Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Not Real Sure What Happened

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Backyard Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Real Sure What Happened

I emailed TRAXXAS this to see what they say. What do you guys think?
Hey Guys,

Just got the Revo 3.3. Its got about 9 tanks of fuel through it.I was doing a little bashing and something happened. After a landing I heard the engine get really loud and sounded like the idle was really high. I went to hit the throttle and the car didn't go anywhere. My first thought was a broken drive shaft. Then I killed it and took in the house to check out what was wrong. It wasn't the drive shaft. I was a little confused at first. I started it back up again and it was real loud. I looked and saw that the gears coming out of the engine are spinning but the the gear to the gear box. The gear from the engine and the gear heading into the gear box were not touching. So from what I can understand the engine is running and is spinning the gears coming out from the engine but is not touching the gear heading into the gear box that then spins the drive shaft. I'm not real sure what happened. I also saw that the gear that is connected to the gear box is right in front of the carburetor, now I cant get the air filter on. I think it is bent but not sure what has bent. I've included some pics to show you what I'm trying to say. You can see with the second pic that the gear showing is right by the carburetor not allowing the air filter to go on. The pic below is a little hard to see but it shows the gear coming out of the engine is not touching the one that leads into the gear box.
Thanks for all the help.
Sincerely,
Kyle

Sorry the pics wouldnt upload. I hope I Explained well enough.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:53 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Default RE: Not Real Sure What Happened

One thing for sure, from what you said, your gear mesh was jacked up from landing. You will need to re-align them. Maybe it was not tightened down good.

I can olny suggest looking into the manual or the exploded veiws of your model.

Also when posting questions like these, Its much more helpful if you learn the RC linggo, know the correct names of the parts you want to describe. Example for nitros the gear attached to the engine is called the clutch bell, (called pinion gear for electrics, and the first gear that this turns is the spur gear, and so on.

On your photos, maybe you need to resize them to a smaller file for it to upload.

I wish I can give you more help. The photos would really help a lot in assesing the problem.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Backyard Racer

Yea I know about the lingo. Im trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. I try my best though. Im sure TRAXXAS wil reply the same about the lingo. Im not sure why the pictures wouldnt load. I know I have slow internet out here in the country. Thanks For All The Help.
~Kyle~
Old 07-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Medrivfast

Sounds like you stripped your spur gear. In your lingo, Is the big black gear missing any teeth?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Backyard Racer

Medrivfast,
No its not. Real real sorry about my lingo. I just dont know everything yet. Nope not missing any teeth. I dont think thats the problem at all, the big black gear(Im Real Sorry) is right in the way of the carb where you put the air filter, it's like the whole think moved. The black gear is about 1/8 of an inch away from the clutch bell. Finally got some pics. The first two show how the big black gear is in the way of the carb. The third one is hard to see but if you look carefully you can see the space in between the clutch bell and the big black gear. Thanks For All The Help.
~Kyle~

Old 07-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Timmahh
Banned

i m thinking you broke the motor mount, thus twisting the motor from the normal position, and creating the gap between the Spur Gear ( big black gear) and your Clutch Bell ( gear on end of motor, if you remove your clutch bell gear, you will find your clutch behind it, and your flywheel behind your clutch FYI). you may of just broke a mount bolt or two, but with a gap like that and your saying its reving high cuz the linkage is pulled or pushed due to the offset motor, again, imo, due to a broken motor mount. i say open the manual, pull the motor and look at the mount, if its good put check the motor over includeing the exhaust manifold, for cracks and openings. you said it got really loud, so that tells me broken manifold or pipe.
if you take pics of the process and post up, we ll be able to see possible issues. try to get them as clear as possible.
Timmahh
Old 07-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Medrivfast

It does sound like you broke your motor mount. Just flip the truck upside down and look for any cracks. But the spur gear does kinda look like it got shredded a bit too.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Backyard Racer

Timmahh,
Thanks Ill check the motor mount. Now I know what a few of the gears are. Im not sure when Im going to get it done and get some more pics. I just remembered that I was spending the night at my friends house tommorrow. I had to pack and get my paintball stuff ready(I know a little bit about this stuff). Thanks for all the help both of you guys. Timmahh I saw you live in Michigan, are you going to the ROAR Championship Series at Freelin. Its July 29th, Ill provide the link, the RC info is at the bottom of the page. I let you guys know if it is the motor mount.
Thanks For All The Help
~Kyle~

Heres that link..... www.freelinmx.com/pit%20bikes.htm
Old 07-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Backyard Racer

Well I took the engine out of the car and looked at everything and nothing was broke. I put it back in and try to line everything up. Now it works. Thanks for all the help from everyone that responded.
~Kyle~
Old 07-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Medrivfast

1 of the screws might have just gotten loose and moved the motor a bit. Always tighten the screws before you take it out.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Evader 53

That exact situation happened w/ my Evader and so I took it into the hobby shop to see if they could find what was up...

From what I remember where the engine connects to the exhaust the screws had come out and the exhaust pipe was loose and off the engine, causing the really loud engine and poor performance.

Hope this helps,
--Evader
Old 07-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Doahh

his mesh was messed up... completely different problem
Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Ryan11

The spur gear still looks like its been striped. The next mod you should do is go and buy a metal spur gear (big black cog) It will save you buying plastic ones when you strip them.

Ryan.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:16 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And use Loc-tite on the motor mount!

Ryan