Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

MVVS .49 - My first MVVS experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:29 PM
RCer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS .49 - My first MVVS experience

Hello All

Just did the break in of my new .49. I used a 10x8 prop. Fuel was 5% nitro 12% synth 10% castor. I stated with the factory recommended settings (main needele 1.5 turns out and idle needle 1,2 mm out). Was real hard to start event with a starter and would only run for a few seconds (not enough to let me get behind the engine and move the throttle). I then set the main needle at 1,8 turns out and the idle needle at 2mm out. That helped a lot. I let the engine run full throttle. Max it out using the main needle and then immediately richened it so it dropped about 1000 RPM. Then let it run for 3 minutes. After the it cooled down I tried turn it over and the compression was real good (it even squeeked a bit in the top). I started it again and let it run the entire tank (7-8 min).

After refilling I tried to peak it. It held max RPM at 11600 on the 10x8 APC and using the standard muffler so I asummed it is broken in. Is 11600 to be expected on this setup? I assume it might improve a bit over the next 2-3 tanks. I plan to run 5-10 tanks through it on the bench (1 with the brak in fuel and the rest using a fuel with 5% nitro 15% synth and 5% castor). The reason I dont go fly with it right away is that it will be used in a twin and I want to learn to know the engine on a stand before I use it for flight.

After I break this one in I have a second with reverse rotation that needs to be broken in as well.

What RPM number can I expect with a 11x6 APC and using the silent silencer? I think 11x6 APC would be nice for flying and honestly I think it screams too much with the standard silencer. I hope to get it to hum with the larger silencer since it will be used in a twin application.

Finally. How does the .49 perform over the range from idle to full power using the mini tunes silencer? Is it on the pipe from idle to full thottle or does it come on somewhere inbetween. I aks just in case I want to try it out on the twin in the future. Would be interesting if both engines came on at different times during take off.

Regards
Flemming
Old 06-07-2006, 09:31 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: MVVS .49 - My first MVVS experience

Mine is hot poo on a stick![8D] There is a fellow named Evanrcu in here that did a DD with twin motors you may contact him for better info.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:05 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MVVS .49 - My first MVVS experience

Fleming,

The MVVS 8.0 (.49) is optimized for best performance with the tuned silencers (#3248/#3249), like their other 2-15 cc engines.

So, when using a normal silencer (#3245), the performance with props of 11x6/10x8 and smaller, is quite similar to many .46 engines.
With larger props, the improved low/mid RPM torque gives it an RPM advantage.

With the #3245A silent muffler, power and RPM is further reduced. I cannot tell you exactly by how many RPM, but a reduction of several hundreds is to be expected.

But the noise will be much lower, which is what you use this silencer for.