Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extra 330 Or Edge 540t???????

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Extra 330 Or Edge 540t???????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 11:08 PM
stikman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra 330 Or Edge 540t???????

540t's stink!!! wally wouldnt be able to fit into the horribly elongated canopy of the 540t. besides wally hates them

Stikman
Old 01-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Badge
My Feedback: (21)

I agree the 540T is such an ugly duckling nothing says mean like a 540.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:25 AM
hovermaster
My Feedback: (2)

Default 540

YES
I think the 540T is totaly not an edge. I love the looks of the 540.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:45 AM
3Dfalcon

I like the extra as a perfect hybred for all aspects of flying.

80% of the planes at the TOC were extras, and yes I know why they are flying them, but did you see Jason,Christoph,Caglia,McConnavil or any of these guys 3D!!
Would they be doing it any better with an edge? NOT!!

Did you also see the first super bowl of 3D(XFC).
How about a kid with an extra 330 taking SECOND only to the word champ Chip. Ive seen Garret doing rolling harriers in very high alpha a foot off the ground. Oh and 80% of the pilots at the XFC were flying carden edges.
Dont get me wrong the edge is a great 3D plane but 3D to me is a whole package Including harriers,blenders, piont rolling circles,low torque rolls and beatifull low knife edge passes,wich by the way the extra dose better. Just an opinion
Old 01-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Luke 3D

the main factor that makes the planes fly better is the pilot.Everybody is saying that such and such plane is better because they were flying backwards in a slide slip while eating a ham sandwich blah blah blah but the truth of the matter is that it is the pilot that counts. Put an edge and an extra up against each other and the best pilot will win.Look at Chip Hyde who won the TOC with a biplane!They are known to be a lot harder to fly accurately than any of the monoplanes, so why did Chip win against all these other amazing pilots with 'better' planes? Because he was practising his socks off instead of wasting his time wondering which plane was the best.Sorry for my agressive attitude but you guys will do pretty much the be it an edge, extra or and ultimate. Its the practise that counts.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:49 PM
Badge

Default Extra v Edge

In total agreement with you Luke, buy what you think looks good to you, naturally the edge is far prettier
Old 01-16-2003, 09:55 PM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Default pilot

I completely agree with you also. It doesn't mater if you have a 40% Edge, Extra, or whatever if you are not a good pilot you wont be able to do anything with that plane. I've seen guys with 40% planes who couldn't fly worth beans and I've seen guys with .40 size planes who were great pilots. I totaly agree that is all maters on how good the pilot is.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:32 PM
mecaloj

Default Edge vs extra

Funny you should ask about the Extra. In the February issue of either RCM or MAN there is a very good article that talks about the Extra and its 3-D capability. For example; first there is no such thing as a full scale Extra 330. The Extra 300 got its name from the horsepower of its engine (300 HP). When someone put the 330 hp engine in the newer ones, folks in the RC manufacturing world started calling it the Extra 330, but the real airplane kept the extra 300 name just with the bigger engine option. (It has to do with the FAA certification process, the fact that its a French manufactured airplane and other complications, so the real airplane kept its old name.)

Now for the 3-D stuff. A full scale Extra flyer modified his Extra 300 L to the 300XL (or LX) version based on improvements in the airplane he saw RC'rs incorporate in their TOC airplanes. The X in the Extra 300XL name came from installing bigger flight controls and stabilizers on the original fuselage. The horizontal stab was lowered 8% to fix a trim coupling problem and the full scale guys adopted these changes in their airplanes. The X in the full scale airplanes name stands for eXperimental. Again, the full scale airplane was not re certified with the bigger surfaces on it, so its flown under an experimental airworthiness certificate.

Anyway, if you want a model of an Extra for 3-D flying you should insure it is one of the X type with bigger surfaces and relocated horizontal stabilizer.

Weather the RC manufacturers know about this probably depends on which manufacturer you get your airplane from. So, you have to be careful to ensure they are not just selling an extra 300L as an Extra 330XL just because they like the name.

Of course you know the S in the Extras name stands for single seat and the L stands for duel seats.

I'm just repeating what I read from memory, so don't take it as gospel. The article is very well written and explains this stuff much better than I did.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:58 PM
hovermaster

Default IMAC/3D

I think any plane ( Edge, Extra, Ultimate ) can be a great flying 3D and IMAC. It all depends on how well the pilot is and how well the plane is set up.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:56 PM
funfly33

Pilot maybe, plane could be but I think it's them new computer
radios LOL
Old 01-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Badge

LOL good one FunFly!
Old 01-18-2003, 09:51 PM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Default Hello Jon (Rudder Magic)

Hey there Jon , how ya been ? Hope all is well there in your new home of Kentucky. I feel bad for any of you IMAC guys out in that area , cause if Jon has any time to compete there you may be in trouble because Jon is an awesome flyer and definitly knows how to do real MAGIC with that rudder !! And Jon is a super GREAT guy too ! We miss ya buddy ! Well I have to add my 2 cents about this plane issue now. I have flown many planes over the years and as much as we LOVE our AW Edge 540, I have to say that Jon's Radio Craft Extra 330 LX rules !!
Both in precision and 3D ! Chris and I have both flown it some (thanks so much Jon) and it is truly an amazing flying plane that is such a wonderful pleasure to fly !! I do agree totally that any good plane that is set up right , will do great in the hands of a skilled pilot who burns a lot of fuel / gas !!! The fact still remains that some planes can sure help a skilled pilot (or not so skilled) do real well. The thing is to remember that this is a great hobby and we need to keep having FUN and enjoying ourselves and the great fellowship of other modelers. Sorry that may of been 3 cents ? Take care, Rod (Hovermaster / Chris's old man)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	48247_800.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	28958  
Old 01-19-2003, 12:31 AM
hovermaster

Default Jon

Yes, Jon is an excelent pilot. he is one of the best I have ever seen. You guys in Kentucky better watch out!!