Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Global Freestyle questions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Global Freestyle questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 04:22 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Global Freestyle questions

Almost finished putting it together. I think it will fit my flying style perfectly (hence my name). I have some questions for you GFS owners out there.

1. Can't make up my mind where to run the antenna wire (top or bottom). Any preferences???

2. I'm pairing it with a newly acquired YS 63 (my first 4 stroke - want to see what all the fuss is about). Do I really need an aluminum spinner??? or will plastic suffice???

3. The gas tank seems to fit better when its mounted upside down. Anyone else notice this??? Is this a problem???

Of course, any opinions/suggestions will be appreciated...

Man....just saw 3 National Guard f-16's flying formation outside my office window...I love my job...
Old 11-26-2002, 05:44 PM
FilipM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the YS63 you should take advantage of its pessurized fuel system and mount the tank as far back as possible, to the front servo tray bulkhead, so it's close to the CG. You will have to cut a hole in cockpit floor and the angled bulkhead to clear the tank though.

You don't absolutely need an aluminum spinner as I know people who run plastic ones safely on 4-strokes but I would not take the risk myself. Plus plastic spinners are hard to align and mount because you have to match everything to the spinner's screwholes or plastic locking tabs- and you have to do it every time you change props. So I would reccomend an aluminum spinner.

I would just run the antenna inside the fuselage in a plastic tube. I only recently started doing this and have had no trouble with it.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:17 PM
Ernie Misner

About 6 months ago there was a nice little writeup about the Freestyle in the AMA magazine. They put a YS 63 in the one they tested also and said it was an awsome combination. Using stock arf tanks with that much pressure might be a problem.....

Ernie
Old 11-26-2002, 06:53 PM
jon595
My Feedback: (2)

Default YS 63

I ran the stock tank, but already had the canopy glued on prior to installing the tank. If I had to do it over again I would move tank to the cockpit area. As I got more experience with it, the Cg needed to be moved back a bunch (3/4" past where they say do not go behind!) to get it to fly decently. Have fun.

Jon
Old 11-27-2002, 12:05 AM
DKflyer
My Feedback: (2)

1. I run my antenna wire out the side and up to the top of the rudder.

2. I use a plastic spinner on mine (with a saito 72), and it seems to work fine.

3. I tossed the stock fuel tank and put in a Sullivan tank.

Suggestions:

Reinforce the firewall. I had a somewhat minor landing incident, and the firewall, engine, and fuel tank sepearated from the plane and went rolling down the runway.

I also replaced the stock landing gear with a set that is stronger and a little taller (helps with clearence because I'm using a 13" prop with the 4-stroke engine).

Overall, it is great flying plane. The YS 63 is a great match, will give it unlimited vertical.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:00 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm...I never considered moving the fuel tank closer to cg. I know why you would want to do it. I had glued the canopy in, but I will look into moving the tank anyway. Hopefully I won't damage it too much.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:57 AM
crashburn011
My Feedback: (1)

Default Global Freestyle

I would personally run the antenna outside the plane on the side of the fuse, with all the servos bunched together you do not want to run the antenna over or very near any servos. This will cause interference. I am running a Saito 80 in my plane and it flys great!!, I would however upgrade to 4-40 rods on the ailerons and get rid of the z- bent rods with the kit. I am just not a big fan of z bend rods. I first used the rods that came with the kit and after a couple of really good flights they became bent. I was not getting near the travel out of them as I am with the 4-40s. Overall great flying aircraft would recommend to anybody
Old 12-09-2002, 12:45 AM
hyperbatix
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Global Freestyle

I just started putting together my Freestyle. Here goes...I had a Y.S. 91 FZ just lying around and it's going in the nose with a 3 blade prop. Talk about UNLIMITED vert! I can't wait to see what happens