Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Which transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Mister_Scary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which transmitter?

I'm asking this here because the last post on the "ask your questions here" thread seemed to be done now?

Anyway.....I'm going to be getting one of those Micron V2 micro heli's and I need to buy a transmitter for it. Although the heli only requires a four channel, I'd like to get something with more channels so I can use it to operate other RC machines that may require a transmitter with more channels.
I guess my questions are:

Where do I start looking to find the ultimate transmitters with all the bells and whistles?

Do they sell transmitters that are able to operate multiple machines (not at the same time) with the flip of a switch/press of a button?

Do they sell any that will display not only the battery strength left in the transmitter, but also the battery strength left in the machine?

Do I buy individual "crystals" for each machine that will all fit into and work with the transmitter?

Does the transmitter hold multiple crystals at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Mister_Scary

Default RE: Which transmitter?

Me again.

I was just looking at the Hitec Eclipse 7 FM w/Spectra and I think it's the one I want. Then I noticed some of the other transmitters are "PCM" (which seems to add around $200) but the one I want doesn't have it.

What is this PCM?

Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Fliprob17

I would research the Futaba and Hitec websites to find out what is best for heli's. I am using the Futaba 6EX-PCM for airplanes and is has most of these features you are talking about. Most computer systems have a model memory of 6-10 or so models. You can individually program in the rates, end point adj., etc....for each model in memory, Usually you just hit a couple of buttons to switch from one model to the next in the TX. I do not know if there is a TX that reads the strength of battery left in the plane/machine, all I have seen is ones that measure the voltage left in the TX. Yes, you will by individual crystals for each receiver in each machine, for most radio systems. Just make sure the channel of the crystals you are buying for the RX's match the one in your TX. I do not believe there is a TX that holds multiple crystals, but I do believe there is one that changes it's channel without the use of crystals.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Fliprob17

There are PPM-Pulse Position Modulation also known as FM or Frequency Modulation and PCM-Pulse Code Modulation transmission modulations available. If you go with a PCM unit, you can use PCM only receivers, but most TX's have the PPM or FM as a standard with the PCM as an option. The PCM modulation allows for most TX's to enable a "Failsafe" mode, which allows you to tell the receiver what to do if interference is received, it allows you to set all of the servos/channels to a pre-determined position.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Gulliver

You will be hard pressed to find a transmitter mith more bells and whistles than the Futaba 14MZ ~ $2,000
Old 09-08-2006, 04:43 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

I am a fan of the Futaba 7C and 9C. Clear and easy to program with lots of multiple models and modes of operation. I would not get a spektrum module (just get receiver crystals that match the transmitter). 7C's are about $150 and 9C are $400.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spektrum DX6 would fill the bill. 6 channels, failsafe. 10 model memory. In other words, you can program 10 models in it. No crystals needed. Beeps when the transmitter gets low. Has heli programing in it. No need to wait for an open channel as it finds its own open channel. Around 200 bucks US.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:54 PM
flyingace451

The Futaba 7c/9c is definately the way I'd go. You can buy them in heli version and plane versions...but not both in one Tx (I wish they made that). Forget all of the fancy stuff, nothing is easier than unplugging a crystal and plugging one in. If you just want to fly and don't want to get into big and crazy stuff in the future, the Futaba 7c will last you a long time.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:38 AM
highflyer65

You might want to have a look at the Polk hobbies Tracker III it has more bells and whistles then the Hitec or Futaba . It's also a little less money. The DX6 is nice and if all you intend to use it for is park flyer's then go for it but be advised it lack's range for anything else. Polks web site is www.polkshobby.com
Old 09-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Mister_Scary

Thanks for the replies so far!!!

The transmitter will be for my Micron V2, since it doesn't come with one. But I want to be able to use the transmitter for all the cool RC machines that I plan to get in the future. So far, my hydrofoam and dragonfly have their own transmitter(s) and the F27c Stryker that I'm about to get also comes with it's own transmitter.

Will it be possible (with the right crystals) to operate the dragonfly, hydrofoam and Stryker with the Hitec Eclipse that I want (so far)?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Fliprob17

Yes, if you get new crystals for each receiver that match the channel of your new TX.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Doz_75

Multiplex Cockpit SX