Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

new hopups

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:52 PM
nvcwby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new hopups

I need some help, so I am reading how everyone is able to do wheelies and are getting so much power out of their X's and I feel I am missing out. I am using 20% fuel, I put in the three speed tranny, rechargeable battery pack for the receiver, aluminum Team losi clutch, 15t BC, 49T Spur. I have run about 3/4 of a gallon through the engine, I know that it is still breaking in but it seems like I should have more power. I raced a revo and he blew me away at the beginning then we were running about the same speed on a straightaway. I have found that if I let my engine idle for more than a couple of minutes, it has to rev to high RPM before it will even move, but when it warms up it has more punch, but it isn't even close to having the power to wheelie. Once it hits its 3rd gear watch out, it is cooking, and when it is nice and hot it will even switch to 2nd and third gears when it is on gravel cuz it is spinning out nice, I definitely have great speed and power at higher gears. What do you guys think, I feel that the tuning is pretty good, I am concerned it is the clutch since it is not moving until really high rpm at the start, and takes off slow til it gets really hot. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Revo Eater

Default RE: new hopups

Get a good tuned pipe. I use the HPI polished pipe. I had wheelies any time I wanted with the stock 4.1, Mugen clutch, and the pipe. Those were about the only major upgrades I had at the time.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Chronic

Yep, a pipe is the next step.

Right after I bought my LE a friend of mine went and picked up a new Revo(2.5). With both trucks completely stock I could outrun him maybe 4 out of 5 times, depending on who launched better. That was with the stock clutch, and the only difference between yours and the LE is the pipe.

Sounds like your low speed needle is out of whack too. A stock X should jump off the line just as strong as the Revo but get pulled after that. If he's pulling you that hard on takeoff then something is wrong.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:23 PM
-SomeGuy-

Yeah i think your LSN might be a little rich.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:05 PM
bennyblanco

you need some tuning mess with your low speed needle lean it out!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 10:11 PM
-whitey-

ORIGINAL: savage.27

yea what he said and also i think the tuned pipe is the way to go u should get a ths pipe but with iluminum pipes theyl scorche ur finger when u try to shut i off
Old 09-05-2006, 11:19 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

whitey...if your engine is tuned right, a quick tap of the stinger will shut it right off. I never burn my finger on any of my many pipes
Old 09-05-2006, 11:25 PM
bennyblanco

thats true!!!
ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

whitey...if your engine is tuned right, a quick tap of the stinger will shut it right off. I never burn my finger on any of my many pipes
Old 09-06-2006, 06:18 AM
itsnotskidding

my "X" is stock apart from a hotbodies exhauste, and the 4.1 .... lilly wheelis on demand, low end needle flush with carb as in manual....

love it!!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Gravrober

ORIGINAL: whitey5150

ORIGINAL: savage.27

yea what he said and also i think the tuned pipe is the way to go u should get a ths pipe but with iluminum pipes theyl scorche ur finger when u try to shut i off
pinching the fuel line is works great if you need to shut down, other than that I just run it out of fuel.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:10 PM
ELITE913

if u use an exaust deflector, when u go to choke it off, its not even a little hot! its just warm and comfertable on your finger. exaust deflectors also make it a little quieter and they direct the oil away from the truck so it gets a little less dirty.