Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

best engine for low end and top end!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:08 PM
jdmintegra18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best engine for low end and top end!!!!!!

i have a savage x...and i had the werks/picco 27 in ...and i loved it but it started acting funny so i bought a new sts.30...all i can say is im very very unhappy with it..ive sealed it checked for air leaks and richen it and leaned it out...tried diffrent glow plugs and diff fuel..barley has enough power to pull the wheels off the ground and runs maybe 32-35 mph..and my picco motor would flip over backwards and run like a raped ape on top end was very hard to control at wot.....what do u yall think is a good motor overall..i dont care about price..i want something that going to start up and run realable..yet have plenty of power and tq..ive been lookin at the werk/collari .27 or .32..alot of people are saying the xtm motor is good..maybe the os .30 or a rb concepts or picco..give me your opion fellas thanks in adance
Old 09-24-2006, 05:16 PM
nkbrisson

Default RE: best engine for low end and top end!!!!!!

If price is no matter, and you want insane power, then get this Novarossi 528 hot mod. It might actually be to much motor for a savage. Anyhow that is my recomendation. If you want something alittle cheaper, then the LRP .28 spec 3, that is what i have in my warhead, and its crazy.

Nova link http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4869
LRP link http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ID=ASCLRP32802

enjoy

ORIGINAL: jdmintegra18

i have a savage x...and i had the werks/picco 27 in ...and i loved it but it started acting funny so i bought a new sts.30...all i can say is im very very unhappy with it..ive sealed it checked for air leaks and richen it and leaned it out...tried diffrent glow plugs and diff fuel..barley has enough power to pull the wheels off the ground and runs maybe 32-35 mph..and my picco motor would flip over backwards and run like a raped ape on top end was very hard to control at wot.....what do u yall think is a good motor overall..i dont care about price..i want something that going to start up and run realable..yet have plenty of power and tq..ive been lookin at the werk/collari .27 or .32..alot of people are saying the xtm motor is good..maybe the os .30 or a rb concepts or picco..give me your opion fellas thanks in adance
Old 09-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Top-cop-nj

I recently picked up the XTM 457 for my X, and this thing is a powerhouse!
Old 09-24-2006, 08:45 PM
jdmintegra18

sweet more info
Old 09-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Chronic

The XTM 457 is a killer. I've got it's cousin the LRP spec 2 and I don't think I could be happier. My Savage is about 10.5lbs and it almost has too much power in most cases. The engine is cheap, reliable, easy to tune, and it makes big power.... what else could you ask for?

If you are looking for an out of the box full-tilt racing mill, look no further than the Hot Mod Novarossi 528, but that's high dollar($400 retail) and really too much engine for most people.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:37 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recomend an Axial 32, then have it modded ....Once the 32 is modded correctly no 28 is going to touch it period... in a 13lb Savage running 19/47 it still does 30 mph wheelies, off the line its inane and the top end is ballistic... I have posted a video of a modded Nova and a Modded 32 and its clear as day the kind of power the 32 has over the Nova....

Once the modding starts there is no replacement for displacement.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:41 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

You are not even concerned about the mid range? You get a good .28 tuned properly and it will skin anything bigger as the engines get bigger the stroke gets longer and your RPM gets limited. Now your bigger engine to have more torque but less top end. So like anything you have to find a compromise! Just do a search on any engine science and you will see.
I say XTM 457, LRP .28 spec 3 or any other SH.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:51 PM
46u

Let me say this before someone gets their panties in a wad.

A Formula 1 engine of about 150 cubic inches (really a little less) will skin a NASCAR that is what at least twice as big! Do not know much about NASCAR Why because a Formula 1 engine will turn 19,000 plus RPM. Yes they both run pump gas not fuel! So bigger is not necessarily better! Yes this year Formula 1 went to 8 cylinders this year from 10 of years before.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:11 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: 46u

Let me say this before someone gets their panties in a wad.

A Formula 1 engine of about 150 cubic inches (really a little less) will skin a NASCAR that is what at least twice as big! Do not know much about NASCAR Why because a Formula 1 engine will turn 19,000 plus RPM. Yes they both run pump gas not fuel! So bigger is not necessarily better! Yes this year Formula 1 went to 8 cylinders this year from 10 of years before.

Bigger is better without question... comparing NASCAR engine to Formula One is completely ridiculous.. NASCAR engine are heavily regulated, and heavily restricted, as they are supposed to be " Stock Cars" they aren't even allowed to use Aluminum Heads or fuel injection, or DOHC engines.... NASCAR engines are run of technology from the 60's...Formula One pretty much is completely unlimited other then displacement and being naturaly aspirated.

As well the Formula One engine would not be able to run very well in a 3600 LB steel bodied race car....The Formula one's 3 liter 18000 rpm engine would barely push a stock car.

The Axial 32 has more potential then the SH 28 P6... The RPM's of the engine are determined by port timing, which is something that I change when I mod an engine... SO once the 32 is retimed it becomes a rocket...

I have modded and worked with both engine extensively..and in the end bigger is better whn your comparing the same technolgy of engines... Once they are ported they are like whole different engines... I have videos of both engine running in Savages, the ported XTM 457 and the Axial 32.... Both are awesome ! but I guarantee nobodies stock 28 is going to come close to the modded Axial 32...
Old 09-26-2006, 05:16 PM
46u

Do you have documented certified speed trap runs? Sorry if not it is all talk! How the heck do you say same comparison when you compare a mod engine to a stock? I agree a F1 engine would not push a NASCAR, as it is a RPM engine that is much smaller. I think this goes back to bigger has more torque as I said before! All so there are NO camshafts in an F1 engine what so ever!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:31 PM
leslie_p

Hi all,

I too am interested in this topic. I have a Sav X and I'm toying with a motor upgrade for next year. I'm pretty much sold on the LRP spec 3 from all I've read, so far. Are the motors mentioned here all drop in, with no mods?

Cheers,
Leslie
Old 09-26-2006, 05:32 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: 46u

Do you have documented certified speed trap runs? Sorry if not it is all talk! How the heck do you say same comparison when you compare a mod engine to a stock? I agree a F1 engine would not push a NASCAR, as it is a RPM engine that is much smaller. I think this goes back to bigger has more torque as I said before! All so there are NO camshafts in an F1 engine what so ever!
No speed runs on this one sorry....have had head to head drag races though with both ported motors... The XTM 457 won the last set of races by a narrow margin... We then fond the Axial trucks clutch was down to the wire and the clutch nut had loosened off, as well we had the HPI polished pipe onthe Axial... We fixxed the clutch, geared up and added a XTM 2 chamber.... The Axial we did has only mild timing work there is alot more that is being done, same witht he XTM as well...in the end both motors will share very similar timing, except the 32 has more displacement.... IMO the 32 is going to be the faster of the two....
Old 09-26-2006, 06:10 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: leslie_p

Hi all,

I too am interested in this topic. I have a Sav X and I'm toying with a motor upgrade for next year. I'm pretty much sold on the LRP spec 3 from all I've read, so far. Are the motors mentioned here all drop in, with no mods?

Cheers,
Leslie
Yes Leslie they are pretty much drop in. The LRP and the XTM are both made by SH.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:06 PM
leslie_p

Hi all,

Thanks 46u, I did not realize that they were both from SH. Do you know what the differences are? Or is this a re-badging thing?

Cheers,
Leslie
Old 09-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: supertib

I have posted a video of a modded Nova and a Modded 32 and its clear as day the kind of power the 32 has over the Nova...
I missed the video of the modded Nova. Where is that? I've seen them run in person lots of time, and I've seen a stock Axial(Surefire actually). Unless you have have a magic die grinder... it ain't happening. I'll give you a stock Nova, but I'd like to see either of your engines outrun a Hot Mod Novarossi 528 in comparably equipped trucks. I'm not saying %100 that it won't happen, but I have to see it to believe it. I would actually enjoy seeing it. I'm running the LRP spec 2 and it would be nice to know I can gain that much power from modding it.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:15 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: leslie_p

Hi all,

Thanks 46u, I did not realize that they were both from SH. Do you know what the differences are? Or is this a re-badging thing?

Cheers,
Leslie

Since I do not own either I cannot really say. But if you ask Thunderbirdjunky or Chronic I am sure one of them could tell you more. I do no when I get ready to replace my K 4.6, which is running super after more then 5 gallons I am considering one of the two. I all so try to keep my trucks with in the major sanction rules in hopes of one day racing in them. Sorry I was not much help.