Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

What's new in Savage X SS kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Nitroxda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's new in Savage X SS kit?

I trying to decide between Savage X RTR and Savage X SS Kit.
What upgrade does the X SS have that the RTR doesn't?
As a total newbie to Savages, reading the specs and comparing it is making me confused

All I know is :

RTR comes assembled, radio set, rotor start, 4 gear diff, 4.1 engine,
SS comes in kit, no radio, any rotor start?, diff with alloy cups?, 4.6 Nitro Star engine and what else?

Is there any upgrade in TVP, CVD and dogbones, Tranny or other stuffs?

TIA for your input
Old 09-18-2006, 12:59 AM
JayC1968
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: What's new in Savage X SS kit?

The ss x 4.6 has of course the .28 engine and the heavy duty drive train.
The X 4.6 SS is the way to go......... BLUNT and to the point. If ya are looking for a NICE Futaba 3PM-FM with crystals (TX & RX), PM me.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:31 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just posted on savage-central:

"Most people will have no trouble with the X tranny case. I've ran mine with no problems for about 9 gallons. But, we know that there are some people who do have problems, and it's no fun for us to get those phone calls or read about the problems on the forums.

The issue of stripped gears is complicated to diagnose without seeing the truck. It is often caused by a combination of factors, such as:

1. Loose or missing screws
2. Cracked engine mount or plate
3. Incorrect gear mesh
4. Slipper too loose or too tight
5. Worn teeth on the spur and/or clutchbell
6. Driving style
7. Extremely powerful engine
8. Clutch slipping too much
9. Extreme driving conditions

We tested a LOT to try to find out what was causing the problems. Is tranny flex part of the problem? In the end there was no conclusive single problem or solution. So, we decided to make a bunch of changes to make the Savage X SS the toughest Savage ever:

Extra screw in the tranny case
Extra webbing on the tranny case
Original style slipper
Hardened steel spur gear
Hardened clutch bell
Thicker engine plate
Revised chassis
Nose support built into the engine mount
Steel clutchbell spacer
Alloy diffs
Steel diff pin holders
Shimmed diff gears
Shimmed diff bearings

Hopefully those changes will eliminate most of the problems. If others pop up we'll do what we need to do to make it right. Unfortunately, changes take a while to make it into production. All of those changes are in SS kits shipping out right now, so you can imagine how long we have been working on the changes listed above. (Way before Herrsavage went on his campaign )

Most of the changes will be applied to the RTR Savage X and spare parts as soon as we can. No steel spur in the RTR, but a wider clutchbell, etc. Details and photos will be on our web site shortly."

REALLY pissed off now...
Old 09-18-2006, 01:43 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

REALLY pissed off now...
Betcha you wouldn't be if you would've just STFU'd and driven your X
Old 09-18-2006, 01:52 AM
HerrSavage

You need to ease off on all the STFU talk chief..
Old 09-18-2006, 02:11 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Anyway, for the OP.

Hold out for the X SS kit. I've got an X RTR currently. it's modified, i took care of the PROBLEMS WITH THE TRUCK that are problems on ALL SAVAGES before I ever drove it, and it's been a near flawless truck. the X SS is going to be even better, and I fully intend to weasle one out of the ol' lady (or my mom...in case that broad's not around anymore) for Christmas
Old 09-18-2006, 02:37 AM
HerrSavage

Brittle TVP's are not problems on "ALL SAVAGES" guy - nor should it be necessary to replace them as you did before you ever even run an RTR truck...
ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Anyway, for the OP.

Hold out for the X SS kit. I've got an X RTR currently. it's modified, i took care of the PROBLEMS WITH THE TRUCK that are problems on ALL SAVAGES before I ever drove it, and it's been a near flawless truck. the X SS is going to be even better, and I fully intend to weasle one out of the ol' lady (or my mom...in case that broad's not around anymore) for Christmas
Old 09-18-2006, 04:20 AM
Nitroxda

I'll wait a little for the X SS... I have to fight the feeling of grabbing the X RTR for now

PatrickBW, appreciate your detailed informations, but I have a few noob questions if you don't mind:
-What have HPI revised in the chassis?
-What does "Nose support built into the engine mount" means?
-"Alloy diffs" means alloy diff cups right?

Thunderbirdjunkie, I'm curious to know what have you done to your X that took care of the Savages problems, can you share it?

JayC1968, My location may be too far to have transaction with you, thanks for the offer anyway

Thanks again everyone.......anybody 'enjoy' waiting for his favourite MT truck to arrive?[:@]
Old 09-18-2006, 06:13 AM
Nitroxda

Is there Savage X stock body shell painted released in the market? Can't find it anywhere.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Gravrober

I cant help but wonder what will all the crying stay with plastic spur guys do when the forum starts to fill up with guys running steel spurs stock next year. will all the new XSS owners have mystery failures from running steel spurs like the plastic lovers claim? or will the plastic preachers be put to shame ....[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 09-18-2006, 12:16 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Nitroxda

I'll wait a little for the X SS... I have to fight the feeling of grabbing the X RTR for now

PatrickBW, appreciate your detailed informations, but I have a few noob questions if you don't mind:
-What have HPI revised in the chassis?
-What does "Nose support built into the engine mount" means?
-"Alloy diffs" means alloy diff cups right?

Thunderbirdjunkie, I'm curious to know what have you done to your X that took care of the Savages problems, can you share it?

JayC1968, My location may be too far to have transaction with you, thanks for the offer anyway

Thanks again everyone.......anybody 'enjoy' waiting for his favourite MT truck to arrive?[:@]
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4315363

^^read that thread...but it's all re-work for an RTR. 4.6SS guys that know what they're doing don't usually have any problems.

Also, aluminum clutch shoes are a must, at least for the older Savvys with plastic spurs, because the stock clutch will slip, heat up the clutchbell, and strip the spur. Since there's a steel spur, that won't happen now, but the fact remains that unless they're including a good aluminum clutch, it's going to have a crappy clutch that slips, so you might as well still upgrade it while you build the truck.

Also, shim your diffs. here's a good thread about it: http://www.savage-central.com/module...wtopic&t=24692

Nose support in the engine mount basically means they needed to revise the engine mount with support for the front of the crankcase (underneath the bearings, basically) because they "fixed" the chassis,because everybody *****ed about the old X chassis plates, and since they "fixed" the chassis, they needed to rework the engine mount so the crankcase didn't crack on inverted landings. what would happen on pre-X savages is (once in a GREAT while) one would land inverted, the engine head would be impacted, and the engine would tilt forward while the mounting ears on the crankcase were still stationary, thus breaking a crankcase. in less extreme, and far more common, examples, the engine plate would just bend. on the X, the chassis plates would bend instead of the engine mount plate.

Graverober, I don't know if 4.6SS owners will have problems with their steel spurs. I'm not-I'll just run an X slipper setup and spur gear just to piss everybody off
Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Gravrober

I cant help but wonder what will all the crying stay with plastic spur guys do when the forum starts to fill up with guys running steel spurs stock next year. will all the new XSS owners have mystery failures from running steel spurs like the plastic lovers claim? or will the plastic preachers be put to shame ....[sm=49_49.gif]
Is the X SS coming with a metal spur? Good thing as many do not know how to set up a plastic gear. I will not be put to shame, as I know how to set them up and get many gallons of fuel on the stock plastic. If you want to run metal do it but I do not see why I should as I know how to set up the plastic.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Revo Eater

You know this, and you know that.....STFU
Old 09-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Gravrober

ORIGINAL: 46u

ORIGINAL: Gravrober

Is the X SS coming with a metal spur? Good thing as many do not know how to set up a plastic gear. I will not be put to shame, as I know how to set them up and get many gallons of fuel on the stock plastic. If you want to run metal do it but I do not see why I should as I know how to set up the plastic.
I never said you had to run metal spur. aimed mainly at those that post in every steel spur thread just to beg others not to run alloy and brag that they can run plastic and how running a metal spur will destroy your trans blah blah blah....so if the shoe fits.

personally Im pro choice.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:56 PM
46u

I think I said if you what to run metal do it. The main reason I do not run one other then I do not have a problem with the plastic is if you ask any one that knows about physics rotating weight is a big HP eater. Yes I agree what ever makes a person happy.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Gravrober

ORIGINAL: 46u
I do not see why I should as I know how to set up the plastic.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Chronic

How much is all of this going to jack the price up?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:15 PM
46u

Towers does not have them in stock yet but they have a price of $439.99 and if I read it correctly it does come with a metal spur.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMYA2&P=0
Old 09-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Nitroxda

Thunderbirdjunkie,

Thanks for pointing me to the absolute direction... been reading there and getting many valuable infos

Frankly, I'm new to this forum and found a lot of the threads is getting out of the original topic, so if you open a thread by a subject, the content is just not it[&o]
Old 09-19-2006, 02:29 PM
R.s.D

also check out
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/hpi/hpic1861.html
but there are probably more updates on the x ss that arent on the tower site yet like the new tvps
Old 09-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Nitroxda

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Most of the changes will be applied to the RTR Savage X and spare parts as soon as we can. No steel spur in the RTR, but a wider clutchbell, etc. Details and photos will be on our web site shortly."

REALLY pissed off now...
Does that mean they are going to upgrade the current Savage X in the later production? How do we know which is which? Maybe they will come out with a Savage X SS RTR............?????????????!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 12:21 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

I'll guarantee a big fat NO on the X SS RTR, but an X LE is almost guaranteed to be around the corner.

I say just get the X SS kit and beat the piss out of it
Old 09-20-2006, 04:50 PM
crosscombe

Have the chance to get the SS kit, guess old stock, is the X ss worth waiting for (I really want a kit)?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Nitroxda

As I said before, I'm not familiar with savages but when I look closely at their specs between Savage X SS kit and old SS Kit, they both have 4.6 engine pullstart, dual disc brake, HD cups and dogbones CVDs.

The difference X SS has a X style Diff (easy removal), X tranny plus extra webbing, steel spur, revised X TVPs, some upgraded nose support engine mount and plastic rollbar and engine cooling head guard. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:58 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: crosscombe

Have the chance to get the SS kit, guess old stock, is the X ss worth waiting for (I really want a kit)?
depends on the deal you're getting on the old SS 4.6. I'd get the X SS, it's only a couple weeks away. buy a Tamiya TL01 to tide yourself over, only about $85 and you get to build it, lol

Nitro, you hit the nail on the head, and that engine mount alone is gonna be worth the wait IMO

OH, also the X SS is going to have hardened internal diff gears, aluminum diff cups...etc etc and so forth.