Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

panel lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 12:01 PM
Richard-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default panel lines

Any suggestions on the best way to achieve panel lines on a scale warbird. I have heard of a graphics company that will provide an overlay from your plans. Anyone know how to contact them or have other suggestions?
Old 03-15-2002, 04:17 PM
Mike James

Default panel lines

Check out the "Scale How-To" thread over at "Scale"
http://rcuniverse.com/showthread.php...082&forumid=78
Old 03-15-2002, 06:41 PM
Richard-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Default panel lines

Thanks, I will check it out.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Zero
My Feedback: (42)

Default RE: panel lines

Richard
I applied panel lines on my Ziroli Zero on the top of the wing and fuse only. After I completed sanding the primer smooth I used 3M Fineline tape 1/16" for the panel lines. I measured and scaled up their location from one of the many books available. After I applied the tape I then applied another coat of primer over the entire plane. Then sand the primer until the tape has no primer on it. Then, this is the fun part, remove all of the tape and lightly sand any feathers that might appear. Once this is done you are ready for paint and the recessed panel lines will show up nicely. One more thing to remember is that there is no tape to come off in flight. Good Luck
Fred
Old 07-20-2006, 06:34 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: panel lines

To simulate butt joints, I use 1/64" chart tape. After glassing and once the surface is smooth, I layout the lines from 3 views in pencil. I then run the tape over the lines. This can be a bit tricky with such thin tape, it wants to curl and the adhesive side tends to flip up. Once the tape is all on, I use a high build sandable primer and give the tape several coats, feathering the primer out as you get further from the panel edges. I use about 3 or 4 coats. Once the primer is dry, pull up the tape leaving a trench in the primer which simulates the joint. Often the adhesive will stay in the trench. Once the primer is fully cured, you can go back with a solvent and a tooth brush and scrub it out. Next give a light sanding with 320 or finer grit paper to smooth any rough edges.
for lap joints, where one panel is raised, I use masking tape to tape over the lower panel. Once again I spray the joint with high build primer feathered out toward the center of the panel. Once dry, remove the masking tape and you are left with a raised edge. Lightly sand and you are now ready for rivet detailing and painting.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12917.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	494314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21937.jpg
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	494315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31875.jpg