Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Home Made Tools

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Home Made Tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Villa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Made Tools

Home made tool. I believe I saw this tool in a magazine many years ago. It is used to screw in the threaded rod into the end of a Nyrod Plastic push/pull control rod. The photo shows a plastic wire nut (yellow), a steel clevis, and a short piece of threaded rod in the clevis. The threaded rod is threaded into the clevis so about 5 threads are left empty. The plastic nut is filled with epoxy. Every time I use it I marvel at the simplicity of the tool. A difficult job is made easy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75434.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	428939  
Old 03-19-2006, 02:38 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Home Made Tools

very good idea think I will coppy it thank you
Old 03-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Newc

I chuck the threaded rod halfway into my hand drill and then hold the Nyrod with a pair of pliers and spin the rod into the Nyrod very quickly with the electric drill. Seems easier and quicker to me.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Chip_Mull

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about showing us other tools out there? Even a picture of your workshop would be nice. I have seen some incredible models come from a crowded 1 car garage or a one bedroom apartment. Craftsmen are rarely limited, it just breeds more creativeness.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:29 PM
tail strike

doesent the drill chuck mess up the threads?
ORIGINAL: Newc

I chuck the threaded rod halfway into my hand drill and then hold the Nyrod with a pair of pliers and spin the rod into the Nyrod very quickly with the electric drill. Seems easier and quicker to me.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:58 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I make an incedence meter. Cost about $5. Just as accurate as the robart I have.
Edwin

Name:	Us55319.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	429613  
Old 06-08-2006, 07:40 AM
aerospot

This is probibly a no-brainer for anyone who has built at least one model.
I use a variety of wood chunks in various shapes and adhere course sandpaper to them for sanding blocks.
I have T-Bar sanders that are long and narrow, short and wide and all sizes in between.
A variety of dowel rods about 6" - 8" long wrapped with 60 grit. I use medium - thick CA to stick the sandpaper on adding a bead every 1/4" or so as I roll the dowel.
I used an exacto sanding block as a template and made 4 more. I use different grits on each...
One of my favorites is a 1" X 1" X 6" block of pine with different grits glued to each of the 4 sides. It lays on my bench always!
I use 3M spray adhesive to tack the sandpaper strips to the blocks. Theyre easily pealed off and replaced.
Other than the exacto block, I've never purchased a sanding block...
Old 06-08-2006, 11:37 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple of my favorite sanders. Just C/A bottles with self adhesive sand paper attached. One is 100 grit and the other is 220. Really handy for shaping fillets. Same tool for large or small fillets.

Name:	Pm34895.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	474335  
Old 06-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

hehehe!
TLH101,
That is pretty good. I like that. I been using dowels in different diameters.
Edwin
Old 06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
CafeenMan

I make tons of tools. Specialty sanders, jigs and fixtures, etc. There are too many unique tasks in model-building for manufacturers to cover all of them.

[link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/index.htm#tools]Tools You can Make[/link]
Old 06-08-2006, 08:32 PM
da Rock

Yesterday, I made some fuselage cradles to match the airplane I'm building. I used 3/4" thick pink foamboard. Cut the board on the bandsaw in about 7.348 seconds.... ok..... in under a minute. Just eyeballed the "scoops". Used FoamBoardTackGlue (it looks like Elmers Woodworkers Glue) to glue the upright cradle to the pink foamboard base (the bases are easier to bandsaw... took 6.113 seconds each) and even used some scrap to make stiffening braces.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:37 PM
da Rock

Chucking the threaded rod into the drill chuck doesn't do anything to the threads.

Truth is, I wish it did. If it would slightly dent them, the clevis would then fit a bit tighter and with less slop.

BTW, I use a piece of SMALL fuel tubing that runs over the end of the clevis and some of the threads. It insures that the clevis is tight on the threads. I still use a small piece of MEDIUM tubing like everyone else does when it's needed.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:59 PM
dbruening80

ORIGINAL: Newc

I did that once......the threaded rod got going too fast, melted through the nyrod and went right into the knuckle of my index finger, of course that was 12 years ago and I havent made that mistake twice
Old 06-09-2006, 10:38 PM
rainedave

This first one took years to develop. After countless failed attempts I arrived at what I feel to be the perfect tool for marking lines inside fuselages (for servo rails, etc.) and cowls. You will get strange looks when you sharpen it.

The second tool is a one-off that worked perfectly the first time. Luck I guess. It taps threads in wing hold-down blocks for 1/4" nylon wing bolts.

Name:	Us52699.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	475024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25131.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	475025  
Old 06-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Live Wire

Using strips of credit card to get epoxy in to hinge slots evenly Run the card with epoxy through slots then insert hinges.