Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Availibility of Parts for Older Engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:37 AM
StarLifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Availibility of Parts for Older Engines

After seeing, HEARING, and flying a friend's YS, I have absolutely been convinced these are the best high-performance engines out there on the market. I'm looking to replace my SA#@to collection and go all YS's. So far I have purchased two and looking for a few more. As time moves on the unfortunate event of aging happens to all of us and time to time I see senior modelers realizing their thumbs aren't what they used to be and decide to sell out. Some of these guys have early model YS's. I have found a listing of current parts for alot of the YS's at central hobbies. Can you tell me what models of YS's that have become obsolete or just flat out aren't making new parts for them anymore? Particularly in the 90 to 140 range. Second question, a friend of mine come about a YS 120 that doesnt have the low speed needle adjustment. My friend says this 120 is the last of the 120's without this before YS started making the 120's with the low speed adjustment. What kind of 120 is this? It is one of the smoothest running YS's I have ever seen.

Thanks to your hopeful response to my question...
Old 04-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Availibility of Parts for Older Engines

First of all, I never recommend buying used YS engines for the simple reason that they are complex and can easily cost a lot of money to repair IF you don't know what you're buying. We still have parts to repair most any of the 120's made except the very first version, which they didn't make many of.

The 120 your friend has is an NC, last produced about 1995. It was the last one made without an idle air bleed adjustment. They could be troublesome with the fixed airbleed, but there are still a lot of them running.

Try to find a 120FZ if you must buy a used engine. They were the last produced.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:01 PM
StarLifter

Thanks for the info. Buying used YS's off of Ebay or any sort of engine that is not NIB is not something I would practice. It would be someone I know, see it run with my own eyes, and know the person's maintainence habits.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:02 PM
StarLifter

Thanks for the info. Buying used YS's off of Ebay or any sort of engine that is not NIB is not something I would practice. It would be someone I know, see it run with my own eyes, and know the person's maintainence habits.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Dave Shadel

Good Flying!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:17 PM
loughbd
Banned

I'm one of those guys that has a 120NC and it is a powerhouse. I broke the needle assembly and YS has discontinued that part but replaced with one from a newer engine. I bought that part from Cental and of course it didn't work. Completely different part. I would think that the importer would realize the parts aren't interchagable. Got any Idea where I can get the assembly for the NC? Oh and try to find a muffler for this engine.

I acquired about 20 galloons of Cox fuel in my travels for an unbelievably low price( 2 bucks a gallon) . The NC loves this stuff.