Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Camper Shell setup?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Camper Shell setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 02:35 AM
btyler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camper Shell setup?

I just purchased a camper shell for my Z71 and was wanting ideas about how to set it up for RC plane transportation. I am looking for ideas such as ways to chauk wheels, transport wings etc. Thanks for any ideas. Brad
Old 01-13-2003, 02:51 AM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Camper Shell setup?

Originally posted by btyler
I just purchased a camper shell for my Z71 and was wanting ideas about how to set it up for RC plane transportation. I am looking for ideas such as ways to chauk wheels, transport wings etc. Thanks for any ideas. Brad
Do a search on TRAILERS, you'll find a wealth of info. Show us your pics when your done. We're always looking for new and innovative ideas!!!
Old 01-13-2003, 05:13 AM
Azcat59

I hauled my planes in pickups with shells for 19 years.....I made a plywood shelf, supported on each side by the top of the bed/bottom of the shell, and running from the front to about 2 feet from the tailgate. Carpet it. Carry the planes on this, with the heavy stuff (tool boxes, starter box, gas, lawn chairs, ice chests, etc. on the bed of the truck below the shelf.

You can use a piece of 1/4" plywood, mount wheel chocks on each end of it, and rubber band the gear to this base so the plane can't hop out on bumps. Then put a piece of Velcro on the bottom of this plywood base, and it will not slide when you hit the brakes.

Makes a neat way to transport our planes. But I like my Ford Explorer better, with the seats down!
Old 01-14-2003, 12:44 AM
firemedic305
My Feedback: (27)

Default Camper hanger

PVC pipe to hold wing and fus up off floor. Gary
here is a Pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47152_14054.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	29068  
Old 01-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Cabane
My Feedback: (2)

I put two cargo rods with pipe insulation on them between the top and the bed. The rods are like shower curtain rods only a little heavier dutty. I put my wings on top of the rods and just set the fuses under them. I have a bungy stratched across the bed and the landing gear is attached to it with a even smaller bungy. A 4 Star 120 with one piece wing will fit this way and my truck is a short wide. The rods come out easy enough and easier to store than purpose built PVC racks.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:05 AM
OWIERK

Brad,
I started a thread that is the same as this one, I was looking for ideas for my truck. Check it out it might help?
Keith

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...561&forumid=63]