Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Scarf Joint

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 07:16 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scarf Joint

I have a set of plans for a 39" wingspan 1/2A Schoolyard Citabria from RCModeler. The wing has a front and back spruce spar 1/8" x 1/4" that are located first on the plans, then the ribs slip over the top of them. Each wingtip is suppose to be up 7/16" for the dihedral.

This leaves a long scarf joint to be made at the center.

How do I go about making this scarf joint? It feathers out so much I am not sure how to go about it and still hit the right angle or produce a good fitting seam all the way down it.

If I had a disc sander maybe, but how to I go about cutting or sanding this so it meets up with the other one nice and flat at the glue joint, and its important because that is what holds the dihedral angle and all the wing strength.

I thought about making two seperate wing panels with a center section but being so small its really not a good idea to go chopping for a pair of ply wing joiners like I am used to with larger models.

I only have basic hand tools, except for a small dremel table saw and thought about setting up an angled fence, but not sure even how to go about that.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:40 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Scarf Joint

Just use a long sanding block so that you can sand the LE, TE and all of the spars at one time.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:47 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sanding block isnt the problem, its how to produce the angle and the feathered section so everything comes out right. I've tried to sand a feathered stick before and having a hard time with it comming out flat, square and at the proper angle. I guess this is where I need help.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:57 AM
David Cutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use one of these:-

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG876&P=7

I reckon it's my most used building tool.

It's great at getting a square, flat face at exactly the right angle and definitely makes things like stick building much stronger because the fit is so much better.

-David C.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Topgun2mo
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always used a razor saw and cut both left and right spars together to ensure the angle will match.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:21 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the correct approach. Been doing it since the early 1980's. As you said, cut them together. Right on!