Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

G62 DECISIONS

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:21 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default G62 DECISIONS

I just purchased my first gas engine a G62 with electronic ignition and pitts muffler. I'm trying to choose a plane for this engine. I have a chance to purchase a used Kangke Texas Hurricane and was wondering if the engine would be too much for it (weight). Does anyone have and or know of anyone flying this combo? I'm also considering one of the 28% Wild Hare planes. I want a good flyer but don't really have anyone at my club flying gas engines so I need the imput from this forum.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: G62 DECISIONS

I think the Texas Hurricane is too small for the G-62. It's only got 1062sq. in. of wing. Normally, my rule of thumb is 1000sq.in. of wing as a minimum starting point for a gas engine. But, the Hurricane is just not enough airframe for the power of the G-62.

Go to the WH support forum and look around in there. A lot of the WH planes are designed to handle the G-62. I almost bought the 84" Edge 540. Had the credit card out and was just seconds from buying it, but went with the BME Edge instead. Only reason was because the BME Edge was supposed to be a little lighter. Wish I'd bought the WH now, because the BME Edge that I got was that awful Teal Green color. I stripped it all off, and now I need to recover the top of the hatch, wings, turtledeck, and tail surfaces. Dumb move on my part.

I've flown the WH Edge with a Sachs 3.2 engine at 6000' elevation. Not the best power/weight ratio for such high altitude, but the plane flew very nice. It would almost hover. A G-62 at lower elevation would be crazy power.

The WH planes have a really good rep. Tom listens to his customers and provides good customer support. At least, thats the rumor.

I'm working on a Kangke Laser 2000 right now. This is my second one of these planes. I had a different engine on the first plane. Crashed it a few months ago. I liked the plane so much, I ordered another one wthin a week.

I'm using a G-62 on this one. The plane goes together quick, and it has a pretty darn nice hardware package by todays standards. Aluminum control horns, pre-built 4-40 linkages, decent tailwheel. The cowl is THICK and is not a fragile piece of junk. It's a little heavier, but I'm not one to worry about a couple ounces on a plane this big. My only problem right now, is the cowl won't fit over this big engine without hacking some pretty good size holes in it. I have a Slimline wrap-around pitts muffler for the engine, but I may have to switch to a standard side dump muffler that just points straight down. There's no way I'm going to get the cowl on with that wrap-around pitts muffler. I'm tempted to split the cowl in half. Make a top and a bottom. Bolt it back together. If I did that, I could use my muffler. Nice construction on the plane though.

If you want a Kangke plane--get the Laser. If your not stuck on that, then go over to the WH support forum and do some reading. LOTS of guys using the G-62 on those planes.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: G62 DECISIONS

Lanier, has an Edge, extra, and Yak that would be great with a G-62. (87" W/S)

I saw the Edge fly with a G-62/ magnito, and it had prenty of power.