Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Help.. Savage 25 Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:26 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Help.. Savage 25 Questions.

Hey thanks a lot. Couple more quick questions:

1.) From what I've read and heard, the main little thing I should have on hand for the next time out is extra glow-plugs. Is that true? If so, what kind do I ask for? Just whatever for a Savage 25?

2.) I've heard from a couple of people that after-run oil is very important. I don't believe it's even mentioned on the DVD. I didn't use it on mine, and it will have been sitting nearly a week..

Thanks again..

ps While I'm at it, in case anybody has a clue, when I had the truck broken in last week, the brakes were what I considered to be noticeably weak. In no way can it be said that they completely locked the wheels. Just kind of slowed them down A BIT... The guy said this had to do with the stock servo.. Or?

Old 10-05-2005, 05:33 PM
tallcajun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Hey thanks a lot. Couple more quick questions:

1.) From what I've read and heard, the main little thing I should have on hand for the next time out is extra glow-plugs. Is that true? If so, what kind do I ask for? Just whatever for a Savage 25?

2.) I've heard from a couple of people that after-run oil is very important. I don't believe it's even mentioned on the DVD. I didn't use it on mine, and it will have been sitting nearly a week..

Thanks again..

ps While I'm at it, in case anybody has a clue, when I had the truck broken in last week, the brakes were what I considered to be noticeably weak. In no way can it be said that they completely locked the wheels. Just kind of slowed them down A BIT... The guy said this had to do with the stock servo.. Or?

While this may be my first post in here, I've have some experience with a Savage so I'll try to answer some of your questions.

You should have a few glow plugs with you. If you have a proper T-wrench, you can purchase a few glow plugs and screw them down on the wrench so they can be handy. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBDD1&P=7]T-Wrench[/link] [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFRE9&P=7]HPI R4 [/link]

After run oil is to be used when you plan on storing your truck for periods of greater than a week. This is to prevent rust, etc, on the inside of your motor.

When it comes to brakes, you can tighten up the stock brakes a bit, but don't expect the wheels to lock up. In fact, this is a bad thing, barkes shouldn't lock up, but they should bring the truck down from speed. I didn't follow which kit you ended up with, but there is a chance that the HPI dual disk upgrade might be what you are looking for.[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFYL2&P=Z]HPI Dual Brake kit[/link]

Also, you asked a few questions about the "shiny" parts. Personally, I'd say don't get carried away, but there are some things you can add that are needed.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFKM5&P=Z]HPI Rippled Pipe[/link]
This guy is loud, but the power you get from this pipe is awesome. Highly Suggested.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKWL4&P=Z]Integy Shock Tower[/link]
I don't normally like putting Aluminum on an RC Truck unless its absolutely needed, and for the shock towers it is on a Savage. The Shock towers have a tendancy to flex, and the front tower is famous for flexing when you land upside down, and it pushes on your radio box, sheering off the little pins that hold your box on. Aluminum showck tower - no flex.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHCA4&P=Z]Golden Horizions Aluminum Diff Case[/link]
Not needed right now, but eventually your plastic diff case will wear out. Replace it with Aluminum and it reduces the chance of your plastic case flexing, which will cause your diff (rear probably) to shred the gears.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDVJ2&P=Z]Motor Saver Air filter[/link]
Use in combo with that pipe above and you will have one awesome machine. Remember changing the air filter and/or the pipe will require you to re-tune slightly

Also, don't be tempted to upgrade your shocks, unless you are going with a 1/8 scale shock. The stock shocks don't look real pretty, but I've never had a problem with bent shafts etc. All aftermarket shock have that problem. The only ones I would even consider are the HPI aluminum ones, and thats only to make it look good. My solution was cover the stockers with bad horsie shock sox.

If you are so interested, you can check out what I did to my Savage here: [link=http://www.kickingchicken.com/kickingchicken/kickingchickenracing.nsf/dx/Savage25.htm]My Savage and Upgrades[/link]

And the Pictures: [link=http://www.kickingchicken.com/kickingchicken/kickingchickenracing.nsf/gallery?openagent&cat=My+Savage+-+Sold]Pictures of My Savage[/link]
Old 10-07-2005, 04:59 PM
...savage.. .

I use 16% it costs £14 for 2.5 litres.....20.3 euros or $24.62.......
Old 10-08-2005, 03:21 AM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Yeah I agree, the brakes shouldn't lock up, they should just slow the truck down. If you do set them to lock you'll have to replace the brake disks hub which is made of composite plastic to the alloy one, because before youknow it the disk will round out the plastic one. I ran 25% nitro in mine and it was awesome, but you should go ahead and put out for the ribbed pipe, motor saver air filter and filter oil, and the after run oil is a must.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:55 PM
...savage.. .

I noticed the brakes on my savage where weak and on close inspection I noticed they were covered in a mixture of fuel and muck.A quick wipe down and an adjustment on the brake adjuster made a big difference............although the brakes are still not brilliant but at least now i can tell i am braking.............just.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:41 PM
romeoremy79

I have a savage 25 and reverse mine is strictly for bashing i want to get the 3 speed has anyone had any expereience with it. does it increses top speed ands low end torque over the 2 speed. I also have a 6o mph 2.5 rustler is it impossible to get that kinda speed out of the 25 savage with the new tranny
Old 10-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

I noticed a big difference in mine when I added the 3speed, but that was the acceleration aspect only, top speed, it was quicker, but not blistering fast compared to the 2speed. I ran next to a stock RTR that ran the same as mine before, then ran 2hrs after the install and it did flat out leave it in all gears, in the end I gained about a 6-10ft advantage in a all out drag race. As far as getting your Savage to hit 60mph, that is a little bit harder to do, much less, aspire to do. It is a 12lb monster and with that weight you would need an engine capable of propelling it with 3hp@67,000rpm I would think to hit 60mph, don't quote me on that one, it's just that I believe it would take a lot to get there, alhough that might actually do it, with the right gearing.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:31 PM
savvyjj

i have a question about the savage 25...... why does the one way bearing keep burning out the starting shaft??? pleeze help im very frustrated