Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Giles 202 (1/4 scale ARF)

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Great Planes Giles 202 (1/4 scale ARF)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 04:56 AM
Gerac7
My Feedback: (271)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Giles 202 (1/4 scale ARF)

Would someone out there please help. Has anyone used a gas engine on it with good results? If so what was it. I've got a G-23 I would like to put on it. I know it won't have vertical performance but I'm not a great flyer and just want to have some fun and enjoy gas economy. Please advise asap. Heck, I even would pay for someone for info. Thanks Mike
Old 11-22-2002, 12:07 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have two and my primary plane has a Brison 2.4 gas engine in it. THe plane will be heavy with a gas engine but you should like how it flies. Keep the pitch low and diameter high and you should be OK but you will not have any vertical performance at all.

Let me know of any specific questions you may have.
Old 11-23-2002, 05:52 AM
ltriska

Hi, do not use a g-23 on a g p 202. It will fly it, but you will suffer any aerobatic potenital.(i e dog city) And a us 35 is too heavy. A g38 works pretty well.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:59 AM
Hooked-On-RC

I had two of those ARF's. First one I tip stalled and killed due to lack of experience with planes that like to land fast.

Second one I had fell victim to a structural failure, the fuse snapped in mid flight right in front of the wing. I was using a Weedie conversion 30 cc Chainsaw engine and it flew okay. Could use a lot more power. I would suggest a ZDZ 40 or a Saito 180 if you are into glow. One word of advice, this plane does not like to fly slow due to it's swept wing design and short coupled fuse. Landings can be tricky and they like to land fast. Very nice looking plane with a great color scheme and a pretty nice flier. You can see mine in the photo gallery of www.rcfcbc.com.

I called it "Pucker Factor" cause beleive me it made my ***** hole pucker more than once when I was flying it.

Like I said I used a 30 cc Homelite conversion with a CH ignition. Started very easily and when it flew it flew okay, not unlimited vertical but all other manuvers were good.

My recs are ZDZ40 or Saito 180. Also watch the CG.

Cheers and good flying.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:43 AM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

I have one and it flies pretty ok, but I wish it was a little lighter though. I am using OS 160fx.
Mine weighs 12lb 9oz dry

Going gas is going to make it even more heavy.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:39 AM
Gerac7
My Feedback: (271)

I hope this goes to all of you who replied. Thanks so very much. I swapped it out because I don't want to buy ab expensive gas engine (Bme or

b for it and it probably willbe to heavy with a G-38 on it
Old 11-29-2002, 02:30 PM
ltriska

I really wanted to go gas also, But with the weight, you had to keep the landing speed up. I finally settled on an old Enya 120 i had, and now i can crawl it in nose high and do wheel landings i was never able to do before. It doesn't had unlimited vertical, and won't hover, but it sure does fly better. ( btw, mine broke right behind the wing). A little fiberglass cloth feathered in and almost good as new. Lyle
Old 11-29-2002, 06:56 PM
Geistware

ltriska,
I have had one on glow and gas and while the glow (lighter) plane flew better, the gas could perform the IMAC routine up to intermediate! (My skill limit). I will admit that the gas version is very heavy but you will really notice it if you are trying 3D or during landings. If you have the CG far enough AFT you can land at a fairly slow speed.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:41 AM
ltriska

My first 202 was replaced by Great Planes. They had problems with the balance point. and after looking at the tech alert, and speaking to them, i found out the hard way that all their first info was incorrect. I did remember to thank them for their great customer service, but i'm still disapointed with the plane's performance. Lyle