Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine for T Craft

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 11:11 PM
Jimdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for T Craft

I received a Hangar 9 Clipped Wing T Craft for Xmas. I am looking for a little help on engine selection. I saw an ad for the RCS 140 in High Flight and I also saw an ad for the FPE 1.3 in Model Aviation. I have no experience with either of these products. Anyone out there know anything about the RCS or the FPE engine line? Thanks

Jim
Old 01-06-2003, 12:00 AM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

I've had good luck with the larger engines in the RCS line and would think the 140 would be a good choice. I also think the new Zenoah G26 would do a good job.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:26 AM
Barry Fogal

Default TaylorCraft Engine Selection

I have a Taylor Craft and fly with a few others. I have a MDS 148 in mine, friends have a Satio 120 4C, and a Zenoah G23. The planes all fly fine with these engines. It comes down to what you want to do. For general poking around a 120 4C will fly the plane, the G23 is cheap to operate and performance is good but with poor vertical. The MDS 148 will vertical about 200 feet then slide. I spoke with RC Showcase when I built mine and they suggested the RCS 180 (30 cc) for the Taylorcraft and after flying the plane I would have to agree. If you want to hover the ZDZ 40 sportsman kit would be the sure way to go, just use throttle management and common sense with all of that power.

Be sure to check out thier website for the overal engine lengths. You will find that you may have to cut the firewall for clearance for the carb.

Using the MDS 148, I had to add 8 oz of weight to the nose to hit balance. The gasers should bring you real close.

Your going to like flying this one!!!!! Good Luck.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:44 AM
James Mitchell

I had a RCS180 in mine and flew it at about 1/2 throttle. Due to engine problems (hard to start) I am changing to a ZENOAH G26. Should be just about right for realistic power and fuel consumption.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:20 AM
Thomas Williams
My Feedback: (4)

I think if you really want performance for that plane a saito 180 would be a good choice.On the other hand if you are not looking for performance the g-23 or 26 would be fine and economical.A zdz 40 would be another good choice if you can control yourself with the throttle,ha,ha.Good luck with what ever you choose.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:14 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JLB
I've had good luck with the larger engines in the RCS line and would think the 140 would be a good choice. I also think the new Zenoah G26 would do a good job.
I have just received one of these planes and contacted Erick Royer who reviewed the plane for RCUniverse on a G23
He told me that the G23 was "just right" if slightly underpowered for the plane but a G26 should be excellent.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:52 PM
ptebbe
My Feedback: (27)

There has been MUCH discussion about this topic!!
See this thread for the latest......

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...=&pagenumber=1]
Old 08-10-2003, 02:16 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Default GCBM R/C 25cc

$100.00 less than a G26, 15% stronger!

www.gcbmrc.com

Regards,
GPB
Old 08-16-2003, 02:30 AM
FLYTRAP

Default TAYLOR CRAFT ENGINE

HEY ALL, I JUST RECENTLY GOT MY TAYLOR CRAFT IN THE AIR.DONE A LOT OF MODS TO IT AS I BUILT IT, LANDING GEAR REINFORCEMENT WIRE FROM BENNETT IND., OHIO REAR GEAR ALOT BETTER THAN THE ONES IN THE KIT,MOUNTED THE SERVOS FOR THE RUDDER AND THE ELEVATOR IN THE REAR OF THE PLANE, THIS WAS TO OFFSET THE WEIGHT OF THE G-38 IT HAS HANGING OFF THE FRONT SWINGING A 18 X 10 ZINGER PROP WITH A 3 IN. ALLUM. SPINNER. HAD TO HAVE ENGINE MOUNTS MADE TO FIT EVERYTHING IN THE COWL. THE PLANE LOOKS GREAT AND FLIES EVEN BETTER THAN I HAD EXPECTED. IT ALSO BALANCED WITH NO WEIGHTS. ALSO USED HEAVY DUTY CONTROL HORNS THOUGHT THE ONES IN THE KITS WERE WEAK LOOKING. MY STRUT MOUNTING BRACKETS BROKE ON THE 2ND FLIGHT, FOUND SOME STAINLESS STEEL THE SAME THICKNESS AND MADE NEW ONES SO FAR SO GOOD. JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE SOME INFO. GOOD LUCK ALL AND GOD BLESS.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:41 PM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

HERE IS TWO CENTS
MY T-CRAFT HAS A RCS-1.40 MUCH MORE POWER THAN A G23/26 FLYS THE PLANE THE WAY HANGER 9 DESIGNED IT TO BE FLOWN.
YES A RC180 WOULD BE GREAT TOO. THE LARGER GLOWS SUCK UP THE COSTLY FUEL.
MY PLANE CAN FLY FOR 20MIN ON THE TANK SUPPLIED WITH THE KIT. A G-38 IS OVERKILL
FOR GAS ENGINE COMPARISON SEE MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS MAY 2002 HAPPY FLYING
PJAMESRC
Old 08-19-2003, 10:11 PM
FLYTRAP

Default G-38 OVERKILL

YES THE 38 MAY BE OVER KILL , BUT WHEN I GET IN TROUBLE--NOT WATCHING WHAT IM DOING I CAN HIT THE TROTTLE AND PULL OUT WHEN I NEED TO. CAN YOUR 1.40 ? I HAVE NEVER USED RCS ENGINES,I DID READ ABOUT IT IN M.A.N. HAVE YOU HAD MUCH TROUBLE BREAKING IT IN? IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING A P-51 HANGER 9 1.50 SIZE . IT MIGHT BE MY NEXY ENGINE . THE 180 IF STRONG ENOUGH. EVERY BODY HAS TWO CENTS OF INFO. THAT IS WHAT MAKES RC FUN AND THE WAY WE LEARN MORE THANKS
Old 08-21-2003, 11:43 PM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

FLYTRAP
YES WHAT YOU SAY IS TRUE, BUT YOU SHOULD NOT GET IN THAT PREDICAMENT. BUT WHO HASN'T NEED THAT LITTLE BIT OF EXTRA POWER NOW AND THEN.
THE RCS 1.40 HAS 1/3 MORE POWER THAN A G-23. ITOOK 3 GAL OF FUEL TO BREAK MINE IN ON THE BENCH, BY THE WAY NOT IN THE AIR. IT HAS ALMOST AS MUCH HP AS THE G-38 THATS FROM THE M.A.N. MAY 2002 CHARTS. TODAY WE HAD AN RC" FLY IN" AT SUSSEX NJ AIRPORT. KANGE USA (SUPER CRAFT) HAD THEIR MONOCOUPE 90IN WING FLYING WITH A RCS 1.40 MOSTLY AT 1/2 THROTTLE.IT WAS GREAT, VERY IMPRESSIVE. CHECK THESE ENGINES. THEY ARE VERY GOOD & MADE BY MOKI. I HAVE 3 AND I LOVE THEM.
THANKS I ENJOY THE INTERACTION OF RC UNIVERSE JIM
Old 08-25-2003, 04:23 AM
NM_Mark
My Feedback: (8)

Friend of mine has his TCraft powered by a FPE 2.4 Gasser, and it fly's great! Before you say "overkill", keep in mind we fly at 4400' altitude...we loss a lot of power up here. Just a thought, sure starts easy. Couple of flips on the prop, and she's off and running.

Mark
Old 08-25-2003, 10:52 PM
ptebbe
My Feedback: (27)

Default Tcraft engine FPE!!

Here's mine with the FPE 2.4 in it. Looks and flies great!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	104632_31413.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	28196