Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Cuda and DA50

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 04:07 PM
5150flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuda and DA50

I would like to use a pitts style muffler on my Cuda. Which is quieter: Slimline or J&A? I want to avoid a header and canister, but maybe since noise is an issue that is a better option.

Any comments? My field has mainly 60 size planes and I don't want to be a noise problem.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:31 PM
ibow24
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Cuda and DA50

I can't help with your question but If you want to avoid the header because of cutting a hole in the cowl this is what I found.
I am building 2 Cuda's at the moment. For mine I had the engine and header purchased early in the build and with the header I got from DA I did neet to cut a small hole in the side of the cowl BUT the header for the other Cuda was purchased back in June and it looks like they tightened the radius on the header so it now fits neatly inside the cowl with no cutting needed.
just a little FYI

Steve
Old 08-31-2006, 09:08 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

My DA 50 is in my Cuda now with the stock muffler, and I love the performance (but it is not crazy) and it is not loud, however...

Before I sold the airframe the DA 50 was in a Midwest CAP. This was when the 50 was considered new (one of the first, before the bad shafts due to an error on the supplier) Anyway the plane weighed 14lbs... light for a DA 50. I wanted a nice and neat instillation so I opted for a pitts style muffler. (J&A) I was very surprised but the LACK of performance. until I decided to go to the stock muffler. The plane became a beast. (From a dead sup on the runway, pull 3D full up and hit full power... the plane rotated with no roll and just went up...)

The point is that the cuda being heavier (and much bigger) could be on the weak side with a pitts style muffler. So if you want power and noise control go with the cans. If you don't mind losing the power go with a pitts. But keep that in mind.

Good Luck

Rob
Old 09-02-2006, 07:58 AM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

RobT ........ I'm suprised you sold your CUDA, may I ask why?

regards, Ward
Old 09-02-2006, 06:10 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Did it read that way? Sorry, Let me clarify, I sold the Midwest Cap the DA 50 was in to put the DA 50 into the CUDA.

The Cap was smaller and lighter, and ridiculous wit stock muffler (o.k. with the pitts style)

The Cuda is Nice with the DA 50 and stock muffler.

BTW I have said it before (on other posts) and I will say it again, the Cuda is the "biggest feeling" 50cc plane I have ever flown.

Rob