Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Aviation Models 37.5% Yak 54 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aviation Models 37.5% Yak 54 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 07:13 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aviation Models 37.5% Yak 54 Build Thread

Hey, finally got a few good flights in today. After mounting the rudder servos in line, like is normally done in GS models, and the wires not crossing each other on their way to the rudder, I have much much better and more positive rudder control. Even though I can pull of a knife edge loop, I will still add a third servo to the rudder, the rudder is VERY large. I bought a Biela30x10 prop and I love it. From a hover it punches out like a lite 2.6m Extra with a strong DA100. I am really just going for smaller props from now on, the engine just unwinds and the plane goes, yeah baby.

I don't have any mix in the plane yet, except for an expo throttle curve, 1/2 stick is about 1/3 throttle on the carb. This Yak does the most awesome wall, it almost swaps ends, but just ends up there, nose pointing to the sky. At one time in a hover I let it tailslide a bit, then pinched it, and it just did two complete TR's right there, it was awesome. My Yak is a little tail heavy, but I like it like this and will keep it like this. It doesn't pop up on landings, but on a 45 degree upline, rolling inverted, it climbs a little bit. Downlines are straight though, and rolls are fairly axial.

I am using the tank that came with the plane, and even though is seems small, I have so much fuel left after 10 min flying, that I would feal comfortable with 15 min flytes.

I love my new 14MZ. After Bill Malvey told me what to do, or rather, what not to do, when prgramming this Tx, it has now become great an easy to work with.

Sorry I haven;t found a scale to put the plane on, but it's got vertical like my 3.0m Extra did, althouggh it doesn't fly quite as fast on level passes.

It started blowing really hard around Noon today, so only got three excellent flights in. Here is my Yak and I today, he he. That prop matches the plane nicely.

DKjens
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52321.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	360662  
Old 11-26-2005, 08:33 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

That thing looks sweet. How come you are not running the seiko on the rudder? I thought you were really into that servo? The winds were ripping here in the SFV. I look forward to seeing your new plane soon,. Nice color scheme, does it show up good in the air?

JOe
Old 11-26-2005, 08:56 PM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, maybe I need to come down next week to fly?

good job man!
Old 11-27-2005, 04:27 PM
babflyer
My Feedback: (2)

ever seen anybody at the rifle range get ticked about the planes and take a shot? I sure wouldnt fly over them. That would seem a little scary as most non rc'ers love a good crash, Im sure they have laughed about doing it anyway.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:37 PM
RNick

DK
I see you used the stock tank. Did you use the stock stopper? I just wondered if the stopper was ok for gas?

Randy
Old 12-03-2005, 09:04 PM
DKjens

I got more flights in today. For today I had added a third HS5995TG servo on my rudder, since two didn't give me what I wanted. Any time a gave a right rudder input, it was plenty strong, but for some reason with left rudder input, it wasn't nearly as strong, and blowback was obvious. I am considering going to a Seiko more and more. Not only in this plane, but also in my 3m Extra I will get together around Christmas, as well as a 40%'er I am planning to aquire around March of next year. I wonder if Gene Payson would give a discount on three Seikos with aluminum arms he he (only run one in each plane of course). The rudder and/or servos stretched the beejeezus out of my wire (I am not using the wire in the kit, but one from a 4-40 pull-pull kit), and I started getting the fishtailing again.
I really like this plane alot. The more I fly it, the more fun it is. It is as easy to hover as the big 40% Yak, but shoots out and up with the DA150. I also really like this Biela 30x10 prop on this combo.

A few notes for anybody building this plane.

1. Because of the location of the thrust line on this plane, which is smack in the middle of the fuse, and lower than conventional planes, such as Extras, Edges, Giles', Caps etc, with flat engines, the headers needed if cans or pipes are used need to have a very shallow drop. Depending on where on the can the inlet is (my JMBs are in the middle, K&S are towards the top) the drop from flange to center of header pipe should be 40-45mm.

2. Because of the location of the main gear on this plane, of a header length of 12" is used, REAR exit cans must be used. If front exit cans are used, the exit will be blocked by the gear. I cross header can probably be made and used, and a 12" long header, with front exit cans, are possible.

Randy,
Sorry for the late reply, yes, I did use the stock tank and stopper, and the stopper seems to be holding up fine. I was a little weary about the size of the tank, but my engine must not be working very hard, because after 10 min. of flying, I still have about 30-40% of the fuel left in the tank, maybe even a 1/2 tank left.

DKjens
Old 01-25-2006, 07:14 PM
rcgino1

Hey Jens, I'm putting together a 40% Aviation Models Yak with the same color scheme as yours. Any troubles with running the Li Ions directly into the 5995 servos? I guess not, but I wanted to make sure. I'm going to use the 5955 servos and now they are fixed so I think they will work just like the 5995's did. I'm using a Seiko on the rudder and a Power Expander like you did. I'll plug the Seiko power lead directly into the Power Expander if the batteries run wide open. Do you have a 40% too? Gene Payson.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:32 PM
DKjens

Gene,

I've had no problems running the 5995 servos straight off 2 cell Li-Ions. The signal to the Seiko servo has to come straight from the RX, at 6V or less, it did not want to work with a signal current as high as for the 5995s, so I bypass the PE for the Seiko signal and the throttle, just run a choke on the throttle servo wire. The Seiko is running flawlessly straight off a 3 cell Li-Ion, except centering is not constant during the time period of running the servo. I've had contact with a british fellow in the UK, who runs these servos on steering on 1/5 scale cars. He machines a bunch of slots in the servo case for better cooling, and says that helps the problem. I will try the same with my Seikos.

Yes, I have a 40% also. I am running 10 S9152 servos on ail and elev on regulated 6V and a Seiko on rudder, also on a 3 cell Li-Ion.

DKjens
Old 01-27-2006, 08:41 AM
rcgino1

Hi Jens, I tried the Seiko on a straight 2-cell and found the speed to be OK. Not as fast as a HS-5955, but fast enough for snaps - but that's just looking at it, not trying in the air with my plane. Several of my friends used the Seiko on 2-cells and I flew their planes with no problems. Many people run the Seiko on a 2-cell. Did you try 2-cell for in-flight tests? I'm thinking that I can plug the power lead of the Seiko into the PE if there's no reg. It's odd that the signal current didn't work because it should not know what voltage is on the power side. It should not even need the red wire unless the signal lead does use power to power up the potentiometer and the power wire is for the motor only... HMMM. That must be it. The pot doesn't like it. As for the centering, did you get any photos of the cooling slots? That could be the problem, the pot is overheating, but maybe since you are running the pot on 5v from the PE, the pot won't heat up as much - if the theory is correct about the pot running on the signal lead voltage. What engine and muffs did you use on the 40%? I'm undecided. I'm concerned about CG. Moving those little batteries around won't do much to adjust the CG. Putting the engine out or in with standoffs will make the biggest difference. Weight? (Or is there another thread on the 40% somewhere?)
Old 01-27-2006, 11:48 AM
DKjens

Gene,

I am running the signal lead straight from the Rx, so if the pot is powered this way, it only sees 5.5V. Here is a link to the fellow in the UK who I had contact with about the Seiko (Tonegava) servo http://www.oddified.com/. He writes about making it faster etc., which I don't need. I send him an email and he responded, that better cooling should make a big difference. He also mentioned that some servos (early) came with 5 pole motor and the later came with 3 pole motor, and that the 3 pole motor is the better of the two. As you say, if running the servo on 2 cell it may not get as hot and deviate as it does on 3 cells. I will first try and do the cooling mod, if that doesn't work I will try 2 cells. Actually, please report back to me after trying 2 cells. If it's more precise that way, I may use one in my next plane in stead of 3 x 5995.

On the 40% Yak you need to mount everything up front. Make the top of the engine box a lid, and mount all batteries in it. I have a Herbrandson280 in my 40% now, but I also flew it with a DA150 on cans. With the DA and everything mounted forward it was manegable but no IMAC plane. Gene, why don't you just send all the Li-Ion or Li-Po batteries and regulators, you would otherwise use in this plane, to me. I will then send to you a bunch of large, high capacity, and most important, heavy NiCD or NiMH batteries, which will help you balance the plane much better .

DKjens
Old 01-27-2006, 12:08 PM
rcgino1

Hi, OK, all the batteries are coming your way! I'm making CF tubes for the 40%. The stab tube is 4 oz lighter which will help a lot for CG. It's still not an IMAC plane with the Herbrandson? That's gotta be a horse! The 2-cell batteries do not help for centering, same issue.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:51 PM
falconpilot
My Feedback: (62)

Hey everyone!

Here are a few photo's of my 37.5%. Coming along pretty fast. Thanks to all those who anwsered my questions on this project. Can't wait to get finished(funds to buy the 6 - 8611a's for the wings), and in the air. For those already flying this airplane, where did you mount your batteries for the C.G.? I'm running two 4000 duralite plus packs...Jim

Name:	Qo39629.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	424355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21133.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	424356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90671.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	424357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31573.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	424358  
Old 03-12-2006, 02:56 AM
DKjens

Jim,
Mount your batteries as forward as possible, in the engine box if possible. With CG as forward as possible the plane will lock in much better and still perform 3D with ease.

DKjens
Old 03-13-2006, 09:12 AM
rcgino1

Nice photo of the Seiko with the Nelson servo arm. Is it OK if I put that photo on the Troy Built Models website? - Gene
Old 03-14-2006, 08:10 PM
falconpilot

Gene,

Sure, feel free puttting the photo on your site. I'll be glad to include a few more if you want them. I'll call you tomorrow as I need to ask you a few questions anyways. BTW, thanks for the fast service on the parts I've ordered thus far!! Jim
Old 03-17-2006, 11:18 PM
falconpilot

A few more photo's....Jim

Name:	He97269.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	428088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95863.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	428089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31885.jpg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	428090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84317.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	428091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do83098.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	428092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vm84030.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	428093  
Old 03-18-2006, 09:54 AM
JPrc
My Feedback: (22)

Hey Jim,

The plane looks great! How soon before you have it in the air? We hit the Houston IMAC last weekend. The winds were constant 20-25mph with gut higher. I'll miss the next Houston contest in April but plan on going to Little Rock...Jonas
Old 03-19-2006, 05:50 PM
falconpilot

Jonas,

Hope to make the Crosby IMAC.. I just changed jobs(Flying a Falcon 20F now!!), and things are a little busy. How did you do at the contest? I'll be in Little Rock for sure. Can't wait to get this bird flying. It should be awsome!! Take care!!! Jim

Name:	Pn38070.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	429155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42009.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	429156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21282.jpg
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	429157  
Old 03-19-2006, 10:30 PM
gordyd4

No one has talked weight...how much do the 37.5-yaks weigh?
Old 03-19-2006, 10:45 PM
JPrc
My Feedback: (22)

Jim,

I did well at the contest, got 1st in Intermediate. I will not make the second Houston contest but will be in Little Rock. See you there. ..Jonas