Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Food 4 Thought

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:44 PM
fxrs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Food 4 Thought

Yo dude this stuff below is crap. are we talking chain saws or RC cars?
Also How in the hell does an 11 pound car weight 18 pounds going 40
miles an hour? Then a full size car at 3,000 pounds must weight
what, 10,000 pounds going 80 miles an hour. oh a Centrifugal
clutch is NOT called a SLIPPER clutch.
OH what the heck does this mean? as engines get stronger, their rpms slow down ,
thats what you wrote. This explanation is all over the place.
Hell I'm still laughing about the 11 pound dry weight car weighting 18 pounds going 40
miles an hour HA HA.

They not only slip, they slide! lol, yes I will give you your links and I will quote , directly from the sites aswell so you can see which article I mean, Before I link, cant you see, there are many forces against the car, they work against the car speeding up and its all directly connected to the clutchbell, get what Im saying? Everything thats slowing down the car, friction of wheels, slight turns, lost of traction, wind, ect., its not just pushing on the car, its basically a brake to the clutchbell, when a vehicle *rc* is going 40 or 50mph is weights significantly more then it does *dry* or, standing still, get what Im saying? And thats weight against the clutchbell, if a vehicle weights 11 pounds, and its going to 40, its prolly gonna weight 18 pounds when revved to max speed, this causes the shoes to slip constantly cause as you speed up or slow down the shoes either gain or lose traction with the clutchbell, its always slipping,! thats why its called a SLIPPER clutch.

Limitations of Centrifugal Clutches *quote from link*
Centrifugal clutches have two main drawbacks. First, their engagement is not very positive, thus they are not appropriate for transferring significant torque or power; they have a tendency to slip if loaded very heavily. Second, they do not engage or disengage reliably. This creates a safety hazard since a clutch may not engage and stop the mechanism reliably when the engine is idled down. If an operator relies on the clutch to stop the head of a string trimmer or the chain of a chainsaw when the engine is idled, he could be seriously injured when the string head or chain continues to rotate.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/lawn_g...ll+Engines.htm

-------------

There are several advantages to a centrifugal clutch: * Ill even give you a link thats working against my arguement and explain to you *

-It is automatic. (In a car with a manual transmission, you need a clutch pedal. A centrifugal clutch doesn't.)
-It slips automatically to avoid stalling the engine. (In a car, the driver must slip the clutch.)
-Once the engine is spinning fast enough, there is no slip in the clutch. * True to a certain extent *
-It lasts forever. *100% confident that this is false, and everyone on the forum experienced this *

http://home.howstuffworks.com/chainsaw4.htm

---

Alright, the second article, it says on the 3rd line, Once the engine is spinning fast enough, there is no slip, this is true at some point, but theres a catch, thats not whats happening when your using the machine, sure you can lift up a car and over revv the engine while the wheels are off the ground, when you max it out, there is no slip, heres the big sentence, BECAUSE there are no forces working against the clutch, but it fails when the car is on the ground and its always slipping, non stop. * you dont drive your car with the wheels off the ground *

4th line on the second article,, thats a load of crack, we've all had burnt out shoes or rubbed down material, they dont last forever, this is false. How can a material last forever when it needs to slip and create friction against another material just to work? Sure you can say if used with utmost care, they can last a good amount of years, but not forever.

Sorry about my negativity in some sentences, it comes out naturaly when I debate about something and its nothing personal.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Racer100

Let me refrase myself if your having trouble thinking about every single item that Im 100% confident is true, an 11 pound RC car gains weight, somewhere along the lines of 4+ pounds, when it travels top speed, if you havent been educated on the principle of wind and pressure. Im not saying exactly 7 pounds more, but it does gain weight, and yes actual weights *1:1*, gain weight as they travel faster no they dont ***** triple their weight like your retarded assumption, what formula are you using? My estimation of an actual car weighting 3000 pounds going approx, 100 mph, it weights 3800 pounds, thats max., if you look into race and weight saving, aerodynamics, youll realize what Im talking about. I dont even wanna explain this in 3 paragraphs, someone else will because its so simple..

Next.

Chain saws use the same clutch as rc cars, I was giving an example. And if you didnt know chain saws have bigger clutchs, and if something is bigger in scale its easier to understand and you see every pro, con in the certain mechanizm if its in a larger scale because everything is bigger and its easier to notice.

Next.

Centrifugal Clutch = Slipper Clutch, hence it ***** slips against the clutchbell to go forward. self explanitory.

Next.

As an engine gets bigger, a.e. more liters, a.e. bigger pistons, longer stroke, the RPMs slow down, you can see this everywhere, Let me give you can real time example..

Formula F1 and a Diesel Truck, F1, approx 2.4 liters, 8 cylinder, Truck, 6.6 liters, 8 cylinders, F1 redlines at almost 20k and truck redlines at 4k , im not sure everything is exact but Ill explain, in a bigger engine you need less rpms to do the same thing as a smaller engine at higher rpms. Thats why you see those 1.0 liter motorcycles redline at 16k+ rpms. Its easier for a smaller piston to do the 4 stroke, a.e. up and down faster, then the bigger cyl, more mass = heavier = harder to go up and down faster.

Yep Im sorry Im pissed off, but I ticks me off the less fortunate folks cant read something that I explained 3 times and then ask me about it in a post after they quote a huge amount of text.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:14 PM
savagejb

Wow. This is one crazy thread: chill everyone. Can't we just be friends

So the best I understand these things is this way. When an object is turned about a radius, something called centripetal force is created. This means that the center of gravity of this body in motion wants to accelerate away from the center of that turning point. This is the basic principal behind the clutches we use. As the RPMs increase, the velocity of the clutch shoes (bodies in motion) increases, thereby increasing the acceleration with which they move away from the center of the circle about which they are turning, thereby increasing this thing called centripetal force required to keep them in place: check this site out http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/cf.html. So now, what's happening is, as the rpms get way up there, it takes a lot of force to hold the shoes in place or centripetal force (what the clutch bell is doing). Essentially a normal force is created, and the force with with the clutch is turned is equal to this centripetal force times either a static (stationary) or kinetic (in motion) coefficient, usually called Mu (Greek letter). Mu is greater when the clutch is not slipping, less when it is. To understand this, think about moving a dresser. That initial shove to get it moving (static Mu) really sucks, but once it gets going (kinetic Mu, slipping clutch) it isn't so bad. So the force to overcome the mass times acceleration (weight) of the dresser that holds it in place (mass times acceleration time Mu) is greater when it isn't moving, than when it is.

So what does this have to do with what everyone is talking about?

1) I have a really hard time believing that the shoes do not fully engage and move into this static Mu condition. The force generated by rotating the shoes about the crank at some 20-30k is quite large, and should be more than enough to fully engage and move the car forward without slippping. The slipper clutches take advantage of the slipping along the clutch bell to function much like your left foot in an manual vehicle. If they engaged instantly, this would not be good (ever dropped the clutch?).
2) Weight is an interesting concept. Weight is really a measurement of force: here on Earth it is an object's mass times Earth's gravity. Weight and mass are usually used interchangably, but are not the same. However, if you want to say that the force (weight, liberally) on an engine's clutch increases as speed does, that is correct. There are aerodynamic forces at work, amongst other frictional forces (remember Mu?). And no, it is not simple. This does not mean, however, that the clutch is guaranteed to slip. If the resistance to the centripetal force times Mu is greater than the force required to keep the body in motion (the car) the clutch will not slip.
3) Don't believe BS you read on the internet (including this post). If you want to really know how something works, look it up in a reputable source (the library?), study physics, etc. Don't go about flaming someone in an internet post. I commend you for wanting to make a new product Racer100, but man, don't get so angry. And for everyone else flaming him, why? To what purpose? LOL'ing at someone is kinda rude, don't you think?

I've seen a lot of these types of threads around lately: people screaming at each other. Stop, chill, have fun, and enjoy the hobby. As for the other stuff, there are people who know about it out there, but I don't see why they would want to get into a flame war.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:36 AM
amwhite2005

Just thinking about your idea to make the clutch bell stop slipping when it get to a certain RPM. If you make some clutch shoes with a spike on the outside, and a small hole in the side of the clutch shoes, when the engine gets to that RPM, the clutch bells are spinning so fast that the force just pushes them out that bit further for the spike to hook into the hole, and the clutch shoes are engine are then joined. This would mean that all the engine revs would be transfered to the clutch bell.

Its only something I thought up just while reading your post, and it probably is actually do-able. But its a thought.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:51 AM
USERNAMEHERE

when I started this thread it wasnt my intention to start WW3, I was just asking a simple question
Old 09-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Racer100

Dont worry Im chill, the hook idea is exactly what I mean, it will work at a certain point, but it has its cons. think Im done posting on this thread. Ill just have to do testing with this myself later... I just wanted people to know how outrageously unuseful the clutch you guys use everyday is , and your rc car and engine has alot more power then you think.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Gravrober

ORIGINAL: USERNAMEHERE

when I started this thread it wasnt my intention to start WW3, I was just asking a simple question
WW3? not even close. I read nothing out of hand. discussions are how you learn or figure things out, absolutely nothing wrong with a debate that stays on topic and Ive read nothing out of hand or kindergartner name calling and what not.

Members should speak up if they feel information is questionable, wrong information left alone can spread like the plague. right or wrong at least its all out on the table. nobody is being attacked or freaking out...the only negative things Ive read are 2 posters over reacting telling everyone to chill and calling a small un violent debate War.....

and yes its ok to LOL at people sometimes, but its the snicker that really hurts..[sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-01-2006, 11:34 PM
gleebs

ORIGINAL: Racer100

Let me refrase myself if your having trouble thinking about every single item that Im 100% confident is true, an 11 pound RC car gains weight, somewhere along the lines of 4+ pounds, when it travels top speed, if you havent been educated on the principle of wind and pressure. Im not saying exactly 7 pounds more, but it does gain weight, and yes actual weights *1:1*, gain weight as they travel faster no they dont ***** triple their weight like your retarded assumption, what formula are you using? My estimation of an actual car weighting 3000 pounds going approx, 100 mph, it weights 3800 pounds, thats max., if you look into race and weight saving, aerodynamics, youll realize what Im talking about. I dont even wanna explain this in 3 paragraphs, someone else will because its so simple..
The above all depends on what the aerodynamics of the objects are. There is no basis for these random figures. A plane is a flying car. Some cars get lighter when they travel faster.

Also, If you are going to post links backing up your position, make sure they back your position.

Savagejb had some very good points. I would just like to add. Although weight changes. Mass is constant and in the instance of clutch shoes we are not talking about the weight against the clutch bell we are talking mass. That mass increases with rpm.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:02 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Whoa! This is a very heated discussion.

I like the idea of Racer100's "clips" of engaging a lock-up. I wonder if such a design would be feasible?
I am guessing the "clip" springs have a higher tension and require more rotating energy to move them out of their closed positions. This would be ideal since a sudden lock-up jolt are lower RPM would put stress on all the drivetrain parts as well as teh engines intrnals.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:12 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

a 3,000 lb car traveling at 100 mph still only weighs 3,000 lbs, but when it hits something, ti's with tens of thousands of pounds of force.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:24 AM
SAVAGEJIM

^^^That is the concept of work-energy and impulse-momentum theorems. A 3000lbf car moving a 100MPH has a very high kinetic energy and when it crashes into something, work is done to stop it. The shorter the stopping distance, the greater the force is requried to stop it.
Also, the momentum of the car being stopped in a very short amount of time requires a great amount of force too.

That is why we have the saying "it is not the speed that kills you, it is the suddon stop" (This saying is not correct in terms of physics since momentum has a velocity factor. The change in time to stop which is very small means that a massive force factor is required to equal the momentum.)

Anyway, enough of physics. A 3000lbf car moving at 20MPH has WAY more momentum than a 12lbf Savage also moving at 20MPH just because of the mass difference. (Oops! more physics! Sorry guys!)
Old 09-02-2006, 02:31 PM
gleebs

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

a 3,000 lb car traveling at 100 mph still only weighs 3,000 lbs, but when it hits something, ti's with tens of thousands of pounds of force.
Yeah that would be 440,000 lbf/sec, if I remember my physics correctly.

Bottom line, I would wager that were I to do the math I could prove that aluminum clutch shoes do not slip once the engine is full rpm and the savage is top speed, on the road. I just took some aluminum and slid it against my clutch bell. It doesn't slide very well. These two materials practically stick to each other. Rolling resistance on the road is minimal, it is not near what a chain saw would encounter hacking through a tree. However, I don't want to do the math, except maybe someday out of sheer morbid curiosity. There are just so many factors to plug in I am going to just stick with what I feel is true and leave it at that. Hey, but at least we have an answer to the original question in the thread.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Racer100

Yep Overall this was a great thread, I do not regret posting anything, cause I got some people thinking...

ThunderbirdJunkie although you have close to 8000 posts...and I have high respect for that, you said this.. a 3,000 lb car traveling at 100 mph still only weighs 3,000 lbs, I never said the mass changes.

Let me explain....Alright when you step on a scale your putting pressure on the scale to weight yourself, if you were to have a 100 mph fan on top of your head pushing the wind against you... believe it or not, your weight would increase dramatically.. this is the concept of pressure. Now this is the same exact thing that is happening with a car... cars dont slice through the air like warm knifes through butter, its more complicated then it seems. If you get a light sportscar like the.... Lotus Exige, it weights approx 2000lbs bone dry, no human and no fuel... now take a look at this diagram with the downforce.

http://www.parkplaceltd.com/pages/files/exige.aspx btw the weight is at the bottom of the page, and this is one of the lightest sports cars in the world.

Where it has the stock elise and then the exige with more aeroducts and spoilers up front to produce pressure against the car to then push weight against the wheels to gain grip so you can turn at higher speeds....yes my estimation was waay off.. 800 pound gain would be with something like a city bus because it has no aerodynamic qualities, but that doesnt matter thats why they made it... its going 60mph max.. the engine on that thing cant feel those extra 1k pounds because its a diesel.

Furthermore Im not saying the mass changes...thats impossible...isnt that like a law of physics.. idk.. im only 16 years old... but the car engine feels this pressure and its like more weight basically..... I mean if you study cars and aerodynamics....wind is the enemy .

Gleebs Id like you to do that testing not only for the thread but just for yourself, remember I have no doubt that the maximum speed is reached to the wheels and the clutch and bell are in sync when the car is lifted up...but... when its on the ground thats another story in a whole entirely different setting with a different wolf and pigs.

Love this link... http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=aerodynamic
Old 09-02-2006, 03:02 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Dang! very good Racer100! you have a very good grasp of the concepts of physics!

I tell you what, when you get to college and begin to take courses in fluid dynamics, you will totally apreciate your knowledge you have now.

Thats true, the diagram showing the down force affecting the Lotus at speed shows just how fluid dynamics can increase the force needed to to cause the care to slip and skid.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:43 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Racer100

ThunderbirdJunkie although you have close to 8000 posts...and I have high respect for that, you said this.. a 3,000 lb car traveling at 100 mph still only weighs 3,000 lbs, I never said the mass changes.
Sorry, I just reread and you did not, in fact, say that.

And just because I have close to 8,000 posts does NOT mean I know what I'm talking about, it just means I'm good at talking about it (or I have nothin better to do)
Old 09-03-2006, 12:55 AM
Racer100

Alright my bad.....

Thanks SavageJim. I try.

Although Im a bit confused how an aerodynamics' conversation turned into mass and crashing force? lol
Old 09-03-2006, 06:22 AM
AJ DRAGON

Hi

Quote: Racer100

“Centrifugal Clutch = Slipper Clutch, hence it ***** slips against the clutchbell to go forward. self explanitory.â€

I am sorry to say that I have to disagree with you. A slipper clutch is not a centrifugal clutch. The centrifugal clutch is a friction clutch that is used to transfer the power of the engine to the tranny, and the slipper clutch regulates how much of that transferred power actually gets used by the tranny. Also just to let you guys know there actually is a RC car that has a torque converter, the Lois XX and I think it is called the hydrodrive.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84682.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	518072  
Old 09-05-2006, 05:20 PM
fxrs

http://www.physicsmatters.org/relativity/sun.html

What would you see if you could travel at 186,000 miles per second
the speed of light? Einstein spent a lot of time working this out.
The things he discovered were so strange that people had to start
thinking about the universe in a completely new way.
Einstein found that space and time are connected, and
that it is better to talk about them as one thing spacetime
(Light Cone). He showed that objects get heavier as
they travel faster, and that their size shrinks in the
direction they are moving. Time also passes slower on
a clock traveling at high speeds than on a clock
at rest (Clock, Train, Twin Paradox).

We don’t see these
effects in everyday life because cars and bikes don’t go
fast enough to experience changes that we can measure.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:37 PM
gleebs

Woah, woah, woah,

back the truck up here. We are but humble bashers.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:58 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: fxrs
Einstein spent a lot of time working this out.
The things he discovered were so strange that people had to start
thinking about the universe in a completely new way.
Einstein found that space and time are connected, and
that it is better to talk about them as one thing spacetime
(Light Cone). He showed that objects get heavier as
they travel faster, and that their size shrinks in the
direction they are moving. Time also passes slower on
a clock traveling at high speeds than on a clock
at rest (Clock, Train, Twin Paradox).
The theory of relativity is still a theory, and therefore IMO not worth bringing up in a discussion about toy cars
Old 09-05-2006, 08:38 PM
brownstone101

yea i think this is funny how we bring science into RC cars... as much as i love this hobby they are still toy cars to me.. just REALY REALY expencive and thats what brings them out of the toy caticory into a diffrent one but in the end there toy modle scale cars always has always will. if we put all this science into a real car i bet you we would have some nice cars[8D]
Old 09-05-2006, 08:41 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

actually all this science is put into building RC cars...and real cars

that's why you don't die from a steering column being shoved through your chest in modern cars, LOL
Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
brownstone101

no i know that. but i find its funny how all u guys are fighting about it.. most the time manufactures put something there for a REASON. thats why removeing seat belts is a bad idea. same with RC the only time you guys should fight about this is when they do something stupid with the jato like put a .20 in it...its kinda like our independence from britan. when you mess up we will fix other wise why fix something thats not broke this clutch design has worked for a long time. why change a good thing. its simple enough for any one to figure out. so what if it slips, upgrade it to aluminum. it will slip its designed to you guys are allways geting down to the exact mm on how persise these cars are. no wonder we fight so much about RC's cause its not to every ones standard.