Designing engine nacelles.

I'm bashing a Cloud Dancer 120 into a twin. When it comes to designing the engine nacelles what is the best way to go about doing this? I have a general idea of what I'm going to do worked out in my mind. The centerline of the nacelles will be out one inch more than the diameter of the largest prop that the engines that I will use can use. I'm talking out the taper of the wing from the wing root to the out side of the nacelles. This will all be constant cord then the wind will taper from there. Where I'm hung up on right now is how the nacelle relates to the wing's dihedral. Do I made the nacelle level with the wing so it will be tilted up with the wind or do I make to lop sided so the nacelle will be level wile sitting on the slanted wing?
Old 11-21-2002, 08:29 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Default Twin Design

My two cents is that the twist of the nacels would look better to follow the wings. Thrust is not a problem. Do not install the fire walls until you mount the engines to them and pin in various places alone your naceles to get the proper balance or you will end up adding unnecessary weight.
This of course is with the radio installed to check balance.
Good luck,
Twinman
Old 11-23-2002, 09:09 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default Designing engine nacelles.

Yeah before I put on the nacelles I'm going to make some sliding mounts for the engines so I can find out how far they need to stick out. Then I'll make the nacelles with that measurement in mind.

Hey I saw an ad for the Top Flight DC-3 It has the engines thrust set so the left engine has left trust and the right engine had right thrust. Is this a good set up or is it better just to have them set dead ahead?
Old 11-23-2002, 09:17 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Default DC -3

The idea of the outward offset is to reduce the snap roll during engine out. Example, if the right engine dies, the left wing will rise as the fuse yaws due to unequal thrust.
The idea of the left engine deflected out is to reduce the strong yaw inducing wing lift.
If the original is scale for the engine to be out, and you want scale, go for it.
Is it necessary, in my opinion, for a long, large rudder, light wing load plane...not really. I only use offset to correct flying conditions with both engines running.
My two cents.
Good Luck,
Twinman