Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

OS 1.40RX Question

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

OS 1.40RX Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 04:05 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 1.40RX Question

There are 2 twin plug heads available that I know of.

There is one made in japan. It is anodized green, and has large cooling fins. It looks more like an R/C car head than a head for an airplane engine. It also runs so cool that the engine can be difficult to keep running if you use the heat sink that comes with it. being as large as it is, it tends to beat the crap out of chin cowls if you have a vibration dampening mount. It is pretty expensive, and if you don't speak japanese, it can be difficult to get one =)

The one I use is the 3M Mintor head from Italy. It's the same size as the stock OS head, and it's 1/2 ounce lighter as well. It's anodized purple. It comes with brass spacers that you install under the stock head bolts (like washers) and you use 2 head shims. On 15% nitro it spins a 17x12 about 8000, but the real sweetness is the idle and transition. It will idle all day around 1400, and if you're brave you can drop it to about 1000 and fly it. but it won't stay running without some air over the prop at that low speed. Mine is set at 1400 and that's PLENTY low. It's like putting on the brakes. And the transition? Smooth as silk even after idling for a couple of minutes.

They can be a pain to get; they want a bank check in euros. by the time you do this, if you can (some people and banks can't do it) it makes the price around $100 or so by the time it hits your door. And it can take a month to get it.

I am considering importing a few of these myself if there's enough interest.

-Mike
Old 12-09-2002, 04:46 PM
Pattern freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a problem,i have a YS120FZ on my FOCUS and a friend told me if i want to exchange the YS for a O.S 140 RX with a MAC full length header and ES PIPE.I test fit the engine but the pipe is too long,i have to cut allot for the pipe to fit,does anyone with this setup has my problem also,the pipe is very very long.I know that allot of people are flying the focus with 2 strokers:Webra,O.S but i thought that the Focus could handel the long 2 stroke pipes,but the header is full length it`s not tuned yet.Thanks.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:21 PM
MHester

There are many different types of the Es pipe. The legth varies from 19" to 28". Most people run the 19" pipe. I run the 22" pipe myself, because it's dimensionally identical to the factory OS tuned pipe. It sounds like you have one of the long ones, because on a Focus i just built i used a 19" pipe and a full length header and it fit with room to spare.

-Mike
Old 12-09-2002, 08:32 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Default O.S. 1.4

Heres what I have gotten out of mine

O.S. 1.40 RX with Karl Mueller header 2 5/8 rise. Our own homemade c.f. 3 baffle pipe. Total pipe length is about 28 in. and over all length is about 36 in. from engine exhaust.

15% Cool Power, 17x10N APC, O.S. "F" plug netting 8700rpms and 92.5 db at 800' above sea level and 85 degrees.
Good transition and unlimited vertical in a 10.5 lb airplane.

I have a 17x12N APC but havn't tried it yet so looking forward.
Dont have the particulars on length to first baffle at this time.
But so far it seems like a good setup.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:47 AM
MaxMotoring

I am currently operating this engine on a Bolly MF 590 R muffler.This has the appearance of a pipe but is in fact a muffler.The engine is very quite,has an superb transition & still produces lots of power.The prop is a Bolly 17.5 X 12 & the fuel 10% nitro & 20% oil, balance methanol.
I previousy used the Bolly EQ 140 pipe which is also fine but I think the 590R is better.I don't want this to sound like an advertisement for Bolly but this combination is very effective.The only other props I have tried are the APC 17 X 12.5N which strangely was a little too much load & the APC 15.5 X 12 4 blade which didn't give the power of the Bolly 17.5 X12 but was extremely quite & provided good downline braking.
I hope this is of some assistance.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:25 PM
Coolhand-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

what kind of rpm are you getting out of the bolly 17.5x12? where did you get the prop? I am plannin on the hatorie pipe and header, apc 17x12, cool power 20% pattern blend, hoping to get 8000rpm out of it.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:49 AM
Coolhand-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

the hatori pipe and header i have is the same as the os pipe and header, any recommendations on setting it up? was just going to match the end of the header to the pipe, so if anyone has run the os header and pipe, i would appreciate the info
Old 12-12-2002, 03:27 AM
MaxMotoring

Coolhand,I can't give an RPM figure as yet although I have been operating it in this configuration for over 12 mths (yeah pretty slack, I know).As soon as I can get a reading I'll send it to you.It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I can get out to thhe field again.
The Bolly prop is manufactured in Australia ( where I live ) but understand you can get them in the US.I'm sure the APC 17x12 would be fine.It is difficult to get the larger pattern sizes out here.
You will be impressed with the engine as it is very powerful,ultra reliable & user friendly.