Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

totaly new to this hobby

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Colt T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default totaly new to this hobby

well, as the title stated i know nothing about rc so please bare with me.

i am mostly interested in the internal combustion cars/trucks. internal combustion just seems cooler in my mind if i do get a car it will likely only see dirt and rocks.

so first off, what is the diffrence between nitro and gas and wich would you recomend for a first timer? how expensive are their fuels? i hear people saying something like "this engine is a .18" what does that mean, power/weight ratio? should i build one first? buy a kit mabey???

can you guys recomend a first car in the $100-$175 range that i can upgrade as i go along? i dont like the idea of a mini if that helps at all.

lastly, can anyone give me a some details on the mechanics of these things. id love to know about those little engines, suspension, exaust yada, yada, yada. and please be be specific, this is my third year in an engineering class. diagrams and good websites are very much appreciated.

thanks guys!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:08 PM
SpeedAddict

Default RE: totaly new to this hobby

Okay, first off, Nitro is easier. Nitro already has the lube mixed in and is more popular which equals more support and help. Also, gas only tends to be in bigger vehicles and you havce to remember to mix oil in with the gas. As far as price, Nitro is $25-$50 per gallon which depends on brand, and nitro content. 20% nitro fuel will run slower and cooler and make your engine and glow plugs last longer. 30% nitro fuel and higher will run faster and hotter, ususally used for racing and is more expensive than lower content fuels.
When people say ".18" they're reffering to the engine's size. .12, .15, and .18 are considered small block engines and are measured in ci (cubic inches). .21, .25, .28, .30, and higher are considered big block engines an are used for 1/8 scale or monster truckks because they have tons of power. They sometimes say cc (Cubic Centimeters). So a .28ci is the same size as a 4.6 cc. (I think)
Power to weight ratio depends on the engine. two engines can be the same size, but ported differently or made by different companies and produce totally different amounts of power. For example, some .18 ci engines barely produce 1 h.p. while others produce close to 2 h.p. It also depends on the nitro content in the fuel and the pipe. Tuned pipes dramatically increase power.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:29 AM
happywing

You need more money.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Internal combustion only? Geez, nobody cares about steam power anymore! Just kidding. Unfortunately, you're not likely to find many choices in new nitro cars/trucks and equipment within your set budget. What you do find will likely be of dubious quality and/or lack ANY local parts support. If you absolutely cannot raise more money(I remember what being on a college budget was like), I'd say your best bet is to look around for a name brand used car. If you look on ebay, you'll probably find tons of cars and trucks from Associated, Losi, Traxxas, and even Duratrax. Look around a bit and see what grabs your fancy. Since you say it will only see dirt and rocks, it sounds like you will likely want either a stadium truck or a monster truck. Gas models are definitely out of the set budget, so nitro is what you'll be looking at.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:54 PM
muddymoose92

You need alot of money, patience, and time! There is alot to learn.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:01 PM
chrobar

Well i think that a great beginner nitro truck is the traxxas nitro sport. Thats the one that ive got and its been goin good. also, it's only $220 on sale. It also comes with a engine replacement plan. Check out their website www.traxxas.com
good luck
Old 09-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Colt T

thanks guys! great info but the 175 wasnt my spending limit. i just dont want to go balls deep into this. i have done some research on traxxas nitro-sport. looks like a great car!

as for the fuel, ouch! 25 bucks a gallon is pretty bad. how long would that last me? now im actually thinking about going electric. is there any chance i could use another fuel than comercialy produced nitro? perhaps alcohol?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:03 AM
jnev

you can mix your own fuel, though I don't recomend doing it, and I'm not even sure how much $ you would save going that route... rather than a nitro sport (I have had multiple bad experiences with the pro 15) get a xtm nitro xcellerator. $250 on hobbypeople.net. it's a pretty sweet truck, has a lot of power and is pretty durable. another truck to consider is the rc10gt which is a bit more expensive.

electric will actually end up being close to the same price, if not more, once you add a peak charger (~$40) plus several battery packs.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Colt, go for electric if you don't want to spend so much. The initial cost is greater than that of a nitro, but a good battery will last you a year or so. Motors will not be that expensive, and if you go brushless off the bat, you don't have to worry. I would get a traxxas rustler rtr w/ XL-5 esc.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:11 AM
jnev

yep, if you do go electric your best bet is either the rustler or stampede if you're not racing.