Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

resistance when rolling back

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:47 PM
C32AMG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resistance when rolling back

I realised the nut that holds the flywheel was placed backwards. I fixed this and put the clutch back on.

When I roll the chassis back there is some resistance but it does roll back, is this normal?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:45 AM
rustler 1

Default RE: resistance when rolling back

yes and no, i got really bad resistance back but mines becuase the spur gear is rubbed up against the clutch bell (not my gear mesh) its total disntce between the tranny and the engine that makes it gayy
Old 03-01-2006, 01:55 AM
SavageHoon

check your clutch shoes and CB free play. The spurrrrr meshing can cause this also, and even the brakes if they are very sensitive or the dual system that hasn't had much mileage. It will always run more easily one way than the other depending if the position of the reverse module lever (if install). It should always roll a 3-4 ft if pushed along manually.

Check to see if its a hot or cold issue. If its hot the clutch maybe causing it.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: C32AMG

I realised the nut that holds the flywheel was placed backwards. I fixed this and put the clutch back on.

When I roll the chassis back there is some resistance but it does roll back, is this normal?
You only noticed this after you swapped your clutch nut? How old is your truck? Make sure your brakes aren't dragging first. I don't think you have a tight clutchbell, because then your truck wouldn't roll forewards OR backwards. Need more details.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:14 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine clicks when I roll it backwards(no reverse).
Old 03-01-2006, 04:52 PM
kurtf5

same, there is no problem when i run it though so the mesh is ok. Probably just the brakes catching, im not bothered anyway, its not damging my car.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:22 AM
C32AMG

the truck is new, just finished building and I noticed it wouldn't roll back originally then I posted a thread and found out the nut that holds the flywheel was backwards. I fixed that and now the truck rolls back but there is a little resistance. I did notice that the clutch bell is very close to the spur gear and may be rubbing.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:50 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: C32AMG

the truck is new, just finished building and I noticed it wouldn't roll back originally then I posted a thread and found out the nut that holds the flywheel was backwards. I fixed that and now the truck rolls back but there is a little resistance. I did notice that the clutch bell is very close to the spur gear and may be rubbing.
I'm pretty sure what you are experiencing is normal. If you push the Savage foreward, there is no drivetrain movement. If you push your Savage backwards the oneway bearing inside the transmission causes the tranny drivetrain to rotate. (I think this is the way it works, I might have things reversed.) But I do know for a fact, in one direction there will be resistance.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:43 AM
kurtf5

it is backwards, my TS4N does the same. I wouldnt worry about it, if you dont have a reverse gear its ok.
I had a problem like that with my TS4N, on idle it just shot away. As soon as i hit the brakes, the car stalled. I cant remember the exact problem but it was to do with the clutch shoes. Easily fixed just by addjusting the shift screw.