Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

SAVAGE MANUAL

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:45 PM
magictrev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAVAGE MANUAL

Im new to nitro trucks and my hobby store told me to disregard the manual when it comes to the 3 idle screws. They told me the manual and settings it lists are for california temperature and humidity and altitude? They said living in the middle of canada, I should not follow there settings. They adjusted all 3 of them the firsttime we started it up. Anyone else have comments on this? Thats why sometimes I may ask simple dumb questions, I'm really just trying to learn as much as possible.
trev
Old 09-19-2006, 08:06 PM
mhovanes21

Default RE: SAVAGE MANUAL

Hmmm, interesting.....I just ran my Savage for the first time today and had lots of start-up trouble. If the factory settings were tuned for Cali weather, then you living in Canada, and me in New England, I would think that our trucks should start up easier because the air is more dense...not the case today though lol.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:10 PM
chubbysuncle

Sounds like BS to me. You need to properly tune the engine for it's running conditions. A warm day in the70's F you may need to lean out the HSN a bit. Cooler 40F day you may need to richen it up some. The manual only gives the base starting settings but tells you how to tune it for the best performance. It sounds to me like you need to find another shop or fine tune your Sav and take it back and show this guy how well they can run if you tune it right.
The engine should be run fairly rich for the first bunch out tankfuls. The engine will be easier to run during break in if you lean it out BUT you may sacrifice proper lubrication and damage that new engine. Real tuning should begin after the 5th or 6th tank minimum.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:26 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Factory settings are nothing but a starting point now as far as finally settings they will differ. Settings can change in the same location from morning to afternoon do to humidity, temperature and so on. The manual does not give any final settings I am aware of and you always tune for your location and weather. All so they are not all called idle screws and I know the manual tells you their proper name.