Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Moderator material?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Chronic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moderator material?

Anyone else notice the post "are you moderator material" at the top of the general MT and Losi forums? It's pretty funny that they didn't ask that question in the HPI or Traxxas forums. Understandable.... but funny.

I guess we are the tards of RCU or something.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:17 AM
pulse213

Default RE: Moderator material?

Born to Bash!!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:44 AM
gerwen

Actually a few mods frequent the HPI+Traxxas forums already (myself included). I think they're probably looking for people in those forums to get better coverage in there.

Don't take it as an insult.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:37 AM
DaveG55

As long as the subject gas come up. What kind of duty's/commitments would one have as a moderator?
Are there any perks?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: gerwen

Actually a few mods frequent the HPI+Traxxas forums already (myself included). I think they're probably looking for people in those forums to get better coverage in there.

Don't take it as an insult.
Oh no, it's not insulting at all. I figured it was something like that, but it still made me laugh.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

As long as the subject gas come up. What kind of duty's/commitments would one have as a moderator?
Are there any perks?
I don't know what they require of the mods here, but I moderate a section of another board. The main duties are to control offensive material and to keep everyone on topic. The definition of "offensive" is up to the admin, and the mods job is to uphold that standard. Secondary concerns include things like trying to answer the posts that would otherwise go unanswered, make newbs feel welcome, stickie threads, delete/move threads that are in the wrong area....
Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 AM
gerwen

Are there any perks?
You're responsible for making sure that posts are within RCU community rules, dealing with ones that aren't, and setting a good example.

For perks, you get that cool Platinum member badge above your avatar, and the ladies will flock to you like moths to the flame.
The biggest perk, is the mod forum. They're a bunch of really cool people.

Be warned if you're thinking about it though, it's a tough job, and mostly thankless. Most people don't like being moderated. You'll likely get into arguments about free speech. However, as a whole, my experience as a mod has been very positive, and it's made RCU that much better for me.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
pulse213

I own a few smaller forums,and know how tuff it can be. Yea I know,I don't act like it here,but here I get to be more like everyone else for a change.

I've bagged on the moderating here on the Savage boards before. But, yesterday you went thru some threads and cleaned things up. Had a few of my own posts dusted,but deservingly so. You did good,gerwen.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:43 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any perks?
You're responsible for making sure that posts are within RCU community rules, dealing with ones that aren't, and setting a good example.

For perks, you get that cool Platinum member badge above your avatar, and the ladies will flock to you like moths to the flame.

Be warned if you're thinking about it though, it's a tough job, and mostly thankless. Most people don't like being moderated. You'll likely get into arguments about free speech. However, as a whole, my experience as a mod has been very positive, and it's made RCU that much better for me.

gerwen has said it pretty good. At times, it is tough, certain forums are busy places and require lots of work and time commitments, others are well behaved and seldom need any moderation

To be an effective moderator, you need decent people skills, you need to have the ability to calm down situations, interpet the rules properly, and apply those rules, A good moderator will do his/her work and the general membership will never know. We do our best to handle our moderation duties using the PM system.

I truley is a labor of love for both the hobby and RCU. At times it can be a pain, but thankfully those are not all that often, at least in the forums I moderate. It makes it all worthwhile when the admins and especially someone you just had to moderate, praises you for the work you do.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:23 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I moderate the Redcat forum and that alone is a big enough pain in the butt, LOL.

what I want to know is why the women aren't flocking to me anymore than they already did[&:]

Course, the Savvy is a pretty good broad magnet anyway[8D]
Old 06-22-2006, 06:45 PM
savageman90
My Feedback: (12)

when did you become a mod?

Are there any perks?

Old 06-22-2006, 08:32 PM
michelob78

I believe gerwen became a moderator around the same time as I did, which was octotober last year. He will have to verify.....

I also cannot say enough about the moderators on RCU.... great group of guys. The job, like any... has it's good and bad days.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:07 PM
savageman90
My Feedback: (12)

do you get payed?
ORIGINAL: michelob78

I believe gerwen became a moderator around the same time as I did, which was octotober last year. He will have to verify.....

I also cannot say enough about the moderators on RCU.... great group of guys. The job, like any... has it's good and bad days.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:41 PM
-Inverted-

do you get payed?
Nah, it's just a volunteer job. We definately need more moderators though, at least for the electric section.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:12 AM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: michelob78

Verified. It's funny, up until recently, i thought you had been a mod much longer than I. Must've been how well you handled the job.