Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Futaba Pilot assist Link or FMA Co-Pilot

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Futaba Pilot assist Link or FMA Co-Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 07:31 PM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba Pilot assist Link or FMA Co-Pilot

Does anyone have any experience with the Futaba PA-2 Pilot Assist link or the FMA Direct Co-Pilot? I want to write about them for our club newsletter and I have a couple new pilots that would consider purchasing one. I know that it will not replace a simulator or an instructor. I am just wondering how it would be as a security blanket as they progress to solo, or for an experienced pilot progressing more advanced planes.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2002, 11:32 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Default RE: PILOT ASSIT LINKS

I USED ONE WHEN I WAS TRAINING ON MY TRAINER.I HAVEN'T USED ONE SINCE.IT REACTS TO THE POSTISION OF THE SUN AND IF ITS A COUDY DAY OR THERE IS A BRIGHT SUN W/O CLOUDS,IT MIGHT REACT DIFFERENTLY.I KNOW YOU CAN'T USE IT WHEN FLY OVER WATER,BUT I HEARD GUYS USING BLUE FILTERS.I DO HAVE TO ADMITT THAT THE PA LINK SAVED MY TRAINER FROM GOING BACK TO ITS KIT FORM A TIME OR TWO. THATS ONLY WHEN YOUR INTRUCTOR PRYS YOUR FINGERS OFF THE STICKS TO NUTERALISE THEM.THE SICKS HAVE TO BE NUTRALIZED FOR THE PA LINK TO WORK.
JUST REMEMBER ITS A SECURITY BLANKET AND COULD END UP BEING A CRUTCH.AND A RC'ER MAY GET TO DEPENDENT ON THEM, AND IT COULD LET THEM DOWN SOMETIME.
CHECK OUT APRIL 2002 ISSUE OF MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS.
NEDYOB
PS GOOD LUCK ON YOUR CMB F-16N AND LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:14 AM
FlyHard

One of the members is using it on a helicopter and it's very effective. If (when) he gets in trouble he just lets go of the sticks and the heli goes into a nice hover. Don't know if it's a training aid or a crutch but it works.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:03 AM
KingAir
My Feedback: (118)

Default FMA Direct Co-Pilot

May issue of RCM has two write-ups on the FMA unit and the May issue of AMA Model Aviation also has a write-up on this same unit.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:39 PM
EkRr

Default Futaba PA-2

I have been looking all over the net for a review or some success stories on the PA-2. The FMA Unit looks good, but is 3 times the cost. Please let me know if you see any information on the PA-2, good or bad.

They say that it can not be used near mountains, over water or near dusk. Our field has a pond in the pattern, and is in a valley between two hills.

Thanks
Erick
Old 04-02-2002, 02:47 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

They use completely different technology and the Futaba is sensetive to changing conditions due to the sensors it uses Futaba home page faqs has some of the does and donts
Old 04-02-2002, 09:10 PM
Craig-RCU

I have a PA-2. I set it up like Don Incol ( http://www.users.bigpond.com/sirexwasp/hover.htm ) to help with hovering my plane. Don used the HAL-2100 but it has light sensors just like the PA-2 whereas, the FMA-Direct Co-pilot has heat sensors. From my experience, the PA-2 works great on overcast days and not so good on Sunny days. The PA-2 tends to orient itself to the Sun on Sunny days. It doesn't work over water or snow because the PA-2 light sensors are set up to assume that the up (the sky) is lighter than down (the ground). Its simple 4-light sensor setup can't deal with hot spots (the Sun or reflections of the Sun) or darkspots (shadows of buildings and such). That is why it works so good on overcast days because the sky is a uniform grey and any shadows are soft and indestinct. Still, you don't want to fly close to buildings (always a good idea with or without a PA-2).

I contacted a person at FMA Direct and they said that the Co-Pilot did not have the "Sunny day" problem or problems with snow and water. It also cannot sense heat through plastic coverings or oily fuel residue so, the Don Incoll method of mounting the HAL-2100 would not work for the Co-Pilot but they are comming out with a way to mout the Co-pilot inside a plane.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:53 PM
EkRr

Default PA-2

Craig,

I was hoping that the PA-2 was more reliable, due to the fact that it is 1/3 the price of the FMA unit. The review in AMA on the FMA Co-Pilot was very good. They say you can even use it as an aid for hovering a heli.

I want the unit to get rid of the new plane jitters. Right now I will have a more experienced pilot either do the first flight or stand with me. It would be nice to have a safety blanket on the plane. It would also be nice when practicing new aerobatics. If you get disoriented just let go! I never thought of it as a hovering aid. Very cool!

Maybe I will bite the bullet on the FMA unit.

Thanks
Erick
Old 07-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Snowball1952
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Futaba Pilot assist Link or FMA Co-Pilot

I used the FMA Unit. The best I think. I loved mine. Looking for a sensor .If anyone has one the want to part with. I did a dumb thing and lost my sensor for the FMA PILOT ASSIT UNIT. Best thing you can get. If you get in trouble you let go of the sticks and it recovers the plane. It is so cool.
Later and Good Luck.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:23 PM
meesteric

I am very interested in the "blue filter" you are describing to inprove the futaba pilot assist.
It seems a good idea to me.
Can you tell me where you found this information?
Thanks !