Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Started back on the Discovery Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Started back on the Discovery Jet

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 07:20 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started back on the Discovery Jet

Well after a year and 3 months I'm finally back on completing the Discovery jet. Shortly after I started this project last year we sold our house and moved into a smaller one. But I also got involved in screen printing t-shirts and my garage became a t-shirt printing shop leaving little room for model building. Also at the start of 2006 I started taking private pilot lessons with hopes of getting my private pilot license. Between my t-shirt business, flying lessons, work, and family life I had to put away the model building for a while.

However, I recently attended the Shreveport Jets 2006 event and seeing Barry's Reaction 54 burn hole after hole in the big blue sky it gave me a renewed drive towards finishing the Discovery jet. In my opinion Bruce, the maker of the Reaction 54, should have up sized the 54 to also handle the 18 to 24 pound thrust turbines. Currently the Reaction 54 only has enough room for the 10 to 14 pound turbines. At any rate I'm back on the construction of the Discovery jet and plan to sheet the wings and tail surfaces over the coming weekend and vacuum down the wings skins.

Below is a picture with the wings and tail surfaces temporarily attached to show just how big the Discovery jet is. The table the Discovery jet is sitting on is 4 feet long. I've read one post which says the wing is about as big as BVM's Kingcat so the Discovery should be a ***** cat in the sky.

You can also see more pictures on my website: [link]http://www.houstonhobbies.com/jets/discovery/discovery-jet-session5.htm[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67629.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	490844  
Old 07-13-2006, 08:23 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Started back on the Discovery Jet

good luck jr, that is a nice size. as for the elevator, go two servos. nothing wrong with redundancy, barry
Old 07-13-2006, 08:31 AM
jetflyer

Barry,

Thanks for the reply I was about to PM you and ask about the elevator setup in the Reaction 54. But I saw it on Bruce's website. Not sure if I will go that route or place them towards the back under the horizontal. The plans don't show the setup at all so I guess it's builder's choice.

Long range plans would be to build a second wing with retracts and Kevlar live hinged control surfaces. But for now I'm just trying to get something flying again. I really wished I could have burned some Jet-A in Shreveport.

JR
Old 07-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi JR, never knew you started one of these. Looks to be a fine flyer, just needs the nose prettied up a bit so it doesn't look as boxy as the prototypes. A Eurosport canopy like the Alleycat? - John. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Name:	Qo38772.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	491339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84529.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	491340  
Old 07-14-2006, 07:14 AM
jetflyer

John,

Yes I had started one back last year before we sold our house and moved. So far it's been an easy jet to build. After I saw the videos of Bill from U Fly Hobbies flying one I got the bug to build it. I liked the big appearance in the air and slower flight performance. Most people like to see big planes anyway and since this one will be turbine powered it will be even more of an attraction. I'm not into speed as much as I want a nice stable easy to fly turbine jet. You know take the stress out of flying and just have some fun. I haven't cut the top section of the fuselage out yet because I might decide to make it round instead of flat. I also might extend the nose out a bit using foam and sanding it down to shape. We will see.

Session 6 is now posted online - [link]http://www.houstonhobbies.com/jets/discovery/discovery-jet-session6.htm[/link]

JR

Name:	Db85129.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	491390  
Old 07-14-2006, 09:00 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

JR,

Good to see you working toward flying RC Jets again! It's been kinda lonely flying by myself.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Just wait until I get you on the sticks of Bob's JetMach at GSW!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:55 AM
jetflyer

Gary,

Yeah it's been a while hasn't it? I was a bit bummed thinking I did not have any garage space left for building...but...I have plenty of tables and a good size yard. Bingo!!! Did a bit of re-arranging in the garage for my power tools and I just have to bring them out when I need to use them. Best of all I don't have any balsa dust to sweep out! Bonus!!! Should have my turbine back from ModellBau in a few weeks. Had to replace the turbine wheel, bearings, and combustin unit. Once back it will have a 6 month warranty and be like a brand new turbine. I debated about getting it fixed, but decided it was cheaper in the long run. And I'm already use to carrying out the scuba tank so why change things now. Shouldn't be too long and I'll be burning some Kero with you again.

Shok,

I was hoping for some stick time at Shreveport but you were a no show. So put me down for some at GSW for sure! Pretty interesting model considering the family gene pool it was derived from. Who would have thought to mate an Aviator and a 54 together. I'm hedging my money that the Discovery will fly well. It won't be a speed demon but could be the grass field big sport jet that I've been looking for. I'll let you have some fun with it at GSW too if you like.

JR
Old 07-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Boomerang1

hey JR, did not notice you were the owner of Houston Hobbies. When I view the site I do not get the pics, just the little white boxes with red crosses. Do I have to subscribe or something? - John.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:18 PM
jetflyer

John,

Not sure I'll have to check with my web provider.

JR
Old 07-14-2006, 07:36 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

jr, you and chuck interested in scobee sunday, barry
Old 07-15-2006, 01:59 AM
jetflyer

I don't have anything to fly but I'm probably game to come out and watch. Give me a call 832-221-8413

JR
Old 07-15-2006, 12:35 PM
grbaker

Jr

Next weekend I can probably get you some stick time on one Facet for sure and maybe even a second one, huh Chuck.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:42 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup! This plane feels pretty good - that is all the systems tested out fine, was test flown by a professional and flies really nice. Can't wait for NEXT weekend - used up my kitchen passes this weekend...time for a date night and quality time Sunday, which is nice in it's own right but has the added bonus of building those passes up! Then you get a guy like Gary who must have built up a life time supply....
Old 07-15-2006, 04:19 PM
grbaker

Then you get a guy like Gary who must have built up a life time supply....
You must know some other jet guy named Gary. I'm lucky if I get to fly 2 days a month. Hope the weather holds out for next weekend.

WE need a Good Jet Friendly field on the south side of Houston. Know any one that has won the Lottery?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Boomerang1

JR, checked back to the site, pics loaded fine thanks - John.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:57 AM
jetflyer

Session 7 now posted - Wing skins have been cut out

[link]http://www.houstonhobbies.com/jets/discovery/discovery-jet-session7.htm[/link]

Name:	Us52567.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	494507  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:42 AM
jetflyer

Session 8 is now posted online covering the vacuum bagging of the wings.

[link]http://www.houstonhobbies.com/jets/discovery/discovery-jet-session8.htm[/link]

Name:	Ki18490.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	496091