Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Perky Old Time Speed Postal Contest

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Perky Old Time Speed Postal Contest

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:34 AM
GrahamC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perky Old Time Speed Postal Contest

Perky Old Time Speed Postal event 2006

This is a one design plane postal contest using the Megow PERKY designed by Matt Kania. The Perky was kited by Megow of Philadelphia Pennsylvania in 1947* and was a control line Class A speed plane with a span of 18" and 64 sq. in area designed for .19 size ignition engines.

* according to his bio at http://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/bio/Kania.pdf

The first and only Perky OTS Postal contest was held in 2000 as "THE MILLENNIUM OLD TIME SPEED CONTEST" and was organized by Neville Palmer and Bob Langelius of PAL Model Products.

The idea of a Perky OTS has not been without it's enthusiasts. A quick search of the internet will find numerous references to past and currently scheduled control line get togethers listing Perky OTS as part of the festivities. I found listings for at least two events hosted by the Lafayette Esquadrille of St. Louis Missouri for this year.

I have volunteered to organize another Perky OTS postal event this year. The rules of the game remain unchanged although I have clarified them somewhat.

I am now in possession of plans for the Perky and have posted digital copies on the Yahoo Perky OTS group under the files section. I will know shortly how much it will cost to have paper copies of the plans made and mailing costs for those who would prefer a ready set of plans.

There will be no "registration fee" for this event this year. The need for a "registration fee" or donation will be re-addressed at a later date as I intend to continue this event into next year and I wish it to be self funding.

The cut off date for this years "Perky OTS Postal Event" is Nov 30, 2006.

This years postal event will be a lead in to next years 60th Anniverary of the Perky with a cut off for the "Perky OTS 60th Annivesary Spring Tune Up" of May 31, 2007 and the "Perky OTS 60th Annivesary Grande Finale" being Nov 30, 2007.

I am still waiting on responses to some of the emails I have sent to some of the listed contacts. In the mean time please feel free to pass the word around, locally, nationally, internationally; the more the merrier.

Although there is no registration fee this year, donations will be gratiously accepted. Prizes, placques or what not are still to be decided.

Times a wastin'! Dust off your old model or build a new one.

Most of all, get out, get some flying done and have fun!

Graham [email protected]

Rules

* Engine size .14 to .1525 cu. in. glow or diesel, or .19 size ignition

* 2 x .012 stranded line control and line length shall be such that the distance from model's center line to center line of handle is a minimum of 52'-6" lines. The entrant must follow the guidelines of their governing model body as to line diameter for this size of model if different from .012".

* Suction feed fuel system only - no pressure tanks.

* No tuned pipes

* Two x 1-1/2" wheels as per plan

* 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" spinner mandatory

* Perky model built as plan outline. Construction modification allowed.

* one mile (16 laps) standing start timed from model's release.

* submit as many flight times as you wish, only the last one submitted will be considerd your official time for the standings

* Overall winner will be the one who's flight time is closest to the average of all official entry times. In the case of a tie, the closest but not exceeding the average will be the winner.

* As it is a speed event there will be bragging rights for the fastest times, glow, diesel and ignition.

* No submitted times will be published until the winners are announced.

Some web links of note:

http://home.earthlink.net/~lloydfour/perky.html - web page of original Postal event

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dcforu...ID1/19797.html - original thread on the Stuka Stunt Forum

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PerkyOTS/messages - PerkyOTS yahoo group