Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Mustang at 5280 ft. alt.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Top Flite Mustang at 5280 ft. alt.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 01:50 AM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Flite Mustang at 5280 ft. alt.

Well Guys and Gals!

The TF Giant (Scale?) P51D is ready for the engine decision...so far so good. I have a G62 on hand and have had great luck with my other G62 in a Aerotech Eagle at 22 lbs. (The Other Aerotech, I think now out of business.) Running a 22/12 and getting 6500 to 7000 rpms depending on the day.

So far local (Denver) flyers all are telling me that it is too much engine even at this altitude for that aircraft. Yet I seem to remember several posts to RCU that a few other pilots have installed the G62 in theirs. Anyone care to give this ole phart a flight report and or advise as to effiency loss due to altitude.

Other choice would be to go to the RCShow case 80....maybe?

What Say?
And Thanks!
Doug in Denver

Old 11-25-2002, 03:19 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i fly at 1100 feet but i have a g62 for my top flite gs p51, which i am still building. i would say that to get fighter performance a g62 would certainly be a good choice, but you might get by with a 3.2 at 50cc.

the thing to consider is what kind of flight performance do you want? if you want fighter type performance then don't use anything less than the g62. in fact if i was at your altitude i would seriously consider a 4.2 instead of the 3.7 cube g62.

but then i like high speed strafing runs . and i like to pull straight up into a wingover at 300-400 feet and do another strafing run in the other direction

i also like to do maneuvers like double split esses and other non-scale type warbird stuff like that. but i still love it!! even and old timer like me.

so by all means use the g62 at a minimum.

ed
Old 11-25-2002, 06:51 AM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Heheh...I love low fast straffing missions esp. with a nice military victory roll at the end. Lived in a rural home just next to the Loveland Airport where there was a Chapter of Warbirds of America. When they found out I was a P51 lover they made sure that the shingles on the farm were on tight.

Believe me there is nothing that equals the thrill of that Merlin unloading as it goes over at about 75 ft. above ya. :devious:

Well then though, different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:00 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Default G-62

Put the 62 on there. I have flown one of these planes at 25lbs and it is all but perfect! The only downside is the substantial shaking at idle the G-62 produces.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:15 PM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Denver as well and my dad used a Super Tiger 3000 in his GS T/F P-51 and it was a great airplane. And we are the type that love to over power our planes. We think it makes it more fun and you always have power on borad to do what you want. If you have been flying along time youprobably know us? we fly/use to fly out at Chatfield Res. if you need any help let me know!