Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

OS 18TZ-TX IN THE RS4 3 EVO

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:25 PM
jpachill1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 18TZ-TX IN THE RS4 3 EVO

Thanks Nitromustang.

Ok, I have the engine. Those of you looking to do this here are some of the things you will need. I have ordered the drive train upgrades that Nitromustang sugested. Here are the other things that you will need.

1. Engine: OS 18tz-tx, that is the 18tz with rotary carb and pull start.

2. HPI engine mounts, manufacture #86045

3. HPI rear exhaust header, manufacturer #86162: you will have to ground down the bottom of the flang to make it fit. The pull starter housing gets in the way.

4. Air filter, traxxas #5260: you don't have to use this air filter but they make a nice filter that does well and will still fit under the body.

I have done a quick fit, and everything looks ok. That is with the stock upper deck still in place. Having said that I will keep you all posted as to the real fit of the engine and everthing else. I will be installing the big daddy to the mother ship tomorrow morning.

Let me know if there is anything else that I should know that any of you have gone through while doing this.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 08-02-2006, 04:45 PM
jpachill1

Alright, I have got the 18tz in and two tanks through the break in. All looks good, and sounds great!. I am still using the stock muffler for now, but I do plan to change that.
HPIApollo, what pipe do you recommend, well anyone for that matter?
Old 08-02-2006, 04:53 PM
nitromustang

RD logics turbo 2 pipe.

http://www.rdlogics.com/cgi-bin/cate...35R&type=store

Mike
Old 08-03-2006, 09:22 PM
jpachill1

I like the pipe, that will be next.

OK, I was only able to get into, or through, 3 1/5 tanks of fuel. So far I am loving this engine. She purrs nice and has a great pick up. But, like I said, I am only through 3 1/5 tanks. I have a little bit more to go before I can find out what she can do.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:07 PM
jpachill1

I am past the initial break in. But, I am still taking the engine easy and through the paces. Of course I recommend after run oil and such.
Having said that, I am very impressed with this engine. I still have not thoroughly opened the throttle up over half throttle. I would not recommend an engine any bigger for the rs4 than this. You run out of parking lot quickly and there can't be anyone that could beat you in a race (depending on your skills) and even then you could still beat them out of control!
Now, some of you may have, but I have never had a car actually leave tracks on pavement. I was doing some straight line drag's that produced 18-24" worth of beautiful black stuff on the tarmac and yet it still took off like a rocket. IF that doesn't make you happy not much will, this engine is amazing and I am sure that I will have tons to report. I am still running the stock rs4 evo 3 drive train with no problems, but I know as I go I will need to replace. I do have the items mentioned in earlier post ordered and they should be at my lhs by now.
AWESOME!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:01 PM
jpachill1

all is going well, but today I did shred my right rear foam tire to the rim. If you can spend the bucks, I recommend the engine with out a doubt. it is a blast!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 PM
nitromustang

jpachill1,you should come out to the track sometime soon.The Hpi rs4 3's have been running good there vs the tc3's,last week another hpi took first and i took second.Two weeks ago I broke the track record with my hpi.

Mike
Old 08-11-2006, 10:27 PM
jpachill1

Wow, I will have to get up there soon. I just got a firehammer today and have been having a blast with that. I need to get the tires recommended for the track. I also need to get the t15 fixed, I broke the nub that is in the crank shaft so you can turn the engine over. I need to send it back, it's not that old. As for the 18tz, I do love that motor, I see that foam will probably be my best bet for tires right now. I will let you know when I will be up, I will try to get there in the next 3 weeks hopefully.

Paul