Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Various receiver 6v pack connectors and charging connectors: Questions!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Various receiver 6v pack connectors and charging connectors: Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Philster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Various receiver 6v pack connectors and charging connectors: Questions!

I just bough a Team Orion 1600ma hump receiver pack for my Inferno.

The hump pack's 3-pronged connector doesn't fit the 2-pronged plug in my Inferno radio box.

My instincts tell me to:

1. Snip off the two-pronged connector from the Orion battery pack

2. Snip off the the two prongged cable from the stock alkaline battery holder

3. Attach the two pronged connector that I salvaged from the stock battery holder and attach it to the Orion 1600ma pack.

4. Charge, install, enjoy 1600ma of receiver time.

I don't care to order adapters and such, unless I have to. I don't feel like running different switches and things either.

Am I safe to go ahead with the above?

Question on charging: I have a Dynamite charger that can charge Rcvr and motor packs. It recommends using the 2amp setting for Rcvr packs that are above 1200ma capacity (I think that completes the charge in one hour). The Orion pack recommends 1.6 charge rate. Can I just go ahead and charge it at 2?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: Various receiver 6v pack connectors and charging connectors: Questions!

I usually carefully cut away the third prong on the connector . Or solder the 2 prong to the new pack . As far as charging it , I charge all mine 1/2 amp normally . If I`m in a hurry I charge at 1&1/2 amps . But I never go past that . The slower you charge them the better charge you get and is better for the battery . But that`s how I look at it .
Old 05-12-2006, 08:20 AM
gerwen

Default RE: Various receiver 6v pack connectors and charging connectors: Questions!

However you get the two to mate up is ok. As long as it's a secure connection and the polarity is correct and you're good to go.

Do NOT clip both wires of the battery lead at once. The tool will short the battery, which is bad. It is safest to clip one wire, strip and attach it to the new lead (solder it, it's the best way). Then tape or heatshrink it up. (heatshrink is much better than electrical tape imho. It's fairly cheap, and looks better too.) Then move to the other wire and do the same. That way you can't accidentally short the battery.

I wouldn't charge a 1600 mA battery above 1.6A unless time was critical. Charging at .5A will get it charged in a little more than 3 hours and be less stressful on the battery.

Before you use the battery, give it a formation charge at 150mA for 16-18 hours.