Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hitec 5945 locks up totals plane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hitec 5945 locks up totals plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 11:04 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hitec 5945 locks up totals plane

I guess I'm missing the threads about 8411's cocking themselves over at 6 minutes. Can someone direct me over to that thread?

I also missed the thread where 8411's needed a software update and where 8411's were blowing their parts apart. If someone could PLEASE direct me to those threads, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

PS, Hitec owners, might want to stop sharing your stories about how your servos are self destructing for whatever reason and then in the same breath telling everyone that "your other airplane" has all Hitec. Just a suggestion. Maybe I just need to have a JR 8411/8611 failure. After hundreds of flights, and hundreds more to go, I'm sure I'll get one. I'll make sure to post here if it happens, you all stay tuned.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:43 AM
unknown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Just...2003482/tm.htm

There you go

JR, HITEC, FUTABA, ETC. ??Do they make there own electronic component. (resistor, transistor, motors) or they buy from the same suppler (phillips) ???

cairoman
Thats a good point . I always use 4.8 volts in my aircraft. I don,t like the idea of using regulator or over powering my radio equipment
Old 07-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: unknown
JR, HITEC, FUTABA, ETC. ??Do they make there own electronic component. (resistor, transistor, motors) or they buy from the same suppler (phillips) ???
I spent many years testing & repairing electronic equipment for the military and aerospace sectors, and my company (Marconi Space & Defence Systems) determined that the majority of problems we found and fixed had nothing to do with poor components - mostly the issues were poor quality (or flat-out incorrect) assembly of the final unit. Of the few remaining issues that were related to poor components, almost all of them were easily screened out by proper test & burn-in procedures, plus traceability of component batches. It's a situation in which the ingredients in your cake are less likely to be at fault than the way you mix & bake it

BTW - if many of the Hitec issues are/were related to the software versions, as alluded to above, then the electronic componentry seems pretty irrelevant in those cases.

Gordon
Old 07-23-2004, 12:45 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Well, just my experiences here, I don't know HOW many servo's I've owned of each, but if I had to venture guesses I would say:

JR servo's................40ish
Futaba servo's.........30ish
Hitec servo's...........30ish

JR Failures..............none
Futaba Failures.......3 (2 128's, 1 148) incidentally, I lost 2 planes to Brand new Futaba transmitters, Futaba admitted fault and compensated fairly realistically
Hitec failers............5

Airplanes lost.........5 (all futaba, this is what made me switch to JR) due to radio failures, 3 servos locked in full deflection on 3 different planes, 2 lost all radio control due to a transmitter problem in one model of radio.

Airplanes slightly damaged.......2 (hitec HS81's)

I have never put hitecs on anything except throttles, retract switches, or brake switches. I had 2 airplanes damaged when the gear switch servo failed and I had gear up landings. Nothing major, but still a piss off.

As a result, I don't use hitec on any critical surface. Hitec has ALWAYS looked and felt cheap to me. I don't really know why, but when I look at a hitec servo I just don't want to use it. I kind of feel the same about Futaba, JR is the only servo I can look at and it LOOKS well made, I've also never had a failure so that's probably what is affecting my judgement on the looks issue as well. I know it sounds stupid, and maybe it is, but if something looks cheap to me, it typically doesn't work how I want it to.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts

On what basis info do you make this statement? I'd love to know your source!
Bob
ORIGINAL: wojtek

heres a cher-er-uper .... Hitec makes a lot of the servos for JR ....

Wojtek
Old 07-23-2004, 12:57 PM
UK Flier

Guess what the 8 Turbine Monster B52 from the UK which is claimed to be "the worlds largest multi turbine powered model" uses for servos.

You guessed it, every servo on board is a Hitec. Ref Aug2004 RCMW

So on what must be one of the most expensive models around Hitec wins.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65468.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	156539  
Old 07-23-2004, 01:37 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: UK Flier

Guess what the 8 Turbine Monster B52 from the UK which is claimed to be "the worlds largest multi turbine powered model" uses for servos.

You guessed it, every servo on board is a Hitec. Ref Aug2004 RCMW

So on what must be one of the most expensive models around Hitec wins.

John
And can be lost due to servo failure
Old 07-23-2004, 01:51 PM
unknown

Guess what the 8 Turbine Monster B52 from the UK which is claimed to be !QUOT!the worlds largest multi turbine powered model!QUOT! uses for servos.
WOW [X(][X(]

THAT IT I'm changing to HITEC If he can trust hitec to that (Monster B52) its good enough for my F-15 Lets hope it don't crash. You know what the anti hitec guys would say
Old 07-23-2004, 02:44 PM
seanreit

On a project where all components supplied by the lowest bidder I'm sure!! (B52) Don't think they are running P-70's on that bird.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have watching this thread with interest. Last year i built a PA F-16 and was not having much fun with the sloppy JR 8411`s in my AD F-16 tailerons. The 8611`s were new and scarse so after talking to the big plane guys at my club i went with the Hitec 5945`s in the tailerons. They have worked well and have a very tight gear train still today. Oh well, i guess they passed the infant mortality stage and should work forever now, or will they?? arghhh.
V..
Old 07-23-2004, 03:30 PM
HotelSierra
My Feedback: (9)

Although my personal preference is JR servos, I often do not have a say when I am given a company airplane to fly or demo. Recently, Tamjets have been testing & utilizing a number of Hitec servos. Except for the 56xx and 52xx series servos we have not had any other problems with the Hitec servo line. My last viperjet had a mix of JR & Hitec. And I would not have an issue with supplying a recommended Viperjet servo list, as we have had exceptionally results. Although Tamjets predominantly uses JR electronics, Tam realizes there is a segment of the market that is looking for acceptable lower cost alternatives. This being said, a friend of mine who is a BVM rep has had more JR servo failures than I have had with all servo brands combined. The moral to my story is, I never put 100% faith in any electronic device, particularly knowing that human error is always part of the equation during manufacturing. I attempt to individually test & burn all servos before installation and during rigging and ongoing maintenance with a digital volt/amp meter plugged inline to determine current draw issues that could signal potential electronic failures/problems.

John O.
Tamjets Rep
Old 07-23-2004, 03:55 PM
seanreit

Good advice John.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:30 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Unknown - the link you mention is not about servo reliability or quality, it refers to a JR servo (3301) that has had stripped gears because of transport and/or bumping the control surface...the thread suggests using the metal geared equivalent servo (JR 3421) instead. Not an indication of JR quality or reliability.

I just bought a plane equipped with 5945's....only six flights on it...I am going to have the firmare levels checked/updated and will cycle them, just to be safe.

Barry
Old 07-26-2004, 09:36 AM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone determined what is causing the hardover condidtion? It is interesting to have this type of failure. I understand many failure modes. I don't understand how the servo goes hard over prior to the failure.

Just for the record out of 100's of servos (all brands):
1 hard over failure. .25 sized plane low end Hitec servo (motor siezed - How did it get hard over?).
1 Hitec servo arm snapped in flight (did not snap at clevis, snapped near servo)
2 high end Futaba's fail (gears - no bumps or other bad treatment - 27% Extra 300 lost maiden flight).
2 high end Futaba's fail to center right out of the box.
5 Low end JR's which would jump or go to full throw (Don't use 537's for anything you care about)
4 JR mini's with gears that didn't mesh - new not used
many bench failures of lesser brands

ZERO Multiplex issues - too bad they were purchased

Mark M
Old 07-10-2006, 03:06 PM
JetsoverTofield

About the B-52 http://www.teambanana.co.uk/b52rob.wmv Rumored to be a possible "mechanichal problem". Won't change my mind about Hitecs. $47-60 CDN difference between the 5945's and 9152/8411/8611's at the LHS is not "A few Bucks". I can cycle the Hitecs on a big project and save plenty. Andrew is absolutely right they ALL have failures and I won't lose any sleep over using Hitec at all. Just for the record, the only JR servos I own are 2 8411's that I got used in a plane.~50 Hitecs ~50 Futaba and the only failures I have personally experienced were gear train related/all Futaba low end models.
Just my 2 cents
Adam
Old 07-10-2006, 03:14 PM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

Lou is that you?

Call me some time...leave your number