Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Sticks
22.50%
Wheel
77.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Sticks or Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Bkag

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sticks or Wheel

Do you use sticks or wheel?

I have been using sticks on my current car but i am getting my new car in 2 weeks but i don't know whether to get sticks or a wheel. It seems everyone at my track uses a wheel but the guy at my lhs says that you get more precise control with sticks and because i am used to them thats what i should get.

Please in the poll vote what you use and post what you think i should get?

Thanks Ben
Old 05-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Infinite Gundam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sticks or Wheel

I have used stick with my Nikko several years back and I was never comfortable with it. Then when I first tried pistol grip with my emaxx, driving has never been much easier.

Ask a friend to let you try out a pistol grip, see if that makes a difference, then decide on whether you want a change.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:48 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

In my opinion stick airplanes wheel cars and trucks. If you buy a hobby grade car or truck it will more then likely come with wheel TX. I do not know of any hobby grade RTR that comes with sticks but I have never checked.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:08 AM
Bkag

So it sounds as though i should go with a wheel but what i dont understand is why the lhs guy said he uses sticks for better "pricision"
Old 05-05-2006, 06:59 AM
gerwen

He's rationalizing his decision. Sticks aren't any more precise, he just prefers them. If sticks were more precise, or better in any way, you'd see the world's top drivers using them. They don't.

To me it feels more natural and intuitive using a wheel to control the car.

Switching to a wheel will take some relearning, but you won't be handicapped by a precision problem. Go with whichever you prefer.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:27 PM
silent_echo

ive only used wheel myself. but sticks seem awkward to me and slower to react. i can undertand using them for flying though and i think thats all they should be used for. just my 2 cents
Old 05-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Mouton

ORIGINAL: gerwen

If sticks were more precise, or better in any way, you'd see the world's top drivers using them. They don't.

Go with whichever you prefer.
I beg to differ with the first claim but do agree on the conclusion. Please note that several of the world's top drivers use sticks instead of a wheel/pistol type transmitter. Check any pictures from a World final in any given class, 1:8 IC Track, Large Scale Track and you will see several of the drivers using old school stick type transmitters.

I wrote old school for a reason. For most of them its merely a question of what they are used to. You should also use what you prefer. There are pistol type radios from low end to high end. Stick type are only available as lowest end and high end systems (Futaba, Airtronics/Sawna). When I started out in the early 1980's I used a stick type transmitter. I made the switch just little over a year ago to pistol/wheel type. It took som time getting used to. Now I must say I am indifferent, although 22 years force of habbit would still have me picking up the stick if I were to drive in my sleep.

On a personal note I would say that there is a larger difference in ergonomics with different kinds of pistol/wheel type transmitters than from the various stick type transmitter available. Palm size, finger length all play in as well as weight and balance of the transmitter. Go down to your local hobby shop and grab a few transmitters and see which one you find easiest and most comfortable to hold. Any good pistol/wheel type transmitter is adjustable so you can move the wheel about and also flip it 180 degrees in case you are left handed.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:44 AM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: Mouton

ORIGINAL: gerwen

If sticks were more precise, or better in any way, you'd see the world's top drivers using them. They don't.

Go with whichever you prefer.
I beg to differ with the first claim but do agree on the conclusion. Please note that several of the world's top drivers use sticks instead of a wheel/pistol type transmitter.
I won't argue with that. Sticks seem very rare to me, but i'm in North America. I think they're more common in other parts of the world than here.
Maybe i should have been more precise in my statement. What i meant was, you'd see all the world's top drivers using them. Those guys are looking for any tiny advantage they can get, and if there was an advantage there, they'd all be using them.

I think we both agree that it all boils down to using what works best for you.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Bkag

Okay thanks that cleared everything up, ill go to my lhs and try some out this weekend.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:27 AM
rc monkey

I use a stick with my boat and wheel for my cars - neither feel much different to me - mebie im just odd[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 05-11-2006, 12:34 PM
razzor

Its a matter of preference.
I use both ,but prefer stick.
It definately has more feel to it and is more controlled.( for me anyway.)
For example if you have a tricked out race car you would find that you dont overdrive the car as much when using a stick radio.
I dont know if that is the right way to explain but look at the movements involved when using stick and wheel.When using stick you have more travel for throttle compared to the short throw of a wheel trigger as well as using your thumb on a stick doesnt allow for as fast throttle response and this applies to the steering as well.
Think about it, if you had to drive a real car with rapid on/off throttle inputs and swinging steering from side to side , you would be all over the place.
I find the stick helps me to drive smoother and more precise.
Then again practice makes perfect and stick to what you know best.
My 2 cents anyway.......
Old 05-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Bkag

Now im torn again so some people use sticks arghh im goin to my lhs on sat so ill try some out.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:29 PM
tadracket
My Feedback: (1)

I would much rather have sticks, but when I bought my 3PJ, the LHS only had El-Cheepo sticks(already had 2). I have not been shopping around looking for them, but have not noticed any really nice stick radios for land vehicles. Maybe the Futaba 4 channel but eveyone makes a nice wheel radio. Why can't everyone just make a nice stick radio every couple years or so?
Old 05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
razzor

From what I have noticed ,sticks are popular in europe and Asia.
Havent really seen any advertised in the states.
Popular makes are :
Futaba 3VC - http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=679
SANWA Super EXZES ,same or similar menu to SANWA/Airtronics M8 - http://www.airtronics.net/super_exzes.htm
Ko Propo Vantage Esprit II Type R - http://www.kopropo.com/vantage_R.htm
Hitech Eclipse Pro - http://www.nitro-models.co.uk/produc...a8ca277064df19

In order of popularity.
I personally use the Super EXZES just need to get a Spectrum and Im smooth sailing.
I would like to get a Nomadio but its not stick !!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:16 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Its a matter of preference.
True,

Also, its like a phase in RC evolution, before probably everbody was using stick controlers and when the pistol style came out, everybody just wants to get the new style.

Also manufacturers would only keep manufacturing what most drivers prefer, and in this generation in USA its safe to say its the pistol grip style, but like razzor says, its different in Asia and Europe.

Old timers - you'll see them still use sticks,

Hard-core - you'll see them use the latest, most expensive, top-of the line availble in the market.