Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Best way to check for side thrust..Multi engine

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Best way to check for side thrust..Multi engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 09:59 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to check for side thrust..Multi engine

I have my own way of measuring for "side" thrust of multi engines,but would like to know if there is a better way of doing it and be accurate...I use a small carpenter's sqaure to measure for up and down thrust,and no problem there. Any hints or advice on how to do it and be "Accurate"...thanx
Old 11-29-2002, 06:52 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default For what its worth

The robart incidence meter has a slot to mount directly to the crankshaft on the slides for checking downthrust . For out thrust just support wing on a tip and level with carpenters level at the leading edge or on a taped center line and attach the Robart to each engine to get a direct readout. This has worked well for me on my 'bashes'.

John
Old 11-29-2002, 11:26 PM
JohnBuckner

As I said 'for what its worth' and was just offering an alternative method of doing it accurately as well as making no implication that it work for all aircraft configurations. Of course it would be difficult with your big biplane as well as many giant scales.

I did just complete this task on an 85 inch four engine ship with a high wing and indeed it was an easy and accurate procedure on this particular one. Used in this case Two degrees out thrust on the inboards and four on the outboards.

John
Old 11-30-2002, 04:17 AM
JohnBuckner

No Never did here from Jimmy and would be interested in the method he mentioned. Are you still with us Jimmy?

Al Most of my multi's are single piece wing and doing it vertically is easy with out the fuse but plug-in's outboard of a nacelle would be a problem. I have a Stinson Tri motor at 74 inchs thats up through cover now and the nacelle's hang below the wing and with this one I did do the stick in the propshaft method.

John
Old 11-30-2002, 06:14 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sidethrust on Multi

John:

Oh yes,am still kicking....Thanx for the tip..am using it now and it's working out very well..hope to have them all setup by tomorrow and then start to fuel proof the firewalls...will check them out again after this is done...My method was to use a ruler and measure from the LE on both sides of the nacelles, to the prop or 3/8 x 3/4" piece of hardwood maple mount this seemed to work in the last multi I built.....since my multi is a 3 peice wing,it isn't that much of a problem to use your idea..it calls for 0-0 up and down thrust,also 0-0 side thrust..well my left engines will be 0-0,and the right ones + 1-2 degrees side thrust to composite for torque....hopefully this set up will work out..thanx again John.....
BTW,my first multi,didn't work out too good....There is a pic of it and a small explanation as too what happen..check out the Globemaster C-124 thread...........later