Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Estes staggerwing conversion (Motor??)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Estes staggerwing conversion (Motor??)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Planiac89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Estes staggerwing conversion (Motor??)

Hey im in the process of converting the cheapie estes staggerwing (pappy's flying circus) to conventional rc equipment. I have two 5 gram servos being shipped and plan on getting a gws R4P RX and plan on using a 2 cell kokam 7.4 volt 640mAh li-poly. Does anyone have any suggestions for a power system (motor and esc)? Would this one provide enough thrust? http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...stem/edp50.htm

Any help would be awsome as this is my first conversion and will be my smallest 3ch plane!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:54 AM
soarhead-RCU

Default RE: Estes staggerwing conversion (Motor??)

Planiac:
Interested in trying a conversion like this also. I think it would be kind of a toss up between the motor your thinking of or the geared IPS. I have been trying to get a similar bipe from harbor freight in my area. It is smaller than yours with a 16-18inch wing span. There is a thread on the HF conversion at RCG in the micro section. As I understand it if you can get them around 6-7 ounces they fly pretty good. I would give it a shot, the motor is cheap. How much does the gutted airframe weigh? I have built some depron bipes in the 20 inch wingspan size that flew good with the IPS-A geared motor and the same equipment as yours and they came out around 6-7 ounces. Keep us posted on your finding!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck
Bob
Old 09-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Planiac89

yeah i know the plane your talking about. Ive seen it in their catalog before. looks like it would also make a cool 3 channel. Um i actually don't know the gutted weight because i don't have an accurate scale that mesures in grams (or oz) but im planning on bringing it to my local hobby shop to get it weighed and pick up some other equipment this evening so i'll let you know.

Im gonna pick up an eSky co-co lama to try my hand at indoor heli flying...again. My first try was very unsuccessful with a smarttech aerohawk.[]
Old 09-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Here's the plane: http://www.estesrockets.com/cgi-bin/...s.cgi?view,611

A couple of comments:

1. Weigh it in its stock trim. That is your target weight for the conventional conversion.
2. The 640mAh Kokam is way too big and heavy. Weight is absolutely critical in this conversion. You'll be more than happy with a 400mAh Polyquest Twenty, or maybe even the 300mAh. 2S/7.4V. Plenty of power for planes up to 8oz, even 3D planes. 5-10 minutes duration, and an ounce lighter.
3. Rather than the EDP50, I'd recommend the GWS LPS power system. The bigger prop will be more efficient, and will provide more low-end thrust for this presumably slow-flying plane.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Planiac89

Im back from the hobby shop! the gutted airframe with the custom landing gear i made weighs in at 56 grams. (a little heavier than i thought![X(]) but it should still work as long as i am really careful with the weights of everything else i put in it.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:54 AM
soarhead-RCU

Planiac:
I think you will have a good flier. 1 ounce for the motor---1ounce for the battery---1 ounce for the rx and servos, pushrods ect. your still at maybe 5 to 6 ounces. I never thought of or have used the GWS LPS system but have seen it perform well with small indoor models in the weight you will be at. I guess it just depends on if youcan get enough prop speed to fly the airfoil that the wing use. On my real slow fliers I bend a lot of undercamber in the wing and run a lot of positive incidence in them. Hope she works for you. Will be interested in the results. Always had a soft spot for small planes esp. bipes.
Good Luck
Bob
Old 09-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Planiac89

Well i went and ordered the gws motor (edp-50) on ebay and its coming in the mail. It was cheap (like $12) so i figured it was worth a try and i can always sell it again on ebay. i'll try to post a couple pics tonight or tomorrow.