Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

A couple of newbie questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 07:52 PM
ginshun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of newbie questions...

Hello, I am totally new to the world of RC and I just recently bought a DuraTrax Evader ST. I have been enjoying it immensly, but I have a few questions.

First, in the book it mentions adjusting the ball differential after 2-3 batterry packs. Can anybody tell me how I know if it is adjusted correctly? I can't really tell. If someone could just tell me some simple ways to tell if it is too loose or too tight that would be great.

Also I read in a couple of places that replacing the stadard battery connecter with Deans Ulta Plug would increase the performance. Where can I buy these online?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-10-2002, 08:00 PM
JAG-RCU

Well, I use Tamaya Lightspeed connectors. Also, the differential is adjusted when the slipper clutch slipps first. Hold one wheel in your hand and turn the other wheel. While doing this, have your gear cover off and look at the slipper clutch. If the slipper clutch moves after sever revolutions of the wheel, the differential is working. If not, stop running at once and tighten up the differential. I burned out four differentials on a Team Losi XXX NT Sport. It is nitro and they all burnt out within mabey two hours of each other. Probably even shorter. After the fourth try, I bought a new differential and assembled it, however, instead of letting it turn on it's own, I eppoxied it togeher so it can't turn, therefor it can't burn out. But now I have a solid rearend and it turns a lot harder now. It works though. Good luck anyway. Hope that helps.

JAG

P.S. The Tamaya Lightspeed plugs flow 30 amps, the stock white and black connectors only flow about 4. The Tamaya Lightspeed plugs are definatly the way to go as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:28 PM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default adjusting the ball differential

adjusting the ball differential

All that needs to be done is remove the upper tie-rod from the right rear wheel and drop it out of the way. Taking off the tire/wheel first will make this easier. Just stick an allen wrench into the outdrive of the transmission and snug down the screw that is in the outdrive.. Now (this is important), loosen the screw 1/8 of a turn. Reattach the tie-rod and wheel and you are all set.

http://teamrcv.com/modules.php?op=mo...t&id=44&page=2

Good Luck!!!
Old 12-10-2002, 09:38 PM
ginshun

Ya, that much I got, that is basically what it says in the book. What I am wondering is how do I actaully tell if it is tight enough or not when I am running the car? The adjustment screw seams like it is pretty tight, but is is hard for me to tell when it is snugged all the way up, as it turns pretty hard anyway. Even I loosen it a full turn or so it still feels tight to me.
Is there a way to tell by how the truck is running whether it is too tight or too loose?

And do you guys know a good place online to buy the Dean's Ultra Plugs or the Tamiya Lightspeed connectors?
Old 12-10-2002, 10:15 PM
crash_me_over

Deans Plugs:

http://www.wsdeans.com/products/plugs/index.html

It can only be tightened so far. Once you achieve that....then back it out 1/8 turn and go drive it.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:20 PM
ginshun

Thanks man.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:42 PM
crash_me_over

Your welcome.