Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How do I fit a pinned flat hinge neatly?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How do I fit a pinned flat hinge neatly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 12:57 PM
bluepeppo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I fit a pinned flat hinge neatly?

Help. Help.
How can I fit a flat pinned hinge without the the whole thing getting stuck up with glue. The type I have have some holes in wHich I guess are to fit retaining pins in. I can fit the pins if I cover after fixing the hinges but then I end up with elevators that look like they've been covered in wrinklewrap (my own brand of profilm). How and when should I fit them?
Thanks
Neil
Old 12-12-2002, 02:02 PM
BingoFlyer

Neil:

After cutting the pockets for hinges I cut a notch in the leading edge of the control surface to clear the pin and lessen the gap, then apply petroleum jelly to the hinged section and epoxy the hinge in (I used to do the trailing edge first and then when epoxy was cured the trailing edge but now do both at the same time). I use a post card as a spacer between surfaces to prevent getting so close that the control surface binds and the fill the gap using covering.

Fit them before covering if you are also going to pin them (I do) do that after they are install, I use round tooth picks and drill through the surfaces and the hinge and push the tooth pick through the cut so that the tooth pick is slightly under the surface (you will have to push tooth pick slightly past the top surface and then cut flush with the bottom then push the bottom up leaving it below both top and bottom surfaces).

To make covering easier pre-cover the trailing and leading edges to about 3mm onto the surfaces then when covering you will not have to fight getting the covering into the seam.

I hope this does not confuse you it is much easier to do than describe.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:47 PM
grippm
My Feedback: (2)

Yes on the petroleum jelly. I'm one of those anti-ca hinge guys, so I've always used the pinned hinges. Just rub a light coat right at the pin and that'll keep epoxy out of it.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Kaos Rulz

A pair of toenail clippers work great for cutting the toothpick close to the surface. Works OK on the big toe too.

ED
Old 12-12-2002, 07:33 PM
rminsk

A trick I use for the petroleum jelly is to melt a little bit in a spoon and then dip the pin of the hinge. This way I make sure the petroleum jelly penetrates.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:25 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hinge

Take the hinges fresh out of the pack and hit them with some 80 grit sandpaper to roughen the surface and also knock the sheen off.

Heat some paraffin wax just enough to turn it into a liquid form, then fold the hinge back over it's self; then dip the hinge into the melted wax just enough to coat the hinge area. Fold the hinge back in the other direction and repeat the dip. Lay hinge aside until the wax solidifies and you are ready for gluing. Just make sure the glue surface of the hinge is clean with no wax or oily residue from handling.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:22 AM
bluepeppo

Default Thanks

Thanks fo all of your advice.
Bluepeppo.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:24 AM
daw
My Feedback: (6)

Default pinned hinge

I dip the pin in baby oil. Works well without having to heat it.