Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Advise on silk span covering

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Advise on silk span covering

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 02:23 PM
kirknik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on silk span covering

Just getting ready to apply silkspan to my f4. Been a while since I used this stuff. (25yrs)Its completly sheeted and I have applied 2 coats of thinned nitrate dope everywhere. Sanded with 600 very lightly and its now very smooth.
Can i overlap the silk span around leading edges and other joints? I reads somewhere that tearing the silkspan instead of cutting it is better?Will the ridge sand out?
Do I wrap the silk span around trailing edges and then re-cut hinges?
I have to glue the plastic nacelles on afterwards, will the canopy glue stick to the doped fabric? Also planning to use lustre coat primer on the abs nacelles and then butrate coloured dope to get a good colour match.
Also, I was just going to spray colored butrate dope right on the fabric after its all set and dry. Probably will take a couple coats of nitrate and sanding to get it ready for colour and I'm wondering if I will need primer as well?
Old 12-10-2002, 02:52 PM
Dzlstunter

I can't deal with the paint compatability issues, but the tearing of silkspan (using a hard-edged guide to avoid really ragged seams) is a good idea. It will be easier to blend in when you finish sand. Use a little spackling compound thinned with water to a "paintable" consistancy to coat the seams, then sand away everything but the smooth part !
Old 12-11-2002, 01:04 AM
JBecker

I mix 50/50 dope and baby powder and apply that where edges of silkspan meet. Let dry and sand. Fills in all gaps very nicely and smells good too.