Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

External Pylons / Tanks

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

External Pylons / Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:18 PM
TomcatDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External Pylons / Tanks

I Have posted this question in RC jets but have had no replies as yet,..... I want to add external Pylons and to my aircraft and need to know how people build them in or attach them to their wings,....the Tanks will be show only and not operational,....pics would be great aswell,....

Thanks
JJ[8D]
Old 07-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: External Pylons / Tanks

...do you mean external fuel pods, or fuel tanks ?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:11 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You would have to install some hard points in the wing before sheeting and probably use some blind nuts ("T"-nuts) epoxied in place, then finish sheeting the wing. I hope you are building a kit and not trying to modify an ARF.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:25 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A tip on those tanks.

If their location is near a rib, they're fairly easy to do. Use a light wood like bass or pine. Make a thick piece that matches the wing rib to glue in like a doubler. Make it just slightly thicker than the screws you plan to use. Drill and tap it for the screws. Harden those holes with CA. Drill some lightening holes in it, there won't really be very much force on it since your droptank or bombs are going to be very light. Glue it as a doubler to a rib. Make sure it also touches to the spar and glue it to that as well.

You can drill matching holes through the droptank or bomb and run very light bolts up into the threaded holes and have removable tanks/bombs.

If you don't want removable stores, if they are built lightly enough, they can simply be glued to the wing wherever there is a rib to support them and none of the above would be necessary.