Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Front wheel of Savage X wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:42 PM
zsultan
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel of Savage X wobbles

Hi,

Last week end my Savage X went under a car and broke one front shock, upright set, rim and tire. I replace these broken parts today and found that the new tire wobbles.
couldnt find anything that is unusual.

Can some one help me figure out whats causing the wobble. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2006, 11:19 PM
gleebs

Default RE: Front wheel of Savage X wobbles

Did you replace your axle? If it received such a blow it could be bent.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Chronic

What else wobbles? Does the axle wobble too?... How about the knuckle?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:35 PM
nkbrisson

if everything else is new, the only thing that can wobble is the axle, because its the only thing that turns, best bet to see if it is the axle, switch it side, but keep the tires on the same side, if it wobble on the other side then yes your axle is toast, but if the tire and rims still wobble on the original side, then you tire and rim might not be any good, or they were glued wrong.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:36 AM
zsultan

I forgot to mention that only the new tire i replaced in the front wobbles, other one in the front is ok.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 12:16 PM
youie

I experienced wheel problems initially, only do discover the culprit is the bolt screw that hold the wheels tightly in place. The bolt screws hav a flanged lip and this does not cover the entire surface area of the mounting point in the wheel. So when you tighten it, excessive force drives the nut into the plastic deeper than it ought to be thus causing wobbly wheels. The best solution is to look at the surface area where the nut seats inside the wheel and buy inecpensive washers which will help spread the load over the plastic surfacr area in the wheels and then tighten the nut. This worked an absolute treat for me.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:42 PM
zsultan

Thanks youie ,

All the wheels wobble little bit, but the new one wobbles little bit more. I will check the bolt.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:11 PM
youie

Check the bolt whilst the wheel is still in place. If this is the problem then you will notice that the nut has dug its way into the plastic on one side (basically it will be seated at an angle). An appropiate sized washer will do the trick. Make sure the washer is larger than the flange on the nut but not too big so as not to fit into the seating area. I hope I have worded this correctly!!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:00 PM
zsultan

youie,

Do you think wobble in the front tire will affect the performance of the Savage X? I checked the bolt and it looks ok.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2006, 04:46 PM
youie

Well steering your savage wont be as precise. Elevate your truck on a block of wood (or a suitable stand) and then rotate each wheel one by one and see which one wobbles. For eg. if the front left wheel wobbles alot, then remove it and fit it to the back axle and then rotate it again by hand if it wobbles in the same way as it did when it was fitted to the front axle, then I'd say the wheel nut has distorted the area where the nut seats. Try this with each wheel and on different axles, this way you will know if it is the Wheel or the axles that are at fault.

Inspect closely the area where the wheel nut seats inside the wheel, make sure when the nut is sat flat when fitted in place.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:49 PM
zsultan

Thanks Youie,

I ll try that
Old 09-08-2006, 01:11 AM
zsultan

i replaced the wheel that wobbles with the wheel from the back which doesnt. Front wheels are ok. I think the rim and tire are not glued properly. Thats what i could
think of. Is little wobble normal? remaning 3 tires wobble very little but the new one wobbles a lit bit more.

Please advise what should i do.

Thanks